Sight frustration

Gimli
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I dunno if it's just my massive head or just being stupid in some way, but i can't seem to get a RDS that isn't massively off target even after sighting it in properly with the iron sights, it's driving me bonkers

• Supporters

What do you mean? Off target in what way?

19 minutes ago, Gepard said:

What do you mean? Off target in what way?

I'll move my head a slight amount and the dot moves around

How close to your eye is the sight?

Am I right in thinking you have it almost touching the eyeball, like 1" away as close to the back of the gun as possible.

Move it forwards, try a full palm space away from the eye. Shoot with both eyes open.

14 minutes ago, Iceni said:

How close to your eye is the sight?

Am I right in thinking you have it almost touching the eyeball, like 1" away as close to the back of the gun as possible.

Move it forwards, try a full palm space away from the eye. Shoot with both eyes open.

While using it on my old rifle i used to have the stock set to the 3rd or 4th notch, with my cheek resting on the actual stock, a good 5 inch gap between the sight and my eye, i know it's a process of eliminating the variables, but lucky for me i got some rifle training in my cadet days, will probably have to try moving the sight further forward on the top rail to see if that helps though

32 minutes ago, Gimli said:

I'll move my head a slight amount and the dot moves around

sounds like bad parallax. you have to get your head position the same every time on a red dot with bad parallax

Only time I've ever had problems with low magnification optics is when I sight them incorrectly. A good sight is far more forgiving if you are prone to been inconsistent like I am!

If you can't get your eye dead on the centre of the glass it's always going to show some degree of been off.

It might be worth picking up a selection of raiser blocks or different length ring mounts and testing the sight at different heights.

After testing a few cheap ebay red dots I went and got a low end real steel Walther one. It wasn't bank breaking (£70ish), but it's a world apart from the non branded ones. Much brighter, and far less dot movement when your not on it right. And the dot is crisp, no light bleed or edge blur. It was well worth the investment.

16 minutes ago, Iceni said:

After testing a few cheap ebay red dots I went and got a low end real steel Walther one. It wasn't bank breaking (£70ish), but it's a world apart from the non branded ones. Much brighter, and far less dot movement when your not on it right. And the dot is crisp, no light bleed or edge blur. It was well worth the investment.

Currently have the WE 883 Phantom, it's a nice looking sight, but does have an issues with a slight ghost image which in turn blurs it a little, where can i look to get one similar to you?

24 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

sounds like bad parallax. you have to get your head position the same every time on a red dot with bad parallax

Yeah the parallax can be pretty bad, should have done some more extensive research before buying, sadly got blinded by really liking the EOTech holo sights too much

Not all cheap sights are bad - ive got a couple  sights off amazon for about £25  and the parallax is good on them (good enough for me on an airsoft gun anyway ) - way i check them is i clamp my gun down so it is sighted on a spot down my garden around 30mtr away- then move my head around a bit and hopefully if its a good sight then the dot will appear to stay on target.

9 hours ago, Gimli said:

where can i look to get one similar to you?

There's loads of sights selling walther optics. Mine is a PS22 model but you might not like the style as it's a 30mm tube optic with 1x magnification.

Here's a review someone did.

https://www.gunmart.net/scopes-and-optics/scopes/rifle-scopes/walther-ps-22-electronic-point-sight

And an Amazon link.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walther-PS22-Sight-Airsoft-Weaver/dp/B00485XVNG

The guy I go shooting with has the exact same sight as well, but with the addition of a 2x magnifier, Neither of us have any issues at all with the sight.

It's a good sight, but there are countless others out there that are just as good.

• Supporters

ahh yes, the cheap amazon sight.

it's amazing what they can make for £10 these days, m4's currently running a chinese sight and it's surprisingly decent (holds zero, although parallax free is a pipe dream)

it just takes a bit of discipline to keep the dot centred in the sight, remember hearing somewhere that for an m4 pattern rifle nose to charging handle is a good reference point for remembering head position although i seem to be able to manage it well enough without doing that.

airsoft guns aren't massively accurate anyway, i've only just started using a magnifier and it's more for target identification than actually making hits.

Sounds like a combination of bad parallax and mounting it too far back. I place mine over the delta ring.

Archived