14 yr old advice on gear and guns

hutchoz
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey,

I've recently gone airsofting and I am looking into buying my own gear but I don't what to get. As I'm only 14, I understand I can't legally buy a gun right now as I've once, could someone please explain how I'd be able to own a gun. I have been looking into two guns which is the Jing Gong G36C (like the look of this) and a M4. The site I've played at, under 18s have to wear lower face and eye pro, as I have a budget so I'm sure of where to look for these.

Jing Gong G36C: http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-g36-variants/jing-gong-g608-g36c-railed-handle-w-folding-stock-black.htm#.WrfOWojwbZZ

M4: https://modernairsoft.com/collections/airsoft-electric-rifles-smgs/products/lancer-tactical-m4-cqbr-airsoft-aeg-rifle-dark-earth

• Supporters

18+ to buy a two tone

18+ with a defense to buy a RIF

Somebody could purchase either providing that criteria is met and then gift it to you. You cannot exchange any cash with this person. 

JG make a good G36C however if you're after an M4 I would highly recommend the CM16 series by G&G.

Under 18s are required to wear full face protection such as a paintball mask. The Dye i4 is a great mask and what I used whilst I was U18.

• Head Moderator

Correct because you are under 18 it is illegal for you to purchase an imitation firearm (IF) two-tone gun or a realistic imitation firearm (RIF), and illegal for anyone to sell you either one.  You can be gifted an IF or RIF but no money can be given in exchange for it, i.e. a birthday present from a parent.

• Supporters

it's not a legal requirement for under 18s to wear full face, only an insurance requirement. 

same difference though, you'll have to wear it. 

the lancer tactical M4 you linked is only available in the US, spend a couple more quid and get a G&G combat machine. 

• Supporters

JG G36c is a fantastic cheap starter gun

It is a common rental gun like a G&G M4 or Cyma AK

But think a good reason why many places use or have used them as rental guns

is because it is also ambidextrous too (so is a mp5 range)

The G36c is compact with stock folded, but decent length all rounder

tough plastic but an easy to pick up & shoot gun for lefties and righties to flick semi/full auto etc....

As a general rule, though not set in stone....

JG make great G36's

Cyma AK's without doubt

G&G M4's

Cyma's dabble in a few guns, making also M4's & a G36c

(but listed what these makes excel in)

There are many others out there, some better/worse than others

but generally listed best or highly rated guns/makes in that starter gun field

DON'T BUY CRAP FROM JustBBGuns, or BBGuns4Less or probably OnlyBBguns

have a read up on stuff see links in my sig, get your parents to perhaps purchase a two tone

but avoid rushing into things and buying the wrong crappy stuff like most newcomers do

see here....

https://swasairsoft.co.uk/airsoft-guns/?category=Airsoft+Rifles

Long/Short Raider is £120 (cheapest I know)

(wish they made a Medium Raider but hey ho)

Raider 2.0 is a good price too

G36c - same price

There are the Cyma M4's cheapo which are about the ONLY decent sub £100 guns in UK

The CM517 is a cheapo clone of the G&G Raider, but as the G&G Raider is £120

I'd be advising the G&G at £120 if you can stretch to it - receivers are much better

Plus less brittle plastic than Cyma M4, and imho a safer wiser investment all round

Stock tube, mag catch, magazine, sights are metal on G&G - it is just that bit better

Cyma cheapo plastic M4 flashhiders are just pushed onto a ccw thread, fall off with a whack

(you get the idea, you can fit other stuff on there but you are sinking money into a cheapo Cyma)

G&G M4's are what we recommend mostly in M4 dept

It will likely last longer, take more abuse, hold its value etc... it is just a better gun

(avoid ETU fancy mosfet G&G's. The plain ol' basic G&G M4's set the bar - end of story)

Some guns have battery/charger - real crap ones but kind of gets you started

So you have factor in this also, if buying a decent G&G or others

you will need a battery/charger, again best go LiPo 7.4v setup if you can

(avoid paying through the nose for batteries/charger etc....)

All this crap you learn the hard way usually so have a read up, get some info together

Then pop back and run it past us for our frank/honest sarcastic advice of " that is crap m8 "

:D

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, hutchoz said:

What should I be expecting to be paying for a good G36C?

About £110 + a bit for 2-tone & delivery

Don't buy any crap like Bulldog or Black Viper G36 of D68 FFS !!!!

