I want to start airsofting

Airsoft4life
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

On 22/03/2018 at 7:40 PM, Airsoft4life said:

i thought about buying all my safety gear first to show i care about the safety and im going to stay into it.

If your just starting don't go to over the top with your gear. If you are happy with being covered in bruises and what not just run with minimal clothing (Light weight vests etc) and focus on getting a better rifle. I don't recall seeing if you had any experience in games before. If not I can always recommend going to your local site and hiring. This just helps you to get a feel for the game (Youtube videos and playing are two different things). This also will stop you wasting money as airsoft is not the cheapest sport around. 

Cheers,

Kris

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

That helmet is cheapy chinese copy of the devtac ronin helmet.  Cheap chinese being the operative term there. 

That ‘helmet’ is not on any level rated to protect your eyes, face, teeth or ears.  Just because an Airsoft retailer are selling it doesn’t mean they’re safe to use, it just means the retailer in question isn’t responsible. 

Buy a decent paintball mask mask like a dye i4 and guarantee the safety of the only eyes you’ve got. 

But aren't i playing airsoft not paintball Correct?

and what about the http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-head-protection/8fields-tactical-tactical-g4-helmet-w-full-face-mesh-multicam.htm#.WrfOrWinG00

Its cheaper andfull faced protection covering the ears,head,mouth and obviously eyes.

• Supporters
56 minutes ago, Airsoft4life said:

and what about the http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-head-protection/8fields-tactical-tactical-g4-helmet-w-full-face-mesh-multicam.htm#.WrfOrWinG00

Its cheaper andfull faced protection covering the ears,head,mouth and obviously eyes.

The guys here giving you advice are extremely knowledgable and experienced. Listen to them.

Advice is like the age old saying, don’t run before you can walk. Go rent for a game and play, see if you enjoy the pain and mud and everything else before you start spending money.

Then use the search function, have a look at face and eye pro, see what these experienced, friendly forum members have already typed 100 times previously.

You would be better off buying a fencing mask than that tut you have posted links too. 

We will not give you advice that is going to risk your health/life, whereas a shop has no responsibility, just the chance to make some money, we are players; players who want this game of ours to prosper and grow. To do this, we need people to stick around, so instead of you wasting money and getting fed up that nothing is how you want it, we will only recommend things that are reliable and known to do the job properly.

If you want to ignore said advice, go ahead, but don’t be surprised if people ignore any of your future threads, what’s the point in responding to something your not going to listen too?

Apologies if this sounds rude, but sometimes you have to be blunt to get the point across.

53 minutes ago, Airsoft4life said:

Yes you’re playing airsoft not paintball

But Paintball has cornered the market in safe facial protection, going from workshop goggles and telling people not to shoot heads, to goggles designed to protect from the impact and quality eye protection

In airsoft you do not need the full level of protection from a 0.68” Paintball but just the level of protection of a 6mm plastic B.B. 

You need the same eye protection, ideally ear protection, and more tooth protection due to chips

Airsoft can get away with safety glasses as long as they are to the right standard - but you can’t play in those because you are only 14 

As a paintballer I distrust those, and have also seen bbs lodged into the side of safety glasses 

Airsoft can also get away with safety goggles in the style of ski goggles. (Again right standard and again you can’t because you are 14)

Most Paintball equipment developed from existing sports manufacturers such as JT sports with MotoCross and ski safety equipment, and started with just the goggle element, then added face guards like airsoft and developed into full face goggles

Paintball manufacturers also sell to the airsoft market with just the eye goggles, such as the i3 airsoft goggle which excludes the full face element of the i3 Paintball goggle

Many airsofters wear Paintball goggles - because they are designed for the job, comply with safety standards and are also recognised as to standard by staff

You can also make your money go further with Paintball goggles.

i4s have been recommended a few times, they have a lower profile and are ideal for younger players, are premium goggles and were until recently top of the range and are available for less £ then items you are looking up.  They can be used for years and lenses are available to replace whenever - either because of hits taken or for colour schemes such as clear for dark, yellow for sunlight & dusk, pretty colours for pretty, mirrored for posing ....

For even less £ you can buy Paintball goggles that will meet all your needs

Or you could buy normal airsoft goggles

Remember that you told us your parents are anti gun.

You are not going to convince them you are not becoming a gun nut by looking only at tacticool and ignoring the advice of airsoft players

Apart from the previous mentioned issues with the current selection of helmet mask combos mentioned, they look very big and may be really difficult to get your face close enough to your line of sight to take an accurate shot.

You want something that follows the shape of your face to allow a decent cheek weld. Otherwise you'll be guessing where your shooting or holding it in an unorthodox position.

If you get a full face mesh mask you can shape it to the structure of your face for a better fit. Plus they are cheap.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Airsoft4life said:

Incorrect.  You're not playing anything until you get parental permission.

Buying something that looks military is exactly the wrong way to go about it.  Explaining that it'll make you safer won't help, because that just over-exaggerates the danger.

I'm getting the strong impression that you're indulging in some fantasy shopping.  Persuade your parents, do a day with a hire gun and hire gear, then we can talk about what you should buy.

• Supporters

Oh, and the way to pitch it is that "It's basically like paintball, only cheaper to play."

Stick to that.  Don't spaff on about the guns and gear.  Don't raise safety issues unless they mention it first.

Just describe it as a team sport, healthy larking around with the lads in the woods, building dens, mmm, ah, jumpers for goalposts, marvellous, isn't it?

On 22/03/2018 at 8:06 PM, Airsoft4life said:

Considering you're 14 unless you are very well built and tall for your age then that plate carrier will swamp you. Even if it fits you wont be able to move and if you do you'll boil to death :lol:

Just get a dye i4 (£55) and a beanie (would hope you have one) really comfy covers everything and good enough for airsoft - never fogs which is better than most!

@Rogerborg You've nailed it. Also is your son/daughter sporty at all?

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Aengus said:

@RogerborgAlso is your son/daughter sporty at all?

Daughter is a gymnast, but is too young for pew-pew.

Son is a sedentary nerd.  I often steal his lunch money, it builds character.

19 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Daughter is a gymnast, but is too young for pew-pew.

Son is a sedentary nerd.  I often steal his lunch money, it builds character.

Ah no idea to help you then :blink:. If he's a sedentary nerd he might enjoy desertfox's channel?

• 2 months later...

Just curious, did you ever play?

Sorry for the necro, but clicked next unread topic at this came up.

Cheers

G

Archived