begginer looking for buying advice

Rec0
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hello, I am about to start airsoft and had a few questions

1) what shops are good to buy from

2) what sort of gear will I need and how much would it typically cost

3) was looking at a few guns to start with cyma m4 or Jing Jong G36 or maybe a AK

4) any other advice will be greatly appreciated

Thank you for reading

Hey fella,

There are whole pages of shop reviews. Rule of thumb avoid places with bb in the name. 

You need footwear with ankle support, eye protection (do not take chances on this) and lower face protection. Everything else is a nice to have.

Jing Gong (JG) will do you fine as a budget gun. CYMA AKs are highly rated. For an M4 G&G combat machine is tried and trusted.

This is all readily available on here using the search function :)

• Supporters

1) Stay away from anywhere with "BB" in the name. I often buy from PatrolBase and gunfire however there's plenty of other good websites. eBay and the classified section is also worth looking at if you don't mind buying second hand.

2) I advise renting first to see if you enjoy it. Airsoft can be fairly cheap however it can get very expensive. You can expect to spend about £30 a day when renting. Look into buying gear once you've played a few tines. Top 3 items would be face protection, gun and boots. Kneepads are pretty nice to have too.  

3) If you like M4s I highly recommend the G&G CM16 series if you're on a budget, or anything by Tokyo Marui if not. JG make a good G36 and CYMA make decent AKs.

4) Have a read of all the pinned posts and use the search tool. There's years of advise and discussion here to be found if you need a quick answer. You just need to use the tools to find it. ;)

1) There are plenty of good retailers, it largely depends on which platform and manufacturer you're looking at purchasing. There's a section of this forum dedicated to discussing airsoft (and associated) retailers.

2) As the other posters have suggested, I'd reinforce the point of renting for awhile before starting to make purchases (this allows you to get a feel for it and talk to people within your local community). Also if you're 18 or over then I'd suggest waiting for you to obtain your UKARA. Make sure to read up on the associated VCRA legislation and UKARA. Starting out though the main things you'll want are a decent pair of boots which offer ankle support (military surplus is a good place to look) and don't skimp on the eye/face protection. You only get one pair of eyes and if you don't wear decent/high quality eye protection there can be significant consequences.

3) Rent for awhile first. Work out a budget but remember to factor in the extras you'll need (magazines, battery(ies), charger etc). Once you've established a budget you can go from there. The G&G CM16 series is tough to beat for beginner/budget M4's (as Gepard said). Cyma produce some quality AK's but I can't remember which ones really shine off the top of my head. 

4) Make sure you do your leg work. There are plenty of places to find information but if you get stuck or have questions which you can't find the answer to (please make sure to look first) then ask away, the airsoft community tends to be very welcoming and helpful but make sure to do your reading first. Look up which sites are local to you and look at getting in a couple of rental sessions to see if you enjoy it, I can't recommend this highly enough.

Besides all that, welcome.

45 minutes ago, Rec0 said:

hello, I am about to start airsoft and had a few questions

1) what shops are good to buy from

PatrolBase seems to generally be considered the go-to. Everyone I know uses it almost exclusively (unless it can't be helped)

2) what sort of gear will I need and how much would it typically cost

Depends on the route. Excluding a gun (too many variables effecting price) you could easily get yourself all camo'd up and protected for around £40-£50

3) was looking at a few guns to start with cyma m4 or Jing Jong G36 or maybe a AK

CYMA confuses me as a brand - They seem pretty cheap, but I can't see anything specifically bad about them (nobody seems to complain - whether that's because they are cheap and people understand that, or they actually produce good guns, I'm unsure). My general advice here is to rent. You'll discover what guns you're a fan of and what guns you don't really like, you'll learn more about the sport and whether you actually like it, and you'll struggle to actually buy a gun without a UKARA number.

4) any other advice will be greatly appreciated

SERIUZ TIPZ: Pick a playstyle and stick with it - if you want to be aggressive - a'la infantry - you have to always be as far forward as you can (without getting stuck behind their lines of course), if you would rather play a more supportive/defensive line, only push with the last few team mates and don't get too far ahead of yourself.

NRMAL TIPZ: Enjoy yourself, airsoft is incredibly fun once you learn to let go of fears of being hit by a BB or the fact you're playing army (leave that to the milsimmers) - Take everything as it comes and do what makes you happy. Move from cover to cover, and remember - you probably have a f*ck tonne of ammo, so don't be afraid to put suppressing fire down (even if it's just for noise effect - trust me, it works) when you or your team mates are moving.

Thank you for reading

Surplus stores are great for equipment, but stay clear of brands like Kombat, Viper etc., and buy surplus, which will be cheap and should last a good while. 

Look at the info' about retailers on this forum. 

Read reviews about whichever products or guns interest you. 

Get yourself decent PPE like eyewear, boots and gloves. 

Pay cheap, pay twice. Don't scrimp on the important stuff. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Rec0 said:

cyma m4

I've been pleasantly surprised by mine.  It's fine for CQB, and just about competitive in woodland, if not laser-beam accurate.  If you were to throw in a Lipo, Maple Leap bucking and tight bore barrel you'd come in at about the same price as G&G, although you'd be running a plastic body - fine with me, I've never got to the end of the day and thought "Gosh, I wish my gun was heavier."

It's not magical, and you'll want to upgrade it sooner or later, but it's usable out of the box.

Read the stickies on here... LOTS of great info..

Get decent eye pro (dont ask what is the best combo, unfortunately you need to work out what works best for YOU)

Get the best gun you can afford and like the look of. 

