Sunday skirmishes directory?

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

At the moment, it's a proper pain in the bum trying to find out what's on where and  when. 

Having to look on all the different sites webpages / Facebook pages etc...

If I want to do a running race, or a triathlon, there are online directories I can go to that will tell me what I need to know to help me plan my racing. You just enter a date range, then a region or location and voila, there's a list of relevant events.

Is there something like this for airsoft?

If so, where?

Go to Google maps and type "airsoft sites" then visit their website and see what their booking calender looks like.

• Supporters

The sites are not interested in creating a common place to put their events. Many sites don't even bother to put them on their own webpages. Others invested in their own system and use that. There isn't even a proper place to list active sites. There were people trying like airsoftnation and weaponcrates, etc but nothing survived. It would be easy to create a website for it, it is quite impossible to get the data.

• Head Moderator

A database of all airsoft sites, dates, timings, and prices would be very useful. However, I do not see it happening.

As mentioned, the issue is the data. Some sites have great websites with good info, others use bookface, others are a waste of time and you get no bloody info at all!! Site change all the time too, closing down or opening up for a limited time etc.

Airsoft map was useful but too many places closed down and were not removed or just not on there at all. I think if sites could see the benefit or receive some benefit from a webpage/app then its worth a look at!

1 minute ago, Albiscuit said:

As mentioned, the issue is the data. Some sites have great websites with good info, others use bookface, others are a waste of time and you get no bloody info at all!! Site change all the time too, closing down or opening up for a limited time etc.

Airsoft map was useful but too many places closed down and were not removed or just not on there at all. I think if sites could see the benefit or receive some benefit from a webpage/app then its worth a look at!

Well the benefit would be free advertising lol

2 minutes ago, steakandpotato said:

I think it would need to be more. Its more about the customer service side of it. some sites seem to be short sighted. An app like this would be a huge help to the customers, only having a small impact on the sites or retailers.

7 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

I think it would need to be more. Its more about the customer service side of it. some sites seem to be short sighted. An app like this would be a huge help to the customers, only having a small impact on the sites or retailers.

There's more than enough reasons for the sites to go for it 

It merely needs to be an information directory with a search function that links to business websites. Easy to build but as others have said, getting the info from the sites will be hit and miss.

3 minutes ago, Samurai said:

But free advertising for the competition too. Surely they can't have that! :/

Uh... It's still free advertising for them

• Supporters
5 hours ago, steakandpotato said:

As someone that ran a sideline in custom painting for a while, that is the one phrase almost certain to bring on apoplexy.

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

As someone that ran a sideline in custom painting for a while, that is the one phrase almost certain to bring on apoplexy.

So the fact that someone is willing to publish your site dates and times is so utterly unacceptable for the high price of £0.00 that you're likely to fall into a stroke?

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, steakandpotato said:

So the fact that someone is willing to publish your site dates and times is so utterly unacceptable for the high price of £0.00 that you're likely to fall into a stroke?

No, it's related to the "how much?!?!?! That's way too expensive, I'll give you free advertising" part. It's a trigger phrase is all.

• Supporters

Also - apoplexy also means extreme anger...

1 minute ago, Lozart said:

No, it's related to the "how much?!?!?! That's way too expensive, I'll give you free advertising" part. It's a trigger phrase is all.

I must've missed something as I have no idea what you're talking about. I thought we were discussing someone setting up a directory that shows site game dates+times. They wouldn't have another angle, they'd just want you to tell them when you're playing a game.

apoplexy
ˈapəplɛksi/
noun

1. 1.
    unconsciousness or incapacity resulting from a cerebral haemorrhage or stroke.
    "Browne died of apoplexy"

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Lozart said:

24 minutes ago, steakandpotato said:

I must've missed something as I have no idea what you're talking about. I thought we were discussing someone setting up a directory that shows site game dates+times. They wouldn't have another angle, they'd just want you to tell them when you're playing a game.

apoplexy
ˈapəplɛksi/
noun

1. 1.

The bold bit. That's the part you missed.

Also - second (informal) definition of apoplexy.

apoplexy
ˈapəplɛksi/
noun

1. 1.
    dated
  2. 2.
    informal
    extreme anger.
    "the decision has aroused apoplexy among environmentalists"

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, steakandpotato said:

But also - we're discussing a directory, not your business.

Yeah...but derailing stuff makes me happy.

One thing that I'd like to see is DMR fps limits listed.

I've seen lots of posts where people use sites at 450fps and even 500fps, but finding one near me is a pain.

• Head Moderator

And toilet facilities.  I always rate a site on how good / clean the toilets are, and if soap provided.  Sometimes it is better to be like a bear and use the woods rather than the site portaloo.

14 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

And toilet facilities.  I always rate a site on how good / clean the toilets are, and if soap provided.  Sometimes it is better to be like a bear and use the woods rather than the site portaloo.

At the Mall I just piss in the ball pit like when I was 6.

Archived