Is it a mistake for a beginner to buy a non starter gun?

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've tended in life to buy the best I could afford, but some people reckon beginners should start with a cheap, uncomplicated gun.

Don't get me wrong. I can't afford to buy the best stuff out there, and I'm not desperate for mosfets, lipo batteries, electronic triggers etc.

But I do like things that are solid and of good quality. Fortunately the guns I tend to favour have version 3 gearboxes.

I like AKs and would like to buy an LCT. These guns are said to be amongst the best where AKs are concerned, and yet they don't seem to be particularly expensive. They are cheaper for example than some of the intermediate quality G&G M16/4s.

Is the LCT likely to be too much of a gun for me. Do I need to have quite a bit of technical knowledge to own one? Do I really have to start with a combat machine?

I suppose where the LCT is concerned, availability of parts might be an issue in the UK, since not many retailers seem to stock this brand. But if the gun is solid enough to give me a bit of pleasure before things start to go, I'm sure I won't be the first airsofter to take it to a airsoft tech.

What do you think? 

• Head Moderator

I cannot answer your question about LCT as I have no experience with them. You do not need to start with CM16, although it is a sound choice to begin with compared to other similar priced guns.

I bought a TM recoil for my first gun. Reliable out the box without needing to upgrade or replace with another gun later. If you can afford it and plan airsoft as a hobby then no reason not to buy a good gun to start with and get something you like. (I consider my TM 416D to be a starter gun).

You can buy whatever gun you want... Just look at my gun selection lol..

But the issue i have is that im scared of taking them apart any further than field strips lol. 

Buy what you want. Buy the best you can afford. And research it first... Can you get spares and repairs easily?! 

The main reason people tell beginners to buy cheap guns is because if you’re not sure or committed to the sport, it’s easier to sell on a £99 gun than a £450 one. If you know you enjoy the game and want something, then get the best you can afford.

ive been disappointed with 90% of the guns ive bought, so all I’d say is do some research about the gun you want. If it all looks good, then go for it. A higher quality gun will last you longer. 

If you can, handle one. 

Thanks for all the advice.

Yes, I like the hobby very much, and when I'm finally too old to play, I'd like to keep my guns just to look at them and shoot them at home. I am even allowed to shoot them at my local airgun range if I wish.

I've lost so much money over the years buying and selling airguns that I don't want to go down that road again. I'd rather buy something decent that I want to keep. I'm tired of selling things because I shouldn't have bought them in the first place.

Thanks again.

• Supporters

Research is the name of the game, do the the YouTube vids etc, but not the dodgy 12yr olds in their bedroom type ;) , then when you've got a shortlist come on here get opinions on them from those who have owned them.

ive never owned an AK, nor anything by LCT, but if I was to reccomend a brand it would be TM, anything by them will do the job, won't be the most powerful gun you've ever owned but its likely to be the most reliable.

as if by magic lol:

LCT make good guns. I really like their g3. If they ever do a psg1 I’ll be all over it. 

I love TM, and in terms of performance a Tm recoil AK is probably going to shoot further, but they look horrible and cheap. I’m sure GHK use LCT bodies. If that’s the case you could use it as a pick axe and it would be fine. They’re properly solid. 

LCT are all about the externals, They have the highest quality external parts, stamped steel, Milled aluminium, made to look and feel like the real thing, or as close as possible. And because of that they have a reputation for producing some of the best guns for long life, durability, and feel.

You buy an LCT knowing that.

Internally LCT's are better than basic. They don't have high end upgrades, but they have upgrades that work. So expect, steel gearset, Bearings, Shimming, High torque motor, O-ring airseal nozzle, Decent spring guide, decent piston, decent cylinder and piston heads. 6.02 inner barrel, and a plastic hop unit, decent silver plated wire.

They don't come with a mosfet.

As such the LCT is actually a perfect gun for somone just getting going. You shouldn't need to upgrade anything, and the externals will be solid enough that you will not have to worry about breaking it.

The only thing LCT are bad for is Mag compatibility. Make sure you check the mags you want to buy will work in it. They have as close to real steel mag catches, and because of that not all airsoft brands have the correct tolerances to lock in place and feed correctly. This is more of a problem for people who already own an AK, and are put off LCT's because the mags they have will have problems, If you go for an LCT from the start you can have a full working setup without those problems.

Been the owner of the LCT G3 I highly recommend them.

