OT rant about UPS

Rogerborg
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

So I should have had a delivery from Taiwangun today, and boy were my panties moist.  Through customs no problem, but I couldn't be sure that Mrs Borg would be in all day so I signed up to UPS' unnecessarily convoluted My Choice service, and diverted it to the nearest Access Point.

Who today refused to accept it because they didn't feel like it.  Yes, actually that:

Exception Reason: The receiver does not want the product and refused the delivery.

WTAF?  It gets better.  Their web UI won't let me redirect it to my house.  It only lets me attempt other access points.  So I've sent it to the next nearest one, but it won't be there until Monday, so there goes my new toys for the weekend.

And what if they can't be bothered with it either?

Complaint complained, but it's just the usual "Very sorry, tough luck" platitudes.

Why do business with third parties who can waste UPS' time and mine by just shrugging and saying "Nah, don't want."? :angry:

"UPS My Choice is the biggest pile of dogsh1t" ever.... Words from my very own UPS delivery man haha

Quicker to get in your car and drive to Poland..

They recently sent me my ID number and password, did it work!  Of course not, gave up in the end...

Yup, completely useless UPS My choice is! I'm lucky that my local UPS depot is on my commuting route. So once I get the email that my parcel is in the UPS system, I pop in and say to them I will pick it up there (not technically allowed, but they have never refused). They update the system (which does it immediately rather than the 6hr or so delay that is normal) and instead of putting it on the van for delivery, just sit it aside for collection. 

So, if the depot is close to you, phone or pop in and get them to reschedule delivery. Their online system doesn't work.

• Supporters

Huh, it's in... Motherwell.  Maybe.  I'm not even sure there's car/pedestrian access to that site.  Might be worth a try tomorrow though (Saturday deliveries, not on their watch) as a Hail Mary before Sunday's game.  Thanks for the idea, I'll see how that pans out.

8 hours ago, Arwen said:

Yup, completely useless UPS My choice is! I'm lucky that my local UPS depot is on my commuting route. So once I get the email that my parcel is in the UPS system, I pop in and say to them I will pick it up there (not technically allowed, but they have never refused). They update the system (which does it immediately rather than the 6hr or so delay that is normal) and instead of putting it on the van for delivery, just sit it aside for collection. 

So, if the depot is close to you, phone or pop in and get them to reschedule delivery. Their online system doesn't work.

Damn I tried to do this on end because the depot is local and was made clear that I wasn’t allowed anywhere near the depot.

UPS is the biggest crock of shite ever.

Hate to say it but the best couriers remain Parcelforce.

FedEx aren't too bad but they're expensive.

UPS suck donkey schlongs and their drivers drive like dicks!

• Supporters
On 23/03/2018 at 3:32 PM, Rogerborg said:

WTAF?  It gets better.  Their web UI won't let me redirect it to my house.  It only lets me attempt other access points.  So I've sent it to the next nearest one, but it won't be there until Monday, so there goes my new toys for the weekend.

Well, credit to the local hub (Lynx Express in Motherwell) who called me this morning to say that it's unlikely any access point will accept it because of the size, and arranged to deliver it to my home address on Thursday when I'll be working from home.  No, I can't collect from their hub, but it's nice to see them working around the awful UPS system.

2 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Well, credit to the local hub (Lynx Express in Motherwell) who called me this morning to say that it's unlikely any access point will accept it because of the size, and arranged to deliver it to my home address on Thursday when I'll be working from home.  No, I can't collect from their hub, but it's nice to see them working around the awful UPS system.

Well at least that goes to explain why the collection point wouldn't take it. Often those shops take on the work for the money and don't have a designated place to store too many parcels or any larger ones.

Hmm I wonder if it is the bigger depots that are less likely to let you collect it from them directly then. The Dundee one is a rather small depot. 

FedEx are just as bad in my experience. With the added annoyance of not having a local depot to me. A few years ago I was given the excuse of "Your post code is too rural to qualify for our guaranteed 48hr delivery." I live in Dundee. It may not be giant but it is the 4th largest city in Scotland... how can it be rural?!?!  After 3 days of the tracking being updated at 3:30pm with "Unable to deliver"  I drove to Edinburgh and picked it up myself... 

I guess if you are closer to Glasgow/Edinburgh they are probably pretty good though. 

• Supporters

Well at least that goes to explain why the collection point wouldn't take it. Often those shops take on the work for the money and don't have a designated place to store too many parcels or any larger ones.

I suspected as much, and it's fair enough - it's a sniper rifle, MP5K and a bunch of other stuff so might be quite bulky.

My baww is that the UPS system wouldn't tell me why, even when I got a response from a support monkey, and didn't give me any choice except to try another access point (which would also likely have rejected it).  It also doesn't even say which depot the package is in, or give contact details for them.  If they'd set out to create a system to prevent resolution of problems, they couldn't have done a much better job.

Just now, Arwen said:

Hmm I wonder if it is the bigger depots that are less likely to let you collect it from them directly then. The Dundee one is a rather small depot. 

FedEx are just as bad in my experience. With the added annoyance of not having a local depot to me. A few years ago I was given the excuse of "Your post code is too rural to qualify for our guaranteed 48hr delivery." I live in Dundee. It may not be giant but it is the 4th largest city in Scotland... how can it be rural?!?!  After 3 days of the tracking being updated at 3:30pm with "Unable to deliver"  I drove to Edinburgh and picked it up myself... 

I guess if you are closer to Glasgow/Edinburgh they are probably pretty good though. 

It's about having the space for someone to collect. You need a store and recall system in place, storage for said items, your part of the building that the public enter to collect has to meet certain H&S and fire regulations for insurance purposes. So basically it's easier and cheaper to say "You can't come here" than to put all of that in one place at just a singular depot. Most nationwide companies have a system in place for when they take over a property to operate from and would evaluate basied on the area and parcel traffic whether or not it is cost effective to have a public place for customers to collect from.

• Supporters

My Thursday delivery was delivered today, Tuesday.  When I'm at work.  Fortunately Mrs Borg was in to accept it.  Doubly so as the "Proof of delivery" shown online was no such thing.  At best, it was a claim of delivery.

All that said, I now have a new stack of toys to play with, so, win, I guess. ;)

Archived