New low/midcaps

kasaran
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So i have a tm m14 on the way. And thinking of saving a few by buying cyma mags.  Having not run mid caps before is there anything you have to do to run them im first. Taiwan gun makes out like there is, in somewhat broken english.

http://www.taiwangun.com/en/aeg-low-cap/low-cap-for-m14-cyma?from=listing&campaign-id=14

I assumed that you would just run em straight out of the box.

There are a couple of designs for M14 mags.

G&G and Classic army have a cut-out at one end and won't take TM style mags.

Gas guns use a lipped variant and are model specific.

All of the other companies use the standard full top mag like the one you linked.

The ones you have picked should be fine.

Patrol base have high caps at a decent price as well.

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft/asg-400-round-m14-slv-aeg-hi-cap-magazine-black.htm#.WsSdPn_TVes

Mid caps need to be sprayed with silicone oil internally, then filled and emptied.

You fill them bit at a time, so 10bb's in, empty it, 20 bb's in empty it, 30 bb's in, empty it. More spray, 40 in, empty, 50 in, empty, oil, 60 in empty. You do this so the spring compresses correctly and you get an even oil coverage on the plastic walls where the plate on the top of the spring slides.

It helps if when you spray you use a small screwdriver to push the plate in a little So the oil goes past the plate.

The BB's you use need to be separated from your normal stock, and thrown away after or kept separate for if you do another mag. If you try to shoot them it'll put loads of oil onto the bucking. If you don't oil the mag it might stick when it feeds so it's worth doing. Once done you can pretty much ignore any special requirements until you encounter problems, then it's a strip clean and re-oil.

Always store mid caps empty as it stops the spring getting weaker in storage.

Looking at reddit etc. There seems to be a split in views on this. One side are oil amd work the ball in. The other is adamantly no oil at all.  Damned confusing. 

I may hedge bets. Go out this weekend with them not oiled and see/hope that they feed fine.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, kasaran said:

Looking at reddit etc. There seems to be a split in views on this. One side are oil amd work the ball in. The other is adamantly no oil at all.  Damned confusing. 

I may hedge bets. Go out this weekend with them not oiled and see/hope that they feed fine.

Bit of a confusing one for me too. Same goes for cleaning the inner barrel. I've heard conflicting things from Airsofters with years of experience and aren't sure what the correct way is now.

• Supporters

I always put a ‘wee’ squirt of silicone oil in a new mag when I first start to prep it for use .

i also follow the build up the numbers system , fill /empty,few mor BB’s ,fill/empty, etc but the one thing I also do is first few scurmish’s I go too if I’m running 120’s I’ll fully load but then take 20’ish out and if there 190‘s I’ll take 30’ish out just to ease the spring pressure .

Why would you put silicone oil inside something that holds bb’s? All you’re gonna do is ruin your hop. 

Just fill it 3/4 full, leave it loaded for a couple hours and then shoot them out. Then fill, shoot, fill shoot. After a couple of cycles you should be good. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Wo1f said:

Why would you put silicone oil inside something that holds bb’s? All you’re gonna do is ruin your hop. 

Just fill it 3/4 full, leave it loaded for a couple hours and then shoot them out. Then fill, shoot, fill shoot. After a couple of cycles you should be good. 

To get some lube inside the mag , stops the bbs binding in the feed tube Never had ANY detrimental effect on any gun that I’ve used after doing this and that’s all my guns from a cheap as chips JG right up to my TM recoils still got outstanding range . Obviously if you stick half a can down the mag it’s going to reck any hoping you would have , but it’s NOT that much just a small amount that’ll get spread through the whole mag as you fill and empty the magazine .

Don't like the load and leave technique my self , I prefer to gradually build the pressure on the spring , but everyone to there own thing . 

• Supporters

i didn't run any oil in my midcaps, until they started mis feeding, then i oiled them, and they work fine, until they start misfeeding again.

on that basis i'd say run oil, i've not noticed any problems with the hop, just like cleaning the barrel with oil it might affect the hop for a few shots but it doesn't take long to revert back to form.

So i will, for the good of all airsoft run the no lube mid cap experiment.  I will run without lubing them for as long as they last without missfeeding.  

The mid caps that will be used are: g&g 50 round umg mags, tm 60 round m14 mags, cyma 70 round m14 mags and cyma 120 round m14 mags.

• Supporters
26 minutes ago, kasaran said:

So i will, for the good of all airsoft run the no lube mid cap experiment.  I will run without lubing them for as long as they last without missfeeding.  

The mid caps that will be used are: g&g 50 round umg mags, tm 60 round m14 mags, cyma 70 round m14 mags and cyma 120 round m14 mags.

good good, let us know how you get on, if i recall correctly i got 4-5 games out of mine before they started misfeeding (ammo usage depending)

Maybe i should do the helmet tap US army ranger style. 

Used 3 of the m14 mags. 2 cyma 1 tm. Not oiled. They worked fine all day.

• 2 months later...

uses pheonix down on this thread... 

oiled none of my mid caps. used em god knows how many times. no miss feeds :D

• Supporters

I've never used and oil in any of my mags in the last 10+ years, can't see why you'd ever let any lubricant touch your rounds it's bound to get to the hop up or barrel.

I've always bought TM or PTS mags where available, maybe buying lower quality mags leads to issues?

• Supporters
58 minutes ago, M_P said:

I've never used and oil in any of my mags in the last 10+ years, can't see why you'd ever let any lubricant touch your rounds it's bound to get to the hop up or barrel.

I've always bought TM or PTS mags where available, maybe buying lower quality mags leads to issues?

Think this is one of those never settle on an amicable answer questions , you’ve not used oil with no problems , and then my self and several other players have oiled there mags with just as successful results for an equal period of time . Think it’s safe to say mate this is most definitely one of those occasions where we just say Say’laa’vie ! 😉

😂😂

• Supporters
8 hours ago, M_P said:

I should apologise to anyone who read this, on reading it back it comes across quite snooty- not the intention at all

• Supporters
2 hours ago, M_P said:

I should apologise to anyone who read this, on reading it back it comes across quite snooty- not the intention at all

No offense taken mate , us plebs know nothing nasty was ment by you elitist comment ! 😱

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

👍

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Huxley said:

I would imagine a dry lube like tuf glide would be fine?

Depends on what's in it. There's two issues with oiling the mags - one is that a wet lube will pick up dirt and the BBs will transfer that into the hop/barrel, the other is that most people are suggesting the use of silicone oil which can cause the hop rubber to become oily and potentially deform. 

Honestly, if your mags feed that badly that you need to think about lubing them then you need to buy better mags.

As for the Cyma M14 mids, I have a few and have never needed to lube them or the cheap as chips DBoys ones I also have.

Archived