How to check upgrades

AshOnSnow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

52 minutes ago, Prisce said:

You may have to ring up that shop you hate almost as much as me and ask if they have any in stock...

I hate how they put prices on their website, then you go in and mysteriously all the price tags are more expensive. I think I’d probably rather just give the game a miss than go there, I wouldn’t enjoy it anyway knowing I’d been fleeced for a piece of rubber that they buggered in the first place.

Used to go to action hobbies in MK but apparently they moved. Then there’s FireSupport up towards Peterborough, but they don’t seem to stock maple hops which I’ve heard are the ones to go to.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, proffrink said:

Might be someone on the forums with a spare Mapleleaf bucking. Usually quite a few knocking about so...

I put a wanted post out :) No responses yet though.

So I took the cylinder out and it was a blue Airsoft pro cylinder too. As for inside hop, the hop rubber had a ribbed exterior and inside was a W shaped bucking. Not sure if that’s stock or not.

As far as I can tell, inside I’ve found upgrades which are:

AirsoftPro Trigger V3

M150 Spring

AirsoftPro Zero Angle Piston

AirsoftPro Stainless Rounded Cylinder Head

AirsoftPro CNC Hop Arm

430mm PDI Inner Barrel with spacer

Does that sound about right? Anything else missing that you’d expect to be there?

Since I’m getting a new maple leaf bucking, do you think it’s worth getting an aftermarket hop chamber too?

• Supporters

Sounds good to me.

I would honestly not replace the hop chamber yet. Try the Maple Leaf rubber first with that hop unit, if it’s less than desired, then consider replacing it.

13 minutes ago, Prisce said:

Sounds good to me.

I would honestly not replace the hop chamber yet. Try the Maple Leaf rubber first with that hop unit, if it’s less than desired, then consider replacing it.

Still can’t figure out what exactly is causing the feed issues though.

• Supporters

Rule out the hop rubber first, maybe a bit of that grease was sticking in the bucking. Once you have rules one out, move on to the next. It can be many reasons, possibly the nozzle, location of hop unit, hot unit itself etc.

36 minutes ago, Prisce said:

Rule out the hop rubber first, maybe a bit of that grease was sticking in the bucking. Once you have rules one out, move on to the next. It can be many reasons, possibly the nozzle, location of hop unit, hot unit itself etc.

Can’t find any decepticon buckings in stock. Any other recommendations?

1 hour ago, Prisce said:

Try EBay.

Good call. Decepticon supposedly more accurate. Autobot supposedly more range... whaaaa?

• Supporters

It’s about the shape of the mound inside the bucking. 

Decepticon are “arrow” shape^ like so, autobot are diamond shape <> like so, autobot have a larger surface area so give the BB more backspin = more range. The decepticon puts the backspin in a certain spot on the BB and therefore not the whole BB has this “interaction” and therefore less forces to move it from its intended target.

There is a video and a better description on the sniper forums about this.

This description is very vague so take it with a pinch of salt. If I was you, I’d look at the Autobot 60 or 70, 70 will last longer, but 60 is possibly better performance.

• Root Admin

Marketing rubbish. The two go hand in hand. You get range and accuracy from consistency.

The only limiting factor might be the amount of hop a single bucking can apply given its mound shape, but I can't think of any VSR bucking that doesn't have enough material or suitable softness to lift even the heaviest BB. Remember range only comes from the backspin, and being able to get a consistent backspin means that one can more easily dial in a hop out to longer ranges. A 'better' bucking holds this consistency even with a heavier weight BB, and heavier BBs will always go further.

Basically, check the sniper forums. I believe the consensus is that the autobot is bettererer. 60 or 70 degree will work for most people. Performance will last until the bucking wears out - if the gun fails to hold hop then either the bucking is fecked or (more likely if it's just slowly getting worse) your hop arm is moving when it shouldn't be. At that point you'll want to look at a hop unit.

I'm reasonably convinced that the airsofting industry has just about peaked when it comes to VSR buckings. There're only so many ways that one can put backspin on a BB.

7 minutes ago, Prisce said:

It’s about the shape of the mound inside the bucking. 

Decepticon are “arrow” shape^ like so, autobot are diamond shape <> like so, autobot have a larger surface area so give the BB more backspin = more range. The decepticon puts the backspin in a certain spot on the BB and therefore not the whole BB has this “interaction” and therefore less forces to move it from its intended target.

