RAVEN EU Series G18 [Nuprol] vs WE G-Series G18c?

steakandpotato
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Going to be picking up a G18 within the next couple of months. Narrowed it down to these two (Considered TM but they don't seem to do a G18)

The pricing difference is only £10 which leads into 'Get the WE. Its more reputable' etc, which I understand. However: I'd like to save money where possible as I need to get a holster + spare mag (and therefore probably another mag pouch for it).

I've looked up reviews and they both seem to be solid guns. Was just wondering if anyone has any reasons not to get one/definitely get the other.

Thanks

NUPROL RAVEN - EU Series 18 Full Auto GBB Pistol - Black:

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-pistols/raven-eu-series-18-full-auto-gbb-pistol-black.htm#.WquOwB3FJdg

WE Europe: G Series G18c Gen3 Gas Airsoft Pistol - Black:

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-pistols/we-europe-g-series-g18c-gen3-gas-airsoft-pistol-black.htm#.WquOsR3FJdg

7 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

TM G18 £100 from Rainbow8

https://www.rainbow8.com/collections/pistol-gbb/products/tokyo-marui-g18c-gbb-pistol

But otherwise, get the WE, known quantity, TM compatible etc etc

Damn is that site legit? That is mega cheap for a TM.

yep it is .

I have used them before for parts, but not an entire RIF..

Have a search around for importing a RIF, you will see what needs to be done. You may get hit by import charges and other things

HTH

27 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

Someone told me the Plastic on the Raven's lower feels much cheaper than the WE.

I'd wager the slide assemblies come from the same place mind you.

Ah. Maybe that's where they recoup the £10

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporters
52 minutes ago, Duff said:

Let's hope WE bought out Nuprol and not the other way around....

It won't be through ownership, it'll be manufacturing under licence.

• 1 month later...

The raven mags are not the same quality as the WE, just picked up a raven mag as a replacement from patrol base. Not the same quality but is ambidextrous.

• 2 weeks later...

If the gun is built like the mags, stay away from the Ravens. Nothing but problems, awful quality

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Funny you say that...

A chap (defender90) posted about how good his raven was back in April, and I said he should've paid another £10 on the WE.

Then Monday, a month an a half later he liked my post.

I wonder if he saw the error of his ways

6KPL8Mw.jpg

🤣

I have both, I bought the Raven as I was after a spare to go with my WE G18C gen3 and was assured by the retailer (one of the main, reputable UK ones) it was WE compatible, they are yet to reply to my email on the issues of compatibility.

I can say for sure that the Raven and the WE ARE NOT THE SAME, to my disdain. It aint a rebadged WE, there are subtle differences in the internals,  and the parts on my WE, both aftermarket and WE, don't fit properly on the Raven. I have an Archive slide/outer barrel and maple leaf inner barrel and hop unit that fits a treat on my WE but on the Raven it sits in the wrong position so overlaps the end of the frame and won't cycle properly. The fact it fits and locks on but sits in the wrong position leads me to believe this is because they are different internally. The inner and outer barrel from the WE fit in the Raven but it just sticks and vents all the gas when you fire. 

The outer barrel in threaded internally but it is not the same as the WE thread as the WE adapter is a little too small, so this again leads me to believe it is not a WE. 

On the subject of magazine compatibility....well my WE mags won't lock in place on the Raven but the Raven mags do in the WE, though it sounds like there is not a perfect gas seal. Also, the Raven mags need a real whack on the base to lock in on the Raven anyway. 

Another difference is the (awful) trigger, this appears to be technically different to the WE. The WE trigger, when uncocked, sits very close into frame but on the Raven, it is further out and is pretty poor, the trigger safety blade catches and causes sticking, though this may wear in with use or could be filed down a bit. 

It does work however, but accuracy is pretty poor (the slide is quite a loose fit, looser than a WE, and rattles a bit) though this could just be a poor hop. There may be some light striking issues and the slide lock doesn't always lock back on the last round either. 

