What does airsoft cost?

Tommikka
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Airsoft must be worth millions worldwide to the global economy. 

However according to our other halves its probably only worth about £80 😛  

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh totally, everything in life is relative. 

when I first started a combat raider at £120 was expensive for me, some people spend that on a pair of trousers to run around the woods in!! I have pretty much spent that much on Pistol mags and a holster for my MK23.... Not to mention all my other stuff I have bought. 

Im still a cheapskate, but now appreciated the costs of guns, pouches and other stuff although im still unconvinced entry level stuff wont do for the most part (for my needs), but as I said its all relative to the individual!

• 3 weeks later...

My site is pretty good.

£20 walk on.

£10 to rent a combat machine M4

And they threw in 5000 blitz bb's, I'm guessing that is a one off for newbies.

So probably a tenner for each bag.

£10 for fuel, food meh don't see it as a cost.

• Supporters
38 minutes ago, Huxley said:

Yeah tell me about it that's a first.

That mg42 of yours must be a thirsty bugger.

Anyway shouldn't you be on ocuk 😛

it is thirsty, but great for psychological warfare :P

and who says i'm not on ocuk right now :ph34r:

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Monkman said:

It's a damn sight cheaper than Paintball... :)

Yeah but you make up the cost with the variety of guns you buy :lol:

6 hours ago, Monkman said:

It's a damn sight cheaper than Paintball... :)

4 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

It could be a damn sight cheaper than paintball.

It won't be though. ;)

That’s a curious thing I’ve discovered on here - reputedly people have left Paintball and moved to airsoft because it’s cheaper

Some are direct transfers from Paintball rental to airsoft - which should be cheaper, but a couple of rental prices I have seen on here are very high (this was due to a rental package deal brought in by a third party company)

Paintball prices as a walkon or event player are vastly cheaper than a rental (but you can be a walkon rental and pay about £5-£10 extra) , but the underlying cost of a gelatine paintball compared to a plastic B.B. make airsoft ‘cheaper’.

But it still looks like playing to your pocket, Ive got to get round to compiling it all properly & finishing off, then I will get it up on here

Airsoft and scenario Paintball are looking very similar

• Supporters

It's the fact the ammo you literally launch away from yourself and can never re-use is expensive, that's the off-putting thing.  Look at the way BFGs have taken over from disposable pyro since they came on to the scene, same kind of mentality.

A paintballer can spend X and have some gear but a large portion of X will be blasted away in single use ammunition.  An airsofter also spends X and the percentage that's 'gone' in ammo is minuscule, the rest went in to more guns/better gear that they now get to keep and will probably last a long time.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, CKinnerley said:

It's the fact the ammo you literally launch away from yourself and can never re-use is expensive, that's the off-putting thing.  Look at the way BFGs have taken over from disposable pyro since they came on to the scene, same kind of mentality.

A paintballer can spend X and have some gear but a large portion of X will be blasted away in single use ammunition.  An airsofter also spends X and the percentage that's 'gone' in ammo is minuscule, the rest went in to more guns/better gear that they now get to keep and will probably last a long time.

plus paintball hurts more and the guns don't look anywhere near as cool

5 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Plus Airsoft tends to be more military orientated, so for me more realistic and enjoyable.

Paintball usually involves kids running around screaming, or guys out on a stag do.

Plus our gear looks so much better.

9 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

No way dude, this has to be a @Gepard statement as paintball is nothing compared to airsoft. 

P=F/A

Both fire around the same fps limits but one is soft and full of liquid and the other is 4x as small and solid plastic.

Therefore P=F/A bb's hurt way more than paintballs.

• Head Moderator
28 minutes ago, Duff said:

No way dude, this has to be a @Gepard statement as paintball is nothing compared to airsoft.

Everyone feels pain differently, it is unique. From my limited experience with paintball, it does hurt much more than airsoft. Now that could be due to using chilled paintballs, makes them harder and the area of impact left large bruises I have never had from a little BB.

