Face / Eye pro

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Well what a day it was yesterday!
Freezing cold and got shot in two new places.
As we were playing in woodland, I'd decided to forego my mesh mask. I've done it before without issue and it really helps stop my gigs fogging up.
But then I got shot. In the mouth. I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but I called my hit and turned to the chap next to me. I said, look at this - and out came a BB from my mouth. No damage at all to me, or the bb. Just ended up in my mouth! Very bizarre and very lucky!
Secondly, I got shot in the eye area - And I can confirm that ESS ICE are exceptionally good - hit right in the middle of my right eye and there's not even a scratch on the lens. And it hit hard enough to make my head recoil.
So I have learned two lessons -
ESS eyewear = good
No lower facepro = bad.....

Lucky!

I seem to get shot int he face a lot during CQB bits.. possibly because I am short, but whatever. outcome is, I have had loads of direct hits on my goggles, Bolle Tracers, Bolle Cobras and most recently Revision Bullet Ant Goggles. All have stood up to rather short range impact very well. However with the Tracers I have found that if someone hits you multiple times in the face, between them and the mask it can cause the goggles to move... 

CloseCall.thumb.jpg.cb4dfe76e1d93b4bc17e94b559e396b8.jpg

Ok,. it was an accident, but it freaked me out enough that I bought new goggles that are much better seal, so hopefully will not move as easily if it happens again. The Cobras, worked well as they sit closer to my face that the mask can sit over them and stay there. However they fog up something awful in doors! 

I tend to always wear a face mask in doors, I would rather keep my teeth :D However outside, I do sometimes play without it. Depending on the situation...  I've found outdoors I have gotten away with some sort of scarf, a thick collar or a baseball cap to deflect the blows is enough, as you can normally see them coming.

No dout I've jinxed it and I'll now loose a tooth though! 

• Supporters

Full seal goggles are the way forward! As you say @Arwen, half face masks and glasses can lead to some nasty incidents if the mask displaces your eye pro!

• Supporters

always a balance, i tend to go no mask outdoors where it's open and less chance of real up close engagement, then half mask for cqb

for me its always my top lip gets hit for some reason

Don't overlook head protection, even if it's just a hat.

I got pinged thrice in the forehead from about 15ft and it really hurt. Looked like Sloth from Goonies for a few hours.

I got hit in the chin, mouth, nose and forehead on Sunday, all ricochet’s at the range fortunately, from my buddies TM patriot :D

I might invest in face protection next time I shoot with him

• Supporters

Yup, the ESS ICE are great! What was your fogging situation like? My pair work really well even when I'm sweating like a pig. It would be good to get a second opinion. 

I wear lower mesh masks every game. Regardless of average engagement distances, just because I know that a) Any BB has the potential to take a tooth out and b] It's very rare you can guarantee long range engagements only. Sometimes, you might just get caught in a very compact area.

I've had a few hits to the mask but not much. When I play milsim I'll only be running it in CQB areas (inb4 I come back with no teeth)

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

always a balance, i tend to go no mask outdoors where it's open and less chance of real up close engagement, then half mask for cqb

for me its always my top lip gets hit for some reason

Was playing woodland on Sunday and a good friend got one to just above the eyebrow and you could see it was literally just shy of a bleeder so I’m positive if it had hit his mouth it would have 100% split his lip AND possibly cracked if not broken a tooth . He was wearing a mesh mask as was I and as I always do no matter what site I’m at , be it woodland OR CQB .

I always say, if you don't want to get shot there, cover it. 

I wear goggles with a small mouth mesh cover to protect my teeth, then a gator over my cheeks, not so bothered about my cheeks its just camo to prevent my face being an easy target. 

New face pro.jpg

• Supporters
On 20/03/2018 at 12:49 AM, Druid799 said:

Was playing woodland on Sunday and a good friend got one to just above the eyebrow and you could see it was literally just shy of a bleeder so I’m positive if it had hit his mouth it would have 100% split his lip AND possibly cracked if not broken a tooth . He was wearing a mesh mask as was I and as I always do no matter what site I’m at , be it woodland OR CQB .

it is a risk that's for sure, although my play style generally keeps me pretty far away from the action. 90% of the time i barely feel hits.

being in northern ireland probably helps, everyone's running 1j (well, in theory) so less likely. once got railed by a guy at point blank and didn't feel it, turned out he was running 190!

• Supporters

Nice mask Fumps , do like that , this is the one my whole team run now it’s quite similar to yours I was thinking .

https://www.weapon762.com/mask/519-tmc-metal-mesh-half-face-airsoft-mask-20.html?search_query=Mask&results=39

BA2B629D-A142-4BDA-A76F-2A3A4635BE7B.jpeg

Yeh Druid 

I came up with the design & got Heroshark to make it up for me. I hate too many straps around my head so the mask part is suspended from the goggles it gives less of a restricting feel when turning my head & also works well for sighting my primary 

• Supporters
50 minutes ago, Fumps said:

I hate too many straps around my head so the mask 

Think we’re on a similar wavelength mate , most of my masks have been mod’ed , no buckles so there a fixed length (it’s my mask so doesn’t need to be adjustable any more) and there’s a single strap going up to a mesh panel like you get on bowmen headsets .

On 22/03/2018 at 11:36 AM, Druid799 said:

Think we’re on a similar wavelength mate , most of my masks have been mod’ed , no buckles so there a fixed length (it’s my mask so doesn’t need to be adjustable any more) and there’s a single strap going up to a mesh panel like you get on bowmen headsets .

Yes mate, we can go on about being all military (Even when we are basically playing army in the woods) but if one strap or something isn't right, your day is always bothered by that sore bit of skin or it gets annoying because you were trying to sort your face pro & get shot. 

If your not set up right at the start of the day, little things become big things.

Archived