Just like everyone else has said, buy the weapon you like, at the end of the day if you spend £80 or £800 quid it doesn't really matter!

if your into AK's then LCT is a good choice! or go for E&L or abit on the cheaper side Cyma but cyma wont be as good as either of those two , buy what you want , there just AEG's at the end of the day so nothing complicated about any of them and they can all be upgraded as easy as the next although on the plus side of having an E&L ak is they come with quick change spring gearbox's , so you can change the spring without having to pull the gearbox apart ;) ... also the external's of both e&l and lct will be really really good so will be worth upgrading if you felt like splashing cash on fancy barrels etc etc

5 minutes ago, AK47frizzle said:

Dude, I went from a cheapo aeg to a £1000+ custom build haha - just do what you want

Just commitioned my first build. Externally its going to be pretty much stock but internally its getting almost the works lol. Its a little cqb set up a APS 106 patriot. Turns out its quite rare as its from before the changed their logo. Its having a gear set . Piston set , somthing gate programable mosfet. High torque motor , spring. And 1 or 2 other ancillarys hop up rubber ect... not decided what to do barel wise yet as not decided what route to go down tracer wise. Thinking madbull ultimate 3 in 1 led tracer hop up unit. Been told though im crazy spending 160 to 220 on upgrades. But a grand wow id need it to make coffee at that kind of money.  At the end of the day its going to be my keeper / go to cqb rifle. Its looks so diffrent to most of what you see out their and its fun to shoot im just hoping its going to be even more fun after the work has been finished on it. 

• Supporters

I love the term starter gun as all it means is the first gun you buy and that can be anything. £100 or a £1000 its irrelevant just buy what you like as long as you remember it is only the player who makes a  real difference. The gun is all about personal choice and what makes you happy.

Other thing is being a beginner does not make any difference as some people are better on their first game than some guys who have played 10 years.

Find it buy don't look back.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Wo1f said:

I love TM, and in terms of performance a Tm recoil AK is probably going to shoot further, but they look horrible and cheap. 

Don’t know if I’d go quite that far mate , only takes a ‘wee’ bit of work to get them looking a LOT better , and the 74nm looks just like it’s real equivalent (I’ve handle and fired most AKs made up too 1990) and they do put a fecking big smile on your face when you do shoot them ! :D

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Wo1f said:

compared to the GHK I think it looks like a springer

Very true indeed but as I said bit of work on those horrible ‘wood effect’ ones and there good , BUT performance wise totally different matter if the guy with the ‘springer’ looking gun is hitting you but your 1to1 looking AK isn’t even reaching him bit of a mute point ? 

And as an example of they can look good , TM and real ;

394A9AA6-EBA3-4354-8199-CF1E4051A1CB.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Very true indeed but as I said bit of work on those horrible ‘wood effect’ ones and there good , BUT performance wise totally different matter if the guy with the ‘springer’ looking gun is hitting you but your 1to1 looking AK isn’t even reaching him bit of a mute point ? 

And as an example of they can look good , TM and real ;

394A9AA6-EBA3-4354-8199-CF1E4051A1CB.jpeg

Completely agree on the performance point. I love TM’s. I run 2 MWS, mp7, mk23 and having a 416 delta built. 

That looks a lot better. Fake wood makes me sick lol. 

On the point of buying an LCT, I've got one and it's the only gun I've never done any work on. I've never had to, it's always performed excellently. I wish I'd bought it as a first gun and saved myself hundreds on the three others I got before it (and have since sold on for being rubbish) :rolleyes:

• Supporters
14 hours ago, Wo1f said:

That looks a lot better. Fake wood makes me sick lol. 

Yup not the only one mate , still amazes me that TM can turn out such excellent performing guns but yet they STILL turn out utterly crap fake wood furniture!!!! :blink: 

1 minute ago, Druid799 said:

Yup not the only one mate , still amazes me that TM can turn out such excellent performing guns but yet they STILL turn out utterly crap fake wood furniture!!!! :blink: 

I think their plastic in general is crap. When I had my NGRS Scar H next to my we Scar H it felt cheap and nasty. If they started using nice nylon fibre I’d be very happy. 

Hey it is totally okay to get a higher grade gun. Moreover, LCT is a really good choice. Good external I would say.

But E&L is definitely the best among all AK i've seen. The external is produced by real steel firearm manufacturer and the price is not really that high. I own an E&L AK74S AEG and GHK AK GBB (whose external is made by LCT). E&L is absolutely killing it.

Archived