D68 won't take regular G36 mags & the above above are pi$$ poor guns

All plastic gearbox/gears, weak motor, poor performance for playing at sites

You will regret buying a pile of crap like those (I speak from experience)

JG G36c is the one, Cyma make one, so do others like Ares, or Umarex with trades

forget all others - go for JG G36c

I don't own a Cyma G36 so can't comment but JG are best/safest bet to recommend

Other makes, you can have issues with parts, 99% sure Umarex or one of them

has a different selector plate, no JG is the one, bits nbobs in spares are JG G36 compatible

Or easier to source/work on

JG is da one

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, hutchoz said:

Next time I go which will be in a couple weeks, I'll ask the guys at the site.

What site - where abouts are ya ???

but yeah ask around, though some sites with shops or even shops can be a bit biased

Luckily on here we can offer our opinion (might vary from other members)

Recommend other retailers or slate honest reviews on some sites/shops etc....

(couldn't do that or be that open on Zero In forums as it was run by Zero One Airsoft)

Always pay to seek to advice, ask around, and weigh up all this info (wish I did)

If you can see if you can hold a few guns, see if you can get to grips with what like/hate

Often people like a particular gun the most

But end of the day they all just fancy toy guns going peew peew

Just get something half decent than 50% or more complete $hit like I did at first

• Supporters

Ahhh North Wales, can't help ya I'm afraid

not my neck of the woods, but seems a nice load of players/site

ask 20-30-40 questions to help you decide

One final warning

Beware the one called JambWow, he is a liar and a con-artist

Do not give this thing your money - you have been warned !!!!

avoid at all costs.....

Image result for JBBG jambwow

• Supporters
54 minutes ago, Sitting Duck said:

Beware the one called JambWow, he is a liar and a con-artist

Do not give this thing your money - you have been warned !!!!

Do tell. I've never heard of this guy before. 

1 hour ago, hutchoz said:

Alpha 55 (onsite shop), but there's a shop near me called Tonys Camo & Airgun Centre

And hey fellow Alpha 55 player! Nice to finally have somebody else on this forum that plays there. 

15 minutes ago, Gepard said:

hey fellow A55 player!

Hey, I've seen a few players from A55. Just wondering, if I bought camo, eye & face pro from someone, and they also gifted me a gun at the same time, would that be allowed?

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Do tell. I've never heard of this guy before. 

That is sarcasm right ????

Or you was very lucky....

loads of posts slating this guy

he is an expert at filling mags with bulldog/bull$hit bb's

a 5k bag fills one high cap - 4.7k go on the floor

classic quotes like:

This is a quality ($HIT) gun

Full metal (brittle as f*ck plastic)

We sell a lot of these (we mug loads of new young noob players, and the odd older player)

There are parodies or pi$$ takes on youtube about this tw@t bigging it up about cheapo crap

stuff that scrapes to plink with but sells it on as professional top quality skirmish-able guns etc....

Blimey where have you been last 4 years ???

Think he has wound it down a bit, or kids had started to use google-fu more to catch him out

he was coining it in, think really young players still use JBBG & BBguns4Less

(alright geez, Dominic from Essex here, got a wicked new pro-line gun 'ere, awesome gun crap)

OnlyBBguns was about the only minor decent one of the three

really iwholesale guns flogging 2-toners from Reading way

if you knew what you was buying at a push OnlyBBGuns was OK-ish at a push

BUT only (like the name), only if you really knew what you was buying

Mainly coz few used them, free del on £30 and code " RC10 " used to get 10% off

Still most of these shops with BB in their names are usually avoided - well those 3 should be

4 minutes ago, hutchoz said:

Hey, I've seen a few players from A55. Just wondering, if I bought camo, eye & face pro from someone, and they also gifted me a gun at the same time, would that be allowed?

That could be a bit suspicious, expensive accessories with a ‘free gun’

Gifting is considered fine because the offence is the sale of an IF/RIF to a junior

The crime would be committed by the seller, so it’s ‘OK’ for them to do so if they are ‘OK’ with it 

But they take the risk of you being irresponsible, coming to the attention of the authorities (or your parents) and questions being asked about how you obtained it

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, hutchoz said:

Oooooh grey area that........

Actually it isn't a grey area it against the law or VCRA/UKARA regulations/guidelines/law

You can't really buy a pair of used MTP trousers for £150

A GIFT is a GIFT no money changing hands - a pressie like chrimbo

I buy a gun and give it to Duck jnr = a GIFT

If I sell his m8 a mask & bb's etc.. for £175 - THAT IS NOT A GIFT !!!!