Grab some decent footwear!

You can write a 3 page list of things you need and spend over 5 grand but still only end up running around in jeans and a hoody with a box full of expensive buts you dont wear/use 

The rest is fluff, if your on a budget only buy things which solve a problem or will make your game easier. After your first game this will make sense, you will go I wish I had that, so buy one! after the next the same thing will happen. Eventually you will put together the gear which works for YOU!

But read around on here first! nearly 90% of what you want to know has been asked.

42 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I've been pleasantly surprised by mine.  It's fine for CQB, and just about competitive in woodland, if not laser-beam accurate.  If you were to throw in a Lipo, Maple Leap bucking and tight bore barrel you'd come in at about the same price as G&G, although you'd be running a plastic body - fine with me, I've never got to the end of the day and thought "Gosh, I wish my gun was heavier."

It's not magical, and you'll want to upgrade it sooner or later, but it's usable out of the box.

Plastic or polymer? 

Well yeah but you say 'plastic' I think of that cheap sh*t that usually accompanies springers. You say 'polymer' I think of my firehawk which is pretty solid and durable feeling

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Aengus said:

All plastics are polymers.

Your question is literally apple or malus pumilia.

JambWow at JBBG has perfected the art of turning cheap & crappy plastic/polymer guns

into quality full metal - you can feel the quality in this etc.....

OP - this is a pi$$ take, DO NOT BUY FROM THIS LYING CLOWN

Seriously, some places with BB in their names will try to sell you over priced kiddy plinkers

that will not work properly or perform at any real skirmish site - don't get mugged like some others

(yup that includes moi & some others on here, learn from OUR MISTAKES - not yours)

DO NOT BE FOOLED - read the guides and don't get taken in by Bull$hitters at BB websites

ask loads of questions by all means but read some of the guides - please please pretty please

Don't give those clowns any more money, don't get taken in by them & their pro review crap

• Supporters
9 hours ago, steakandpotato said:

Plastic or polymer? 

Yes. :P

It's fine, you wouldn't want to jump on it, but it doesn't feel fragile or brittle.  The downside is those BLEEPING lugs on the back of the receiver that make getting the gearbox out and in a real struggle.

File them off and get on with your life.  Other than that, there's no unpleasant surprises that I've found.

I agree with avoiding BB sites, if only so that Sweaty Dom hasn't fingered your barrel before you get it.

5 hours ago, Ex-Rnuw said:

Uhh no. Bad advice is bad. By all means save a few quid for sh*t quality eye pro that will fog in moments and possibly cost you your eyesight.

One Tigris lower mesh is under £20, if saving £10 on a 20 tag then airsoft is not the hobby for you cos it is expensive as f*ck for a reason. I'd recommend spending a bit more cos you only get one set of eyes and even though teeth can be replaced it's bloody expensive.

51 minutes ago, Duff said:

Uhh no. Bad advice is bad. By all means save a few quid for sh*t quality eye pro that will fog in moments and possibly cost you your eyesight.

One Tigris lower mesh is under £20, if saving £10 on a 20 tag then airsoft is not the hobby for you cos it is expensive as f*ck for a reason. I'd recommend spending a bit more cos you only get one set of eyes and even though teeth can be replaced it's bloody expensive.

The face mask is identical to the one in the shops. I even took it in to compare the two.

8 minutes ago, Ex-Rnuw said:

The face mask is identical to the one in the shops. I even took it in to compare the two.

It's a crappy mesh mask. They're uncomfortable and only have one strap which makes them insecure. Better off withthe part mesh/material ones. They're comfier and don't slip due to the extra straps.

3 minutes ago, Duff said:

It's a crappy mesh mask. They're uncomfortable and only have one strap which makes them insecure. Better off withthe part mesh/material ones. They're comfier and don't slip due to the extra straps.

The one I got has 2 straps, and is identical to this one http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/half-face-airsoft-masks-and-protection/nuprol-shades-lower-face-mesh-mask-bundle-green.htm#.WsEcKS7wa70

• Supporters

What are you on about?  It's not "eye pro", it's a lower face mask.  It has two straps, it'll be fine.

That said, I would go for a One-Tigris clone, having just bought one.  This, if you're doing a TaiwanGun order, or the eBay equivalent.

12 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

What are you on about?  It's not "eye pro", it's a lower face mask.  It has two straps, it'll be fine.

That said, I would go for a One-Tigris clone, having just bought one.  This, if you're doing a TaiwanGun order, or the eBay equivalent.

Yes mate looked at that. I'll probably get one of those too, sometime in the future. As for our younger friend (@Duff) banging on about eye wear I would go nothing less than wearing my ESS goggles.

• Supporters

If he's a younger player he'll need full face protection anyway. Why not buy a paintball mask? Dye i4s work great. Ticks all the boxes. 

I'm not really a fan of those two piece masks myself. I don't find the setup very comfortable. Could be just the product I have of course. 

By all means save money on your eye and face pro, you can put those funds towards rehabilitating your life when you lose an eye.

Best case scenario it goes towards a new set of front teeth. :rolleyes:

• Supporters

Having broken a tooth in half playing Airsoft( for a change, it wasn’t shot out) I can honestly say it’s not worth skimping on the protection. I have caught a few BBs in my lips(when sniping I never used to use lower face pro) so please do yourselves a favour and get some proper protection. 

I dont mind buying things cheaper off of eBay, but your more likely to get proper rated products from a retailer than billybobtheebayman. 

Archived