Pressure = Force divided by Area does not seem the correct equation to use.  There is probably the mass of ball involved using other Newtonian physics (F = ma) but I will let the forum scientists explain its relevance.

However, BBs tend to get spammed more because they are so cheap meaning more follow up shots in rapid succession to inflict pain. 

TL;DR - No right or wrong answer everyone different appreciations of pain.

6 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

Everyone feels pain differently, it is unique. From my limited experience with paintball, it does hurt much more than airsoft. Now that could be due to using chilled paintballs, makes them harder and the area of impact left large bruises I have never had from a little BB.

Pressure = Force divided by Area does not seem the correct equation to use.  There is probably the mass of ball involved using other Newtonian physics (F = ma) but I will let the forum scientists explain its relevance.

However, BBs tend to get spammed more because they are so cheap meaning more follow up shots in rapid succession to inflict pain. 

TL;DR - No right or wrong answer everyone different appreciations of pain.

Of course it's the correct equation, I mean you can add velocity to it but it basically boils down to the area of impact spread across the projectiles mass. Sure pain threshold is personal but physics isn't.

I have a pretty good pain threshold, having paid people to poke inked needles into my skin for many years, I have some art in some painful places; I can honestly say bb's hurt so much more compared to paintballs. Paintballs leave bigger bruises of course as they are bigger projectiles. The size of the bruise does not correlate to the force of which it hits but the force spread out over the surface area, again P=F/A

So a bb and a paintball, fired at the same speed would perform completely differently, both in flight, trajectory and impact distribution. All of this is determined mostly by the size of the projectile, the rest is by the force exerted. If the projectile force for both is 500fps, the smaller projectile will make a harder impact due to having more force exerted over its physical mass, therefore distributing it over a smaller area of impact.

But yes the unknown factor is the target and their pain threshold. Someone who isn't well hydrated or doesn't eat healthy will feel pain on a larger scale than someone who's healthy and hydrated. I pull this comparsion again, from my experience gatting tattooed and my personal pain tolerance. If I have eaten and have good levels of sugar in my body as well as being rested then I can sit for twice as long but put me in a chair on an empty belly with little sleep and I tap like any other guy.

• Supporters

it's not really that simple of an equation, but for a start if you're talking about energy then your average paintball gun firing at about 260fps on a 3 gramme projectile so that's around 9j of energy

couple that with a projectile that doesn't slow down as much and shorter engagement distances you're going to be recieving most of that.

in comparison even a hot airsoft sniper pushing .48's at 600fps is going to be around 8j of energy, plus that bb will travel much further and lose a lot more energy before striking the target.

the other point of reference is you regularly see paintballers wearing full face masks and body armour, whereas a lot of airsofters go for open face and only wear body armour for aesthetics 

edit: it's a moot point anyway because airsoft guns are cooler than paintball guns, and that's what's really important :P

I know it isn't I was just simplifying it for those who might not be predisposed to physics and such bullshittery. 

Pressure changes over area of effect and that my friend is a fact.

But as the projectiles are different sizes and consistencies you can't really draw a factual comparison. As Jedi says it's down to the individuals pain threshold mostly.

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, Duff said:

I know it isn't I was just simplifying it for those who might not be predisposed to physics and such bullshittery. 

Pressure changes over area of effect and that my friend is a fact.

But as the projectiles are different sizes and consistencies you can't really draw a factual comparison. As Jedi says it's down to the individuals pain threshold mostly.

true, the impact force transmission of both isn't going to be easy to measure as you have to account for a paintball bursting.

however in my experience 90% of the time i get hit i barely feel it, whereas in paintball it's very much noticable.

there are a lot of other factors at play though, for example my play style tends to keep me at range from the enemy so bb's will generally have less energy by the time they hit me.

It's about momentum/kinetic energy, a paintball it about 10 times the mass of a .25 BB.  So it has a lot more energy to lose into you when it hits you.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived