Initial Changes to the Forums and Moderation Team

proffrink
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

2 hours ago, Gepard said:

But then where would the pixelated, compressed .jpgs taken on a phone (in portrait mode) in the dark with a light behind the item go?

Silicon hell 

• Moderators

excellent, well done Prof for taking the wheel and implementing many things we had discussed! :lol:

been through many forum changes as a mod and i know it can be a challenge at the start, some wont like it and some will love it....you cant please all....the main thing is now Trig can express his true feelings with out getting 'bleeped'!

to ease some pressure on mods, why not implement, 'Forum helpers' to kinda monitor sections in the first instance, leaving the others task to the mod team, although as you mentioned, we do kinda self moderate :)

at work so not read all the long posts in depth but the edit post option now shows its been edited when before you had the option to display this?......not that im trying to hide anything :rolleyes:

• Root Admin

'Forum Helpers' isn't an idea I'd particularly like to implement. Any sort of hierarchy should be kept to a minimum and titles do typically change posting habits for a lot of people (some for the better, some for the worse and for some not much at all - it can be hard to tell before that title/powers are granted). I would like (just my opinion on this one as @Jedi_Master is in charge of this number) to keep moderation down and keep the staff team as lean as possible. Ideally never more than about 3-4 people at a time (though again that final number is up to Jedi on the moderation side, so this could be anything).

The new classifieds should remove a lot of pressure that was on the moderation 'team' (AKA Jedi, his iPad. the moderation tools and some severe risk of repetitive strain disorder). Loosening up the rules on language will further decrease the need for mods. I still strongly believe that this forum has a good core membership that sorts things out for itself by and large. There's the odd tit-for-tat but those who stick around are mature and typically move on after a bit or make it entertaining.

The editing option is something that might stay changed. Simply a functionality thing for people because I've seen a few times when a quoted post doesn't match up with an edited one - this will remove some of that confusion I hope. If possible I might see about allowing it to stay on editing the opening post/first post or set a time limit for allowing one to make a quick edit before it gets noted (say ~5 minutes).

• Head Moderator
3 minutes ago, Samurai said:

Yeah, please allow a few minutes maybe an hour of editing. I use that a lot.

Yes, I am the same. Brain works faster than I can type and so often make a spelling or grammatical error that needs correcting.

• Supporters

The editing feature is something I use a lot. Whether it be adding or removing relevant information, correcting spelling or just formatting it's not something I'd like to see changed. 

Even if a post is edited I think a quote should remain at the point which the user replied. To avoid confusion.

• Root Admin

That's fair. I shouldn't have changed it without first fielding it to change, so we'll switch it back to the old way.

12 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

Yes, I am the same. Brain works faster than I can type and so often make a spelling or grammatical error that needs correcting.

What're you complaining about? You're able to do it anyway.

Edit

Looks like we'll have the ability to restrict edit time sooner than I thought, so might be a poll on that soon.

• Moderators

It’s his RSI getting in the way!!

yeah agree with other post P, just an idea that I had seen and been involved with on other forums, I had it easy then !! :lol::lol:

• Moderators

P have you changed the option as on my phone I can now select show post edit or not....

• Root Admin

Yep. See the post before yours.

It was actually only active for supporters (members could still conceal edits), so likely was actually just a misclick along the way rather than any conscious choice. Anyhoo, back to the way it was before. In the future I'll table the idea of not being able to edit after X minutes or something but we'll see.

• Moderators

Had a choice of likes there but sadly only allows one!!

13 hours ago, djben9 said:

Had a choice of likes there but sadly only allows one!!

If you mean where you can do the heart/smiley face etc - you can still do that

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, steakandpotato said:

If you mean where you can do the heart/smiley face etc - you can still do that

i wanted to put 2!....only allows one

• Root Admin
11 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Out of interest - could an Appraisals section be added? Might be an easier way to get appraisals or a rough idea on a price of something than posting as a status.

In the forums or as a part of the classifieds? I think this is something we've been meaning to do for a while, but @Jedi_Master is working on a restructured forum list (not major changes - mostly wording changes outside of the classifieds) so this will likely make it in. Could be a couple of weeks away though as he's very busy right now.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, proffrink said:

Here's the link: https://discord.gg/BUtNHQE

But I'm not done. Mostly there though, just gotta add the pinned messages for rules. Jedi and I have been using it sparingly for a while, but never got about to finishing it so thanks for the kick.

Cool stuff. If you need any help give us a shout. 

Archived