What does airsoft cost?

Tommikka
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

indeed, it's a hobby, something to spend money on and enjoy, if this was an rc forum we'd be talking about how much fuel we use, on a pc forum it'd be how much electricity our rigs drained, etc etc.

at the end of the day it gets you out of the house, meeting new people, and doing something that you wouldn't normally do otherwise.

i find it a great stress reliever, your worries of the world very quickly fade away when "**** i'm being shot at better hide" comes into play :P

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will work it out on a yearly cost, compare hiring to buying:

I airsoft once or twice a month. Probably safe to say 18 times a year. If I were to just hire kit each time, I'd pay £900 a year.

Instead, I have an M4, mags, batteries and accessories which cost me probably £350 and will last me easily through next year. So my primary gun is £175 a year.

A P226, holster and mags which cost me £250. Lasting 2 years before internal swap is £125/yr for the first 2 years, then £25 for each subsequent year.

My clothes are simple, with probably about £120 of camo, boots and stuff to choose from. Lasted 2 years still good as new, probably last another 2 after this at least, so I put that at £30 a year.

Eye pro cost me £100, will last just under 3 years, so £35 a year.

I'll get through 3000rds of ammo over 2 game days, and a few bottles of gas each year, so that's about £140 a year

I've spent more money on it with other pistols and primaries but I mostly do second hand swaps now for fresh gear, so the cost is small.

All in all, it costs me about £650/yr factoring in fuel driving to different sites and extra little purchases.

Full hire kit each time would cost about £1050 I reckon.

Best purchase? £110 Sig 226 that's still going after being sat on, fallen on, dropped, someone even grabbed it and threw it at a tree in a tantrum too, it didn't seem to mind much.
Worst purchase? £450 JG BAR-10 that I had ordered in and custom upgraded from a supposedly reputable retailer and tech, that's never been clear quite what they put into it, has never fed right, and never been able to use in a game.

Guest pierce09

I'll be at Urban Assault on April 14th knowing I'll pay walk on fee of £25. Consumables I'll sort beforehand.

However, I can see why this hobby isn't as easily entered into for youths as it is in the US. Not only are the actual RIFs vastly more expensive but so is the game day.

Walk-ons in the US (and I skirmished in 11 different states) was about $15-25 (£11-17) with usually a discount for military of at least $5. 

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, pierce09 said:

Walk-ons in the US (and I skirmished in 11 different states) was about $15-25 (£11-17) with usually a discount for military of at least $5.

I'd got that impression.  Any idea why?  Cheaper land?  Bigger games (so less cost per player)?

Guest pierce09
Just now, Rogerborg said:

I'd got that impression.  Any idea why?  Cheaper land?  Bigger games (so less cost per player)?

I'm guessing overheads are far cheaper (land, running costs, etc) and rentals aren't needed as much which keeps costs down (guns in general are far cheaper. check Evike.com to cry). Fields also fight with 'unofficial' games in less populated areas sometimes.

It's certainly more expensive to enter the hobby in the UK which I think holds it back from growing as much.

Guest pierce09
33 minutes ago, Immortal said:

Everythings more expensive here. Well everything I want to have and do is anyway. :D 

Yep. Airsoft in the US is pretty much swapping the £ for a $ on the price tag. that makes only a small difference on $10 items but $350 items it's a big increase.

On 3/21/2018 at 11:40 AM, Tommikka said:

Here’s a topic I’ve intended to put up for a while.....

I’d like to ask ‘what airsoft costs?’

At least 10 times what you told your mrs it costs.

based on my last game a week ago

£25 walk on fee

£8 Food and drink

£12 for BB's

£15 for Pyro's

+ a few £££ for petrol So about £60 for a full days play (i don't always go that mad on Pyro's but it is fun :D so worth the money to me)

however if you factor in that i have spent well over £4000 on new guns / upgrading them, buying kit - batteries and chargers etc over the 12 months since i started - i think ive played about 15 times so far that brings each game up to about £325 :unsure:

Or if the wife asks its about 20 quid .......