Overall, it's just cheap (in build, I still expect better for £90) but does work....though ultimately disappointing compared to the WE for just £10 more..

I also have a Raven MEU, seems ok but awful spongy trigger. In theory it is WE/TM compatible so will try the mags from my TM 1911 in  it. The only difference SHOULD be that the mag rubber is curved on the TM.

Ta

Haha no worries, maybe when/if they reply to my queries! 

I don't normally go on forums but keep seeing 'Its a WE' and 'WE compatible' being bandied about and it just isn't true, or at least the one I have anyway! Maybe its very poor manufacturing tolerances but I don't think so! I've been upgrading GBB pistols for 10 or more years, I can never leave them standard... I at least expected the WE mags to fit but they don't even lock in place with the slide locked back...

One thing I have learned from being in airsoft for more years than I care to remember (I got my TM Gspec and DE hardkick imported when they were first released in Japan..) is that a lot of the airsoft media never seem to say anything negative about the products they are sent to review.....the ravens included..so never believe their reviews

Right, quick update from the retailer re:WE magazine compatibility in the Raven...and I quote - 

When we have tested the compatibility, we have found that removing the WE G17 magazine base plate helps lock the magazine in place, so that you are able to use the WE magazines with the Raven (however, on some occasions we have found that you do not have to make any adjustments).  

Apart from the above, using the original Raven magazines would be the best option (and they are also cheaper).

"

So there you go...not really WE compatible if you have to remove the base plate in my opinion...I will try it later. Removing the base plate would look crap and also possibly mean the fill valve and bottom of the mag is more prone to damage in use. 

If they said it was not really compatible internally and the WE mags would need the base plate removing I wouldn't have bought it, rather than saying it was WE compatible as was my question to them...and they obviously knew it..

Have you been miss sold PPI? Sorry, I mean a Raven EU18.....

I'll see how it performs anyway!

Another update...standard WE mags seem to fit if you remove the baseplate...but are tricky to remove without the baseplate to grip.

However....the 50 round long WE mag does not fit! Locked the slide back and forced it in and it eventually locked in place but the slide stuck! Weird..

Re the Raven MEU mag compatibility - Marui 1911 mags fit and work fine in mine!

Seems to me that you’d have to be nuts to save the £10 and buy the nuprol. 

• Mostly Retired Moderators
33 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Seems to me that you’d have to be nuts to save the £10 and buy the nuprol. 

Yeah it's a no brainer really to any airsofter with some sense.

It seems that Nuprol have managed to pay their way into good reviews, so most people will take the retailers at their word.

Because no shop ever wants to bad mouth a cheap product which has huuuge profit margin.

We did the same thing at Andertons music.

Stagg make all kinds of absolutely terrible music accessories and instruments. Woeful products.

But we were told to reassure customers that they were great, because they had an absolutely collosal profit margin. We made more selling shitty guitar cables and gig bags than we did Fender and Gibson guitars!

• Supporters
9 hours ago, L3wisD said:

We made more selling shitty guitar cables and gig bags than we did Fender and Gibson guitars!

Harley Davidson make way more selling t shirts and tassel bags than they do selling bikes.

17 hours ago, L3wisD said:

Yeah it's a no brainer really to any airsofter with some sense.

It seems that Nuprol have managed to pay their way into good reviews, so most people will take the retailers at their word.

Because no shop ever wants to bad mouth a cheap product which has huuuge profit margin.

We did the same thing at Andertons music.

Stagg make all kinds of absolutely terrible music accessories and instruments. Woeful products.

But we were told to reassure customers that they were great, because they had an absolutely collosal profit margin. We made more selling shitty guitar cables and gig bags than we did Fender and Gibson guitars!

Most of the content of the airsoft magazines seem to be adverts disguised as editorial. Pretty shameful sometimes. 

Oh and the review I submitted to the retailers website hasn't appeared yet. I thought I was fair enough about the gun in it.

Archived