Selling RIF's and the law.

Apoch
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, 

I have been out of the hobby for a while now so i am looking to sell all of my RIF's. Being a good citizen and not wanting to get in trouble i decide to read up on the law surrounding selling these (found here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/part/2)

Now i am no legal expert and reading that makes my head hurt but i have read it and I do not understand how it is legal for us to purchase or sell RIF's as playing airsoft does not appear to fall under any of the legal defences?

Please would someone with a bit more intelligence help me out on this?

Essentially, you have to satisfy yourself that the person you are selling to is over 18 and has a defence to buy a RIF. It’s your responsibility to do this, not the buyers.

UKARA, Site membership, proof of skirmishing, re- all accceptable defences, but nothing has ever been tested in a court of law.

Whatcha got lol?

Right and that is what i thought but the only defenses i can see the come close to airsoft are historical reenactment or theatrical performances. Does it fall under either?

I have attached a picture. I'll list them properly in the correct forums hopefully this evening.

Cheers for the advice.

20180403_202350.jpg

• Supporters

If you feel satisfied that the person you're selling to has a legitimate reason for owning them (ie, insured historical reenactment group or film production company) then by all means go ahead. That's a perfectly acceptable defense. Just make sure you're not selling to some 12 year old chav who's going to go wave it about in town and you'll be fine. ;)

I'm also looking forward to the details on those guns by the way.

• Supporters
43 minutes ago, Apoch said:

Amended by https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/2606/regulation/3/made

It's not explicit, but The Man has indicated by a wink and a nod that "permitted activities" include airsoft.

Practically speaking, the chances of you being charged, prosecuted and convicted of an offence under VCRA 2006 for selling a toy gun are so small that if the risk bothers you, what on earth were you thinking having hard plastic pellets shot at your face?

1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

Amended by https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/2606/regulation/3/made

It's not explicit, but The Man has indicated by a wink and a nod that "permitted activities" include airsoft.

Practically speaking, the chances of you being charged, prosecuted and convicted of an offence under VCRA 2006 for selling a toy gun are so small that if the risk bothers you, what on earth were you thinking having hard plastic pellets shot at your face?

That is exactly what I am looking for cheers mate.

Archived