On 3/23/2018 at 3:49 PM, madmogga said:

based on my last game a week ago

£25 walk on fee

£8 Food and drink

£12 for BB's

£15 for Pyro's

+ a few £££ for petrol So about £60 for a full days play (i don't always go that mad on Pyro's but it is fun :D so worth the money to me)

however if you factor in that i have spent well over £4000 on new guns / upgrading them, buying kit - batteries and chargers etc over the 12 months since i started - i think ive played about 15 times so far that brings each game up to about £325 :unsure:

too true....  

On both counts...

• Moderators
On 23/03/2018 at 3:49 PM, madmogga said:

ditto that! :lol::lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update that I have not forgotten about this.

I had my 'What Paintball costs' update on the back burner and had intended to finish the Airsoft version first, but got grabbed to do a presentation on 'A passion'*, so did paintball and had to refresh my paintball stuff.

With this done (other than one section that needs a big rewrite) I now intend to complete an airsoft section for it which will ease some of my airsoft/paintball commonalities and then I'll get it up on here.

Feedback from you guys was great so I just have to update my 'research' parts and make it readable, so it will be up on here in the foreseeable future.

* It turned out that I was right and could not do a proper presentation in a 2-3 minute time slot.

After 5 scripts each on a separate area & cutting them into bullet point notes I binned the lot and cuffed it for a 4 minute quick run through of Toms life from punter to event organising and an arms deal in Lidls car park.  Even got laughs in the right places.

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, Tommikka said:

I had my 'What Paintball costs' update on the back burner and had intended to finish the Airsoft version first, but got grabbed to do a presentation on 'A passion'*, so did paintball and had to refresh my paintball stuff

Reported your post. Absolutely disgusting behaviour.

On 3/22/2018 at 11:26 PM, Immortal said:

Everythings more expensive here. Well everything I want to have and do is anyway. :D 

Except if you get injured, then you'll be glad you're here and not there.

I've spent about £500 to date, mainly on gear.  I haven't got UKARA yet, so just the one two tone IF.

But don't think I'll need much more in the way of gear, exept maybe a good pair of boots.

Once UKARA is sorted, then will be spending more on guns vs gear.

Cheers

G

1 hour ago, MisterG said:

Except if you get injured, then you'll be glad you're here and not there.

Sod that, I don't use the NHS so it makes no difference. Not that any of this is anything "I want to do or have" so it's a moot point.

17 hours ago, Immortal said:

Sod that, I don't use the NHS so it makes no difference. Not that any of this is anything "I want to do or have" so it's a moot point.

That’s easy to say when you’re immortal

I also prefer not to use the NHS, but that’s avoiding doctors & hospitals.

Theyve done pretty well when I have needed them though 

Hmmm, the NHS have saved my life more than once, my ex-wife’s life, my daughter’s life, several friends lives.

They’re ‘kin brilliant when push comes to shove

I agree, they were great when my daughter got detergent in her eyes.  Couldn't open her eyes for a week.

Cheers

G

So I'm new to all this and havnt actually played yet.

I went to my local shop who also run a shop at my local site.

Walk on is £25 for the day.

With rental it's £50 (plus £40 deposit)

I was all ready to pay the full price for rental until I can get ukara and buy a rif. After chatting to the guys at the shop I went ahead and bought a two tone. It'll save me £100 as I don't have to rent and I got a free game voucher with it.

• Root Admin

How much was the 2-tone though? Assuming £100?

These days a lot of retailers (hopefully the shop you went to included) will take care to paint the gun furniture for easy removal after you've got a valid defence so you might be ok to just spend 40 quid on a few bits to swap out to remove that bright colour down the line.

• 2 weeks later...

And I thought Italian airsoft was expensive 😂

€70 for insurance (lasts 1 year).

€15 for a bag of biovals every 2 weeks (+1 bag per tournament)

not even €5 for gas (LPG swift ftw).

I'd say around €50(£40 roughly) per month, playing every Sunday, excluding tournaments..

• Supporters

officially today i spent £10 on a suppressor for the sig and got a free barrel

unofficially i might also have dropped another 90 on mosfet goodness.

Archived