Hello from an Edinburgh-based newbie!

allyballybee
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Welcome back to the moneysink. :)

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

Thanks guys! ^_^

If anyone feels like sharing any great tips for beginners or advice feel free to PM me! Think my first game will be at Land Warrior a week on Sunday if anyone has been to the site?

Welcome, 

Landwarrior is a great site, good for beginners.

I would suggest stick about with a couple regulars as they might say "Go to the Alimo" and give you a vague direction :)

Only tip I could give a new player is play the way you want to play!

This rule morphs and becomes the soul of airsoft eventually, you might pick up uniform and kit and that will be a look YOU want and looks cool (comfy and useful to you), might be butt ugly and useless to someone else but not you!

Your gun might be unique, common, short, long, etc it's all on YOU! :)

Play your own game and have fun!

Personal tips: Get whatever gun you want, don't be swayed by people putting it down (unless you fall in with a crowd that all run the same gun and rave about it, they may have a point). Have fun. Don't over spend on clothing and gear.

Survival tips: Shoot and move. Listen to voices. Keep your head down. Cover to cover. Don't be afraid of dying

Just a little bit of advice. Landwarrior is (probably) the only site in the area with a full auto limit of 370fps. So if you buy a gun from them and it is between 350-370fps, just be aware of that most other sites are 350fps. They will downgrade it for you if you ask.  

They also are the only site I know of that don't use tape to mark the teams... instead they use challenge words. 

I've not played that their site yet, however it does seem like an interesting place. The shop is usually well stocked too which is nice!

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the tips! Some good advice! 

Did any of you go two-tone and just cam up the bright parts or just wait until you had played enough for UKARA registration? I think renting is probably wise for the first time but sound financial decisions and me are somewhat strangers! 

Arwen thanks for the heads up, thats definitely good to bear in mind!

3 hours ago, Arwen said:

Just a little bit of advice. Landwarrior is (probably) the only site in the area with a full auto limit of 370fps. So if you buy a gun from them and it is between 350-370fps, just be aware of that most other sites are 350fps. They will downgrade it for you if you ask.  

They also are the only site I know of that don't use tape to mark the teams... instead they use challenge words. 

I've not played that their site yet, however it does seem like an interesting place. The shop is usually well stocked too which is nice!

I've played 2 games that done challenge words. Once at The Mall (only lasted 1 hour long game then they stopped). Once at a night ops game @ Dogtag (Was too dark to see colours/didn't want to give away position by wearing bright fluorescent bands). Challenge words suck lol

1 hour ago, allyballybee said:

Did any of you go two-tone and just cam up the bright parts or just wait until you had played enough for UKARA registration? I think renting is probably wise for the first time but sound financial decisions and me are somewhat strangers! 

I'm rented once then borrowed friends guns. If I didn't have friends to borrow guns from, I'd rent.

I rented my 3 times then not a day more, I bought a gun a month later.

Personally there's nothing wrong with two tone, at all, but it is a pain to paint up and 9/10 people don't prep is right or do it right...

Also if and when you come to get a gun, you don't have to limit yourself to the "beginner" guns.

There's plenty at £140 that are fantastic (Like G&G HIGHLY recommend as a starter gun!)

However I spent £300 on an ICS CXP-16 L and I still use it 6 years on.

I used the buy cheap buy twice rule, however there's plenty guns that contradict this being overpriced or much stronger than advertised in the price.

2 hours ago, allyballybee said:

No bother. I just rented for 3 games (the rentals at my local site are not two tone thankfully) then bought my own. It also allowed me to see what sort of aeg I wanted for my playing style. 

I think thats the way i will go too, it does make a certain amount of sense to get a feel for different ones! 

If i temper my impatience and wait the 2 months, i will probably be better informed when choosing!

Hi Ally,

Best to hire for your three games, talk to folk when you go. I have yet to meet an airsofter that doesn't luv to talk about their RIFs . You will get lots of opinions and info on whats best  and more importantly what to avoid.

LWA will do all the UKARA stuff for you. Take out their membership it saves you £5 a game and gets you a few % back on purchases (you'll need that :D ).

Arwen is right LWA's limits are a little more than the other sites in Scotland (UK.). When it comes time to purchasing a RIF, be sure to ask for 350fps so you can use it on other sites.

Not using team tape causes the odd "cluster f*ck" but it does induce some very good comedy moments. Just be sure to listen when the challenge and response is set for the team that you are on. Personally I don't miss it, as for me at least, 9 times out of 10 i can't see it anyways.

I'll be @LWA  25th please do come and say hello.

All the Best

alan

Sorry for the delayed response Alan, appreciate the tips. 

I've booked in at Land Warrior for Sunday 25th, my brother is coming along, we've been talking about it for a while and decided to plunge in now! I think i will take out a membership, especially if they help deal with the UKARA, though i couldnt see anything on their website about it! 

I'll absolutely say hello, we won't be hard to spot, the two gingers in the crispy new combats haha!

you won't stand out that much there are always plenty of "just out the box" guys kicking around.

I'll be the guy in MTP sporting my newly acquired AFUK forum patch :lol:

Looking fwd to playing spot the forum guys on Sunday.

Alan

4 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

http://www.airsoftedinburgh.com/membership/ "we offer a free UKARA membership"

It's to their benefit to get you UKARA'd up so that they can take all of your money. ;)

They already have most of mines :blink:

i made the mistake of looking at my purchase history, not doing that again !!!!

I did notice that but i was on the land warrior site so thought maybe they were actually seperate sites, ill definitely get involved! 

Haha a few newbies from here going?

Archived