I am flouting the law, well breaking the law to be exact, nobody else is in $hit

It is me that could face the consiquences

The seller is committing an offense, they should refuse to entertain any crap like this

You just highlighted one of the reasons why there is VCRA/UKARA

You are young/naive and I guess allowed to ask the odd daft question now & then

However try not to make a habit of it especially around the legal side of it

Airsofters though just big kids with toy guns

Well we are a funny lot and get a bit protective over stuff like trying to find loopholes

This legal stuff was brought in 2007 & such to prevent a total ban on airsoft in UK

Yup some people sought to ban it outright and even now still gets brought up

So retailers got together to basically assure authorities that Realistic or Black toy guns

Or Realistic Imitation Firearms will not end up being sold to non-airsoft adults

IF's or orange guns will only be sold to adults - eg: your parent/older brother

What they do after that is down to them but can only GIFT stuff,

but the seller is the one who faces the consrquences

Finding loopholes is frowned upon as it threatens out toy gun hobby

So best try to stay within the UK law

If you think that is bad Australia banned airsoft for years

only recently has some legislation come about to allow some toy gun play soldiers

Or Germany make you use 250fps auto airsoft guns than 350fps

UK law is something we all have to abide by (or at least be aware of)

Stop looking or at very least stop asking about loopholes please

no offense meant or taken, you are only 14 I know

(but ease up on asking stuff like that)

1 minute ago, Tommikka said:

That could be a bit suspicious, expensive accessories with a ‘free gun’

Gifting is considered fine because the offence is the sale of an IF/RIF to a junior

The crime would be committed by the seller, so it’s ‘OK’ for them to do so if they are ‘OK’ with it 

But they take the risk of you being irresponsible, coming to the attention of the authorities (or your parents) and questions being asked about how you obtained it

They are one of my parents friends so they'd have to be okay with it, as they'd have to come with me to get cause I'm not gonna walk through town with a gun case.

I got my tri-shot springer from justbbgunz, admittedly their service was sh*t as was their customer aftercare but as for the RIF itself, it's never missed a beat. I've had it apart a few times (mainly to strip and repaint it) but $70 I do not regret.

Maybe I just got lucky?

• Supporters
22 minutes ago, Sitting Duck said:

That is sarcasm right ????

Or you was very lucky....

No sarcasm. I've genuinely never heard of the guy before now. I know to stay clear from the website but I never knew who owned it. Did a bit of digging and wow - what a scumbag. 

27 minutes ago, hutchoz said:

Genuinely don't know. Bit of a grey area for me. I get what you're asking but I'm not sure that anybody would even "gift" it to you in the first place under those circumstances. Nobody at A55 would that's for sure. I certainly wouldn't as it would be my neck on the line if you got into mischief with it. 

What you could do is ask your parents to buy you a IF and then wrap some gun tape around it when you go and play. Personally I hate two tones but if you're desperate for your own gun that would be the best way about getting one. 

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, hutchoz said:

One of my friends has (could be dad's) a single tone gun, I'll ask him about it, he's also 14 for the record.

Duck Jnr has nice guns gifted by his stupid dad

his dad - moi was entered on ukara to purchase them

years ago people had RIF's without a defense (entry on database or site vouching that 18+ player)

They can keep their stuff, technically by law they can still GIFT it

BUT selling a RIF or even a IF to u18 is a NO NO NO NO NO

The 18 year old can buy a IF but to buy a RIF (black/tan gun) that buyer needs defense

(a proper legit reason for owning a black peew peew when a 2-tone will do etc....)

The SELLER is BREAKING THE LAW, so no what way you dress it up if it isn't GIFTED

Then the SELLER is committing an OFFENSE - end of

The seller can commit the offense - up to them but from a legal side of things

selling a RIF to a person with no defense is not wise & it is illegal too

selling a RIF or even an orange IF to u18 is also committing an offense

So if you ask me about getting around the law.....

All joking aside - stop asking the answer is still nope

if he gives it as a GIFT that is OK but NO FUNDS CAN CHANGE HANDS

(it isn't a gift then is it, you don't pay Auntie Joe for the Xmas pressie she got you - NOPE)

25 minutes ago, hutchoz said:

They are one of my parents friends so they'd have to be okay with it, as they'd have to come with me to get cause I'm not gonna walk through town with a gun case.

They would have to be ok with a £5000 fine and a criminal record 

Far simpler to sell to your parents and have your parents give you a birthday present

F0446B96-49D4-4CF8-8CA7-EC90CF82E93F.jpeg

Yeah £5,00 is a maximum at a level 5 and no power of arrest its a summary only offence. I wonder how often this legislation is used in airsoft.

More chance of getting shot by a unicorn in a skirmish.

Archived