There is a video and a better description on the sniper forums about this.

This description is very vague so take it with a pinch of salt. If I was you, I’d look at the Autobot 60 or 70, 70 will last longer, but 60 is possibly better performance.

6 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Marketing rubbish. The two go hand in hand.

You get range and accuracy from consistency. The only limiting factor might be the amount of hop a single bucking can apply given its mound shape, but I can't think of any VSR bucking that doesn't have enough material or suitable softness to lift even the heaviest BB. Remember range only comes from the backspin, and being able to get a consistent backspin means that one can more easily dial in a hop out to longer ranges. A 'better' bucking holds this consistency even with a heavier weight BB, and heavier BBs will always go further.

Basically, check the sniper forums. I believe the consensus is that the autobot is bettererer. 60 or 70 degree will work for most people.

Performance will last until the bucking wears out - if the gun fails to hold hop then either the bucking is fecked or (more likely if it's just slowly getting worse) your hop arm is moving when it shouldn't be. At that point you'll want to look at a hop unit.

I'm reasonably convinced that the airsofting industry has just about peaked when it comes to VSR buckings.

4 minutes ago, Prisce said:

That’s two of us who think the same, can’t go far wrong with that Ash;)

Was looking at the 75, so probably too hard. Will give the Autobot 70 a shot.

The issue I have with the feeding at the moment is that with the hop disengaged, 2 BBs feed and one rolls out the end of the barrel if it's pointing at all downwards. Then as soon as the hop reached about 40% engagement, only 1 BB loads but wont fire and jams in the barrel.

9 minutes ago, Samurai said:

Go one level softer than the recommended for the fps.

75 suggested by the manufacturer, so have ordered Autobot 70 :) should arrive Thursday 

• Supporters

So I have been talking to a mate about your double feeding issue, and he believes the issue is your hop arm. Apparently the JG hop unit isn’t identical to the TM, and the hop arm is slightly too long for the hop unit. 

It is well documented apparently.

He suggests fitting the new bucking first(see if that was the problem) if not, it’s more than likely that hop arm.

Let us know how it goes, get back to us if you need anything else.

• Supporters

@AshOnSnow Just had a thought, we reckon that Barrel is a PDI don’t we? Take the bucking off the end of the barrel. I believe it’s bridged.

If this is the case, the Maple leaf won’t fit it.

Can you do us a favour and take photos of the hop unit, hop rubber(down barrel) end of the barrel, cylinder head and hop arm? 

1 hour ago, Prisce said:

@AshOnSnow Just had a thought, we reckon that Barrel is a PDI don’t we? Take the bucking off the end of the barrel. I believe it’s bridged.

If this is the case, the Maple leaf won’t fit it.

Can you do us a favour and take photos of the hop unit, hop rubber(down barrel) end of the barrel, cylinder head and hop arm? 

8A38D01F-F5BF-4C42-BA9C-D2B045DEE3AE.jpeg

25D985BD-1B5C-46D9-8A88-ACF90D610E3E.jpeg

2B4A3240-352F-4DA4-B9C8-90AC3A1E309A.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

3 minutes ago, PT247 said:

I don't think that is a PDI barrel, I may be mistaken, but they don't do a 6.02mm barrel

No I had to move the spacer to reveal the 6.02 marking. Honestly never seen a 6.02 before. Looks like it has been filed away..

• Root Admin

Does it say PDI 6.02? I suggested PDI as they're one of the only companies to etch their barrels, but it should say PDI as well.

Edit

Actually that doesn't look PDI. They don't put the length on the barrels (only the bore). Disappointment :(

18 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Does it say PDI 6.02? I suggested PDI as they're one of the only companies to etch their barrels, but it should say PDI as well.

Edit

Actually that doesn't look PDI. They don't put the length on the barrels (only the bore). Disappointment :(

No it doesn’t say PDI on it

On 23/03/2018 at 5:57 PM, Prisce said:

What have they put on that?!

To be honest, that’s probably your issue, my brother sent his DMR into same shop as you Ash, and it came out with a split bucking covered in silicone oil....

Edit: You say it’s fully upgraded, have they Rhopped it? I’m not sure on what make and brand that hop rubber is, but I wouldn’t say it’s “upgraded” looks stock to me.

I don’t know, they wouldn’t tell me what they did to it.

Archived