Went with my buddy clay shooting...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

...and I really enjoyed it. Wasn’t too bad, hit just under 50%, so happy with that.

Now, do I sell my Krytac Vector to buy a real steel shotty, hmmmmm decisions decisions :blink:

30 minutes ago, Prisce said:

Never! 

Hmm, won’t sell the KWA, but I actually fancy a real steel under/over, and the easiest way to pay for it is to sell an airsoft gun lol

• Supporters

I really enjoyed it the first time I went. It's a lot of fun shooting at a moving target as opposed to a static target at the range. 

55 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Hmm, won’t sell the KWA, but I actually fancy a real steel under/over, and the easiest way to pay for it is to sell an airsoft gun lol

Don't forget your gun cabinet in case you haven't already got one. Has to be placed correctly in the property, and fixed in to the wall (which means you generally have to own the house rather than rent it). If you can get an FAC though as well as a shotgun certificate, you can pick up a .22 calibre AR-15 which are bags of fun!

One step at a time going into the real steal, start with a shotgun, get to know the community and they will put you right if you fancy getting a rifle.

• Supporters
22 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

If you can get an FAC though as well as a shotgun certificate, you can pick up a .22 calibre AR-15 which are bags of fun!

Is that the M&P 15-22 you're referring to? I've wanted one for a while now. Just can't be bothered with all the fuss that goes along with owning one. 

I'd like a handgun, but apparently they've been banned in the UK since 1997(?) which is a shame. 

8 hours ago, Gepard said:

Is that the M&P 15-22 you're referring to? I've wanted one for a while now. Just can't be bothered with all the fuss that goes along with owning one. 

I'd like a handgun, but apparently they've been banned in the UK since 1997(?) which is a shame. 

Handguns are a big no no, you need to get an appointment with Amber Rudd if you want a certificate for one of those. The only way you could feasibly own a handgun otherwise is if you got something like a First World War era 1911 as part of a historic guns collection.

There used to be a Walther-made HK416 available, but that seems to have been discontinued. The M&P 15-22 I recently read has a load of safety issues and compatibility problems by utilising a lot of proprietary components. There are other options out there though. The issue with a custom built one is that the upper receiver, lower receiver and bolt assembly all appear to require their own separate FAC provisions, even if being bought for the same final gun. It’s a bit of a grey area when you start breaking them down into components, to the point that things like charging handles and stuff fall outside of an FAC, but in some cases even stocks fall into them. It’s weird legislation that needs updating.

12 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

Handguns are a big no no, you need to get an appointment with Amber Rudd if you want a certificate for one of those. The only way you could feasibly own a handgun otherwise is if you got something like a First World War era 1911 as part of a historic guns collection.

There used to be a Walther-made HK416 available, but that seems to have been discontinued. The M&P 15-22 I recently read has a load of safety issues and compatibility problems by utilising a lot of proprietary components. There are other options out there though. The issue with a custom built one is that the upper receiver, lower receiver and bolt assembly all appear to require their own separate FAC provisions, even if being bought for the same final gun. It’s a bit of a grey area when you start breaking them down into components, to the point that things like charging handles and stuff fall outside of an FAC, but in some cases even stocks fall into them. It’s weird legislation that needs updating.

I thought you could get a pistol if you had been part of a pistol club for X amount of years although that could be hearsay. 

I also enjoy clays, but like Ash says, getting a gun cabinet installing it and keeping everything locked away in different places plus the police visiting isnt high on my list of need to's.

You could start with a single barrel which costs significantly less. Or take a look on https://www.gunstar.co.uk 2nd hand guns. Can get some real bargains on there as well. Where abouts are you based as my step father does a lot of clays + rifles on weekends.. Rifles are at real targets though (Muntjac, etc) for the farmer

6 hours ago, Robert James said:

I thought you could get a pistol if you had been part of a pistol club for X amount of years although that could be hearsay. 

I also enjoy clays, but like Ash says, getting a gun cabinet installing it and keeping everything locked away in different places plus the police visiting isnt high on my list of need to's.

You could start with a single barrel which costs significantly less. Or take a look on https://www.gunstar.co.uk 2nd hand guns. Can get some real bargains on there as well. Where abouts are you based as my step father does a lot of clays + rifles on weekends.. Rifles are at real targets though (Muntjac, etc) for the farmer

There are pistol clubs, but as far as I’m aware, these are all historic guns held under a section 7 certificate. Anything post-1919 requires home office approval.

Archived