Airsoft and airgun obsession(or other hobby)

ibo7
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As much as I love airsoft, although only actually skirmishes the once, I also love airguns and just joined a local airgun club that also has national shooting competitions. I love both but 1 can be expensive enough, let alone both! Also making time for both is tricky.

Anyone else find themselves torn between 2 hobbies?

• Supporters

All the time. My friends think I’m nuts that I try to get in all the stuff I do. I think that while I have my health, and some money; I’m going to do everything I possibly can before it’s too late. 

Yea this means I’m constantly busy and tired.  But I’d be surprised if people have done and seen half of what I have!(not always a good thing mind you)

When it's a lovely sunny day then yes, I get very torn between running around a field with my friends shooting folk. Or going out on my motorbike. With the Cairngorms and so many other good biking roads on my doorstep, it's a difficult choice some mornings! :D

• Supporters

There does seem to be a fair amount of overlap between airsoft and biking.  I suspect that's due to a shared demographic who, as Prisce notes, want to live a life rather than just mark time.  We're not on a rehearsal, and there's no reset switch.

• 4 weeks later...

So many hobbies ! but the ones I take seriously besides airsoft are , Guitars , though playing in a band usually takes place at night so not to bad for finding time. Radio control modelling, tanks, trucks, buggies and helicopters, this can get a bit pricey at times although I havn't built anything for a while mostly because storage gets to be an issue ! on the plus side I can use the same Lipo's for this and airsoft. This one is mainly a summer hobby TBH but many a sunny evening or a sunday get spent on it. Then there is the cars, been a petrol head from the moment I saw the Lotus Esprit in The spy who loved me and the current fleet runs to 3 , so, much time is spent cleaning tinkering and driving. I don't do as much of my own maintenance as I used to , partly because of time and partly because lying on my back with an engine an inch above my nose and oil dripping in my eye isn't as much fun as it was when I was 20 !

Life is to short not to have as much fun as you can, I don't drink or smoke and don't have kids, but do have an understanding wife !

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Then there is the cars, been a petrol head from the moment I saw the Lotus Esprit in The spy who loved me and the current fleet runs to 3 , so, much time is spent cleaning tinkering and driving. I don't do as much of my own maintenance as I used to , partly because of time and partly because lying on my back with an engine an inch above my nose and oil dripping in my eye isn't as much fun as it was when I was 20 !

A men to that!

Being born to a petrol head has sorta instilled the same passion into me. My ole man had 76 cars in 1 year.  He built Kit cars for a living for a couple of years, raced competitively and lived like everyone did in the 70s!

Needless to say I have been in and out of all sorts of cars since I could drive, but have been racing since 13, unfortunately I am not afraid of speed, which as you imagine causes some issues!

Never been caught though.

3 minutes ago, Prisce said:

A men to that!

Being born to a petrol head has sorta instilled the same passion into me. My ole man had 76 cars in 1 year.  He built Kit cars for a living for a couple of years, raced competitively and lived like everyone did in the 70s!

Needless to say I have been in and out of all sorts of cars since I could drive, but have been racing since 13, unfortunately I am not afraid of speed, which as you imagine causes some issues!

Never been caught though.

It was a bit like that for me. My grandfather was a serious petrol head he would often go out in one car and come home in another lol. I particularly remember his V8 Rover P6 and Dolamite Sprint which both went like stink . then there was mum who drove to Spain in her MG Midget in her early 20's to go and work as a tour guide so I never had a chance really . I've been lucky enough to have some track tuition but not done any serious racing, got to love some speed ! I do get to do a bit of flying too that's a real buzz

Was a really enjoyable read, cheers for that! As someone interested in gear this will come in healthy and I’ll make sure to look out for some bits at the war and peace show!

There's just not enough time for all the hobbies I want to do especially as I work rotating shift and have a family to pay for!

I wanna make more time for airsoft, airgun shooting, boxing, snooker, gym, learn bushcraft.... prioritising one means dropping another most of the time

I will need to take pics and then work out how to upload them so give me a couple of days !

One of the reasons I chose airsoft, was to get outdoors more.

My other hobbies are rather sedate, Sci-Fi, reading, DIY, computing, gym, walking, genealogy, making stuff (anything that involves screws/nails or soldering). 

But after a long day at work, typically just end up sufing the internet.

Cheers

G

A motorcycle thread sounds good too! Had no idea that the two hobbies overlapped so much. 

Airguns and airsoft yes but bikers and airsoft, I'm hooked even more! 

What about music? Metal, rock, trance? 

8 minutes ago, welchyd1 said:

A motorcycle thread sounds good too! Had no idea that the two hobbies overlapped so much. 

Airguns and airsoft yes but bikers and airsoft, I'm hooked even more! 

What about music? Metal, rock, trance? 

Gets better. I go to around fifty gigs a year, so that might be fun

Awesome, I'm a biker and a lover of good music but a failed musician. I own a few guitars as they fascinate me but I'm still yet to master how to play them. I know the basics but that's about it. I need lessons as I'm no good learning from books. 

I have too many hobbies, to the point where i seriously need to consider quitting some to make room

It was before I became a Dad, but the man cave spare room is now my 3 years olds bedroom

My other hobbies are Tamiya RC cars (mainly the classic 80's and early 90's one), retro gaming, Golf and tabltop gaming if get chance.

I need a bigger house, thats what it is.

Hmm, definite a few common ones on here...

In order of time involved:

1) Computer game (ARMA3) Most evenings

2) Riding bike (RC8) Most Sundays

3) Airsofting  (Only been a few times but hopefully will increase)

4) Dabbling on keyboard (Don't know how to play properly but know the basics of chords etc)

5) Did fencing (Epee) for a year but stopped due to time/money.

6) Computer graphics (3dsMax). Don't do nearly as much as I used to... See (1)

Archived