Moving on + handover

Deva
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• AF-UK Founding Member

Hi all,

It is with both sadness and excitement to let you know that I'll be handing over the keys to @proffrink this weekend. Therefore please expect some downtime as we do an internet style house move. We'll aim to get you back online ASAP of course.

It has been 10 years since myself and some friends got together to launch AF-UK - simply because we found it odd that no one had created an airsoft forum called "Airsoft Forums". We were always the underdog and slightly quieter forum vs. ASCUK (RIP) and ZeroIn, but once ASCUK bit the dust, I think people began to appreciate the chilled out nature and relatively relaxed rules of AF-UK vs ZeroIn which was a pleasure to witness.

Although I haven't been as active in recent years, I thoroughly enjoyed mixing in the forums with you guys and engaging in the banter and fun that went on. If you're here as much as I used to be (I read every post for about the first 5 years), perhaps you've been back through all the old posts and know what I'm talking about. Unfortunately, your passion can soon feel like your job and the same commitments no longer become possible. However, I know that the same community bubbles away today. Despite not being about the forums so much recently, I have continued my mission of keeping the board online, independent, secure and free from problems. You'll notice that the forum changes every so often - that's just because the software updates we install for security reasons also include core updates to the forum suite we use. I'd encourage you to try and get up-to-speed with these changes when they happens - they aren't being forced upon you for the fun of giving you something new to get used to, rather because they are necessary. That said, there have been some bigger changes over the years that have been to keep us with the times. Does anyone remember when the site looked like this?

2008:

DKZTdc3.jpg

2012:

4KlT8WY.jpg

2017:

syvpDTS.jpg

I'll still be around every so often to see how things are going and look forward to see how things change.

Now over to @proffrink!

Cheers,

Dev

• Root Admin

These are the best forums I've found for airsoft - I don't think I'm alone in that opinion, and it's something you should be proud of. Thank you.

We hope to see you about from time to time.

--

As for everything else; I'll be striving to keep most of the obvious stuff the same, as it's already a winning formula as far as I'm concerned. This isn't going to become a paintball forum just yet (that's next year's plan). We will be looking to refresh certain rules and procedures (with an aim to keeping things easy going moderation wise), we will be looking for new mods (specifically for keeping the classifieds pruned as necessary) and there will be some behind the scenes changes just to make moderating more easy and to delegate one or two bigger jobs to the moderation team in case I'm not about.

Other than that, not a huge deal on the books presently that will affect the core forum experience. I hope I do right by you all.

More announcements to follow next week on the specifics.

Archived