UKARA Valid period

Tracer
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just a quick one.

I received my UKARA number today (bye bye bank balance :D) however I noticed on the email that it stated it is only valid for one year.

After this year do you need to reapply or is it a case that if you dont use it i.e purchase any RIFs that you will be removed from the database?

• Mostly Retired Moderators

You have to renew it after 12 months.

If you're a regular at the site (or a new site) it's just a case of asking one of the dudes to renew you.

It's only if you stop playing now you've got it. Then after a year you'll have to do the minimum amount of games again.

Long story short: keep playing and you're fine.

Thank you.

I have no plans to stop play, if anything I need to play more.

Once every couple of months is just not good enough :D

• Supporters

Need to be aware as well that some retailers (sounds like ‘liar in port’ ) won’t sell to you even if your UKARA is up to date but the site that you registered through is either no longer open OR there third party insurance has lapsed ! :angry:

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Druid799 said:

Need to be aware as well that some retailers (sounds like ‘liar in port’ ) won’t sell to you even if your UKARA is up to date but the site that you registered through is either no longer open OR there third party insurance has lapsed ! :angry:

Seems fair, since the requirement to be on the database is to be a member of a site with valid insurance!

• Supporters

Not really surely all you need do is prove your defense to buy which I did when I registered , it’s immaterial if the site is still open or not , at the time of registration it was and that date is recorded on the database . So if I’m still inside the one year window I’m still an active scurmisher (I do play at multiple sites around the country) . But If I don’t re-join an insured site at the end of the 12mth period THEN I would quite rightly loose my defense . 

Under the VCRA there is no requirement to be a member of an insured site.  

The appropriate defence is that you are buying for the purposes of airsoft skirmishing at a valid site with public liability insurance 

The UKARA is one method of establishing that by recording the games played in their defined timeframe on a participating / insured site etc - which then allows you into the UKARA register for a year

You are not required to be a ‘member’ of the site, and any particular site can have their own membership schemes 

It’s not necessary to stay at the same site or for it to remain in business 

However as an offence under the VCRA lies with the seller then the retailer is at liberty to decide on what they recognise as your status as a skirmisher and if they no longer want to accept defences gained under a closed down site 

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Not really surely all you need do is prove your defense to buy

The retailer needs a defence to sell.

6 hours ago, Druid799 said:

it’s immaterial if the site is still open or not

The defence is that the RIF is being sold for the purposes of skirmishing at an insured site, in the future.

If the site that you played at in the past isn't open, or isn't insured, it's entirely reasonable for a retailer to not take the risk of selling to you.

• Supporters

BUT I informed them I could provide proof I was still playing at sites that were insured thus meeting the LEGAL requirements of the VCR bill , which would have allowed the retailer to remain compliant , but was informed if not on the register as a member of an insured site they would still not sell to me as they only recognized ukara as a defense ! 

So you could say THEY were the ones braking the rules not me ?

I had a valid defense to buy a RIF but they were refusing to accept it as They claimed technically I wasn’t part of a scheme they’d helped set up , sorry but that’s just wrong , to me that’s trying to monopolize the market place . 

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

BUT I informed them I could provide proof I was still playing at sites that were insured thus meeting the LEGAL requirements of the VCR bill

That does sound unnecessarily paranoid of them.  Have you checked with http://ukara.org.uk/ to see what comes up against your UKARA number?

Still, it's entirely up to the seller how much risk they're prepared to accept and at the end of the day, it's their loss of a sale.

• Supporters

No I didn’t , had had a right tit full of there attitude and spent a substantial amount of beer tokens else were ! Funilly enuff i rang the shop I did buy from in the end first off just to check there stance on my status and the owner agreed I was covered and he did say he couldn’t understand what the problem was ? After this conversation I then told him what I wanted and think I put a smile on his face with the amount I was spending ! ;)

Archived