New feature: A Hasty (re)Entry Into Classifieds

proffrink
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Root Admin

Hi all,

Me again (sooner than I'd thought). As usual the semi-important stuff is in bold.

Announcement

What with GunBoxes going under, I've pushed up the release date for a not even disclosed side project of mine to make the classifieds their own beast so that we might be left alone to compare the sizes of our BBs in peace.

Tonight we're unveiling the hastily finished and likely unpolished AFUK Classifieds: https://airsoft-forums.uk/classifieds/

Some comments

This is a test. If it's rubbish we'll bin it in a month

Again, this isn't something I even disclosed in my original announcement because I didn't think there would be such an opening to take on board some of those marooned by the misgivings of ShooterRecepticles. There will be a proper review of the new classifieds in a month and we'll make a decision on whether it should stay.

The old classifieds will stay about for a month but will likely be locked if we keep the new classifieds

This is a surprise (and not a kind one for many of you with listings already in the classifieds). As such, the old classifieds will stay about for a solid 30 days a minimum. Even if they do get closed they will remain searchable for years to come.

The new classifieds may have bugs; here's a topic to report them in

Again, this is a project I'd rather have been able to tweak for a couple of months before even taking it to all of you. There will be problems with it, so please update this thread with any that you find. We appreciate your help in hunting them down. Suggestions are also welcome.

Guests have the same access to the classifieds as everyone else (minus the PM system); be careful

Our strong classifieds have always been a way of pulling in new members who might end up contributing. The new classifieds will allow guests to see any contact details that you've provided (such as a mobile number, location or email). This is no different to the current classifieds forums, but you should be wary that this information may end up indexed by search engines.

What can it do though?

The new classifieds have many new features that the old classifieds doesn't have:

• Add your location to a listing and have it display a map
  • Add your mobile number, email or other contact details
  • 7 day 'renewal' of your topic (which you'll be prompted to do) without the need to make a 'bump' comment
  • Better search indexing and displaying of results (with thumbnails)
  • 'Or best offer' system
  • 'Under offer' system

Please discuss below

Thanks all.

• Head Moderator

The old Classifieds were the bane of my life.  So anything has to be better.  Adding a location will help save some questions, although now locked down I do not have to suffer the "where you located" posts, etc.

Will see how it works out.

• Supporters

Very nice! First impressions are good. I especially like the 'questions & answers' area and the option to view other listings by the same user. Location is a nice touch, too. It's the little things. 

What's the format like for multiple pictures? Can't tell on the example post as there's only one.

• Head Moderator

Will need to make sure that any auto repeat system does not just 'bump' a sales topic indefinitely.

7 day 'renewal' of your topic (which you'll be prompted to do) without the need to make a 'bump' comment

The current system does mean a seller has to make the effort to bump and shows the topic is active. There are new members who make some sales topics and then never come back to the forum or no activity by them for months. Which is why I close down all sales after 3 months of no activity by a seller.  Realistically a good seller will regularly bump their sales and let us know when something is sold.

I believe that it would be good to have an auto close feature so that if there has been no  activity from the seller for 60 days (2 months) their topic closes and is removed. 

5 minutes ago, proffrink said:

It's not automatic. One does have to click something to relist it. I believe there's a short grace period to relist it and then it's closed automatically.

I like that feature, stops people needing to ask "sfs" etc. Not that they can now, unless by PM.

• Root Admin

I've seen a fair few people posting in the old subforum, but also seen a couple post in the new classifieds and the old forums (which is understandable).

What I've done is had the new classifieds post a thread for you when you make an advertisement there. People with threads already in the classifieds won't be affected, but they're right now locked to posting so as to not end up with duplicates. I've also adjusted the notice on these forums so that people hopefully realise what's going on.

Archived