I want to start airsofting

Airsoft4life
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, steakandpotato said:

Like what?

EOD suit, obviously. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks like an awfully expensive amount of sh*t just to not get your eye poked out.

I'd honestly suggest staying away from both of those overpriced ass helmet things and sticking with a goggles + lower face mask setup. There's a reason most people run that.

Also - That stuff is mandatory. I get that your parents won't know that, but you can't play non-rental without it, so it's a relatively moot point.

As I said, your best bet is to stick to rentals now and just explain to them that it costs you more money to not buy a gun.

• Supporters

Just go with a paintball mask. U18s require full face protection anyway and there's a wide range of masks to choose from. I'd recommend Dye i4s. 

As for vests don't bother. For a 14y/o's frame a chest rig or battle belt will work much better. 

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Airsoft4life said:

are you able to rent but not have to use the rental protection and use your own?

You can bring and use whatever you want. You don't have to use the equipment that's on-site. 

You should at least play one game before buying your own kit. That will give you a good idea of what you're getting into.

and buying that one would show safety is something i consider seriously because i know that is the safest option imo

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Airsoft4life said:

are you able to rent but not have to use the rental protection and use your own?

Sure, if it's up to the job.  Dye I4 is a good shout.  You don't need body armour, and you don't need a helmet.  I wear a stiff brimmed cap, others wear less.

Once again for luck: how are you intending to play without an over 18 to accompany and vouch for you?  My local sites will require them to actually be playing with you, not just sitting in the safe zone.  How about yours?  I'd be very sure they don't want irate parents rocking up screeching about their son being trained in a murder simulator.

Unless you can solve that, you're on a hiding to nothing.

ive read my local sites safety rules and they only have to sign something and i can plau for the whole day with them only watching or some they only have to do that i can be there unaccompanied im pretty sure

DONT QUOTE ME THOUGH!!

1 hour ago, Airsoft4life said:

ok i like a full head helemet because i cant get shot in the ears or back of the head etc 

If your parents are already reluctant with their anti gun stance then going straight for the military look may not be ideal.

Coming from a Paintball background I distrust mesh shields, and also in particular with the 2nd link the title spamming of :

Helmet Airsoft Paintball CF Game Full Face Mask Tactical Protective UK Stock

...... is an absolute no no for me.

That is pure keyword spamming and is not approved for Paintball, that rings alarm bells and I would’nt trust an eBay title spammer to be up to standards for airsoft either

If you intend to go for full head coverage the easy answer is a set of full head goggles, such as the Valken, JT and proto full head masks

https://www.justpaintball.co.uk/masks-goggles/headshields-masks

I have a set of old JT headshied goggles, but I am big headed and feel trapped inside, so they have been used as loan goggles or for high angle camera mounts.

Personaly I prefer a standard set of goggles (not the i4 as again for me I am big headed so my chin and part of my mouth are exposed) 

I prefer the VForce Grill, but also off the top of my head also have the headshield, Dye I3s, VForce Armour, Annex mi3, Empire eVents.

More ‘quality’ full face Paintball goggles are rubberized and can bend around when you lean into a stock etc, but if they fit your head then hard plastic ones are still comfortable.

For example my vforce and annexe are cheaper ‘starter’ goggles, which was right for my VForce but I primarily bought the annex for their multicma like camo pattern, they sit well on my head so are comfortable.

Full head goggles may make your head hot and suffer from sweat.  You can gain all round protection with a wooly beanie hat, headscarf or reversed baseball cap

Id recommend trying the rentals on site and seeing if players will let you try on goggles. Nothing beats trying on first for comfort and head shape

58 minutes ago, Airsoft4life said:

ive read my local sites safety rules and they only have to sign something and i can plau for the whole day with them only watching or some they only have to do that i can be there unaccompanied im pretty sure

DONT QUOTE ME THOUGH!!

Under 18 you will need an adult to counter sign your waiver. It’s up to the sites insurance and their policy’s as to whether that adult has to play with you, hang around or just sign the paper and leave

• Supporters

I like the idea of you buying protective gear to show that you are responsible.

Or pretend that you are doing drugs and only get better when you can play airsoft because that's much more fun than drugs. :blink:

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Airsoft4life said:

DONT QUOTE ME THOUGH!!

We won't have to quote you if you tell us what site it is.  You've still got the problem of persuading them to back you though, and dropping money on face protection in anticipation of that may be a waste of money.

You could ask them to drop in here and we'll put on our best grown up voices and say (truthfully) that it's a great team sport that teaches confidence, fair play, sportsmanship, impulse control, and personal responsibility.  Yes, it's played with toys that look like guns, but they're not guns, they can't be converted into guns, and it's an alternative to mayhem rather than a gateway to it.  I'm forever trying to get my 14 year old to try it.

the paintball helmet i linked was on the patrol base website for sometime i believe and I've seen airsofters use it.

1 hour ago, Airsoft4life said:

the paintball helmet i linked was on the patrol base website for sometime i believe and I've seen airsofters use it.

I’ll guarantee that it is unsuitable and unsafe for paintball.  Even though it (or the same look) has been on a UK airsoft retailers site I would advise avoiding this type of thing on eBay as unless you know exactly what you are getting then things may not be truely rated for eye protection - many genuine items are copied

Buy eye protection from reliable sources

• Supporters

With the best will in the world, you're not going to be playing anywhere until you solve the parent problem.  Planning to buy some tacticool helmet against our advice isn't the way to demonstrate that you're going to pay attention to safety briefings.

For the third time of asking, if you tell us which site you're planning to play at, you might get more specific, useful advice.  We want to help you, but drip feeding information and arguing the toss isn't helping your cause.

Try not to get too tied up on looks when first buying, especially if it's going to cost that much more that the basic face protection. Often simpler is better. Less heavy, less restrictive, probably more likely to fit you better. I'd say get some decent goggles, a lower face shield and a hat, and you'll have just as suitable protection at half the cost. You can worry about spending loads on a specific look later on, once you know for sure the game is something you want to keep playing, and once you know what it's actually like to play (before my first game I bought a helmet. That lasted about 3 games before I realised it added unnecessary weight, and made my head a bigger target. Now I just wear a hood or baseball cap).

Additionally, I'm not sure spending £150 on a face-mask and tac-vest is the best way to show responsibility to your parents. I think if I'd done that at 14 my parents would have thought two things: 1. This game is going to be far too expensive, and 2. Our son is spending money far too recklessly, and we don't want him spending even more on this. Buy some more reasonably priced gear, and that might be different.

12 hours ago, Airsoft4life said:

It might be cheaper on eBay because the seller has less overheads - or it could be cheaper on eBay because it isn’t the same thing and is not up to standard.

You don’t want to find out why it’s cheaper at the expense of your eyes

I strongly recommend that you do not buy those goggles/helmet from eBay 

I’ll also recommend that (certainly for the moment) you don’t buy that type of goggle/helmet 

Either way it’s a lot of money to be spent by a new player, it’s a lot of money to be spent by a 14 year old, and a hell of a lot of money to be spent by a 14 year old who is trying to convince their parents on the idea.

Its also a very future warrior / killing machine style which anti gun parents will not be keen on.

They can also take one look at it as proof that computer games are influencing the choices you make

You need to plan on getting them on board to support your choice to play airsoft and show them that it’s a fun game that will get you outside with exercise

Archived