THE TM MWS thread

Wo1f

I have this daydream which I guess needs to be crushed. It’s of an injection moulded magazine for the MWS just like the polymer glock magazine from WE Tech. Lightweight and with the same reliance as the original. 

how does one proceed with such an idea? Has reversed engineering come so far that you could 3D scan the outer shell of the Marui mag and make a mould for polymer? Alternatively 3D print polymer with heat sunk thread inserts for the valves? 

...the whole affair sounds terribly costly but I can’t stop thinking about having these lightweight IPSC mags for the MWS. 

44 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

Can you qualify exactly what the issue was with the performance? Inconsistent  fps? Too much variance between shots? 

There were a few issues I’ve had with my valve.

Firstly, the translucent plastic adjusting screw was so tight fitting in it’s threads that the provided metal tool to adjust it did a lot of damage when adjusting, especially when performing the adjustment with it installed inside the nozzle. During testing, to adjust FPS, I had to disassembly the whole damn bolt to take the valve out then very carefully screw in/out to prevent further stripping, which was a major pain in the ass. 

Secondly, with the valve at its maximum setting I got to 1.3 joules, 102m/s with 0.25, and found that it was not consistent either. For example, with a fully gassed up mag I could get 102, then 95, then 103, then 94. Compared to the stock valve which barely has a deviation of 2m/s for me. It could be that this is because the valve was in a position where it was “too maxed out”, but for me the whole point of installing the valve was to reach the 5m minimum engagement distance limits here in Sweden (1.7j) so it’s not fit for my requirements.  

But there is someone here who uses the valve and has good performance, so I wonder if mine is a lemon or if it’s not the right one for my barrel length? I followed the guide on jkarmy for which one to get but maybe getting a valve for a longer inner barrel in order to over-gas the system and get more joule creep would be better. 

3 hours ago, ajumma said:

There were a few issues I’ve had with my valve.

Firstly, the translucent plastic adjusting screw was so tight fitting in it’s threads that the provided metal tool to adjust it did a lot of damage when adjusting, especially when performing the adjustment with it installed inside the nozzle. During testing, to adjust FPS, I had to disassembly the whole damn bolt to take the valve out then very carefully screw in/out to prevent further stripping, which was a major pain in the ass. 

Secondly, with the valve at its maximum setting I got to 1.3 joules, 102m/s with 0.25, and found that it was not consistent either. For example, with a fully gassed up mag I could get 102, then 95, then 103, then 94. Compared to the stock valve which barely has a deviation of 2m/s for me. It could be that this is because the valve was in a position where it was “too maxed out”, but for me the whole point of installing the valve was to reach the 5m minimum engagement distance limits here in Sweden (1.7j) so it’s not fit for my requirements.  

But there is someone here who uses the valve and has good performance, so I wonder if mine is a lemon or if it’s not the right one for my barrel length? I followed the guide on jkarmy for which one to get but maybe getting a valve for a longer inner barrel in order to over-gas the system and get more joule creep would be better. 

Hey,

That may have been me. I have the 4.5 adjustable valve and have not had an issue. Have skirmished it around 5-6 times now. I have a 3.5 valve on order as I'm converting to a MK18 version, with a G&P re-inforced drop Nozzle and HAO bolt to go with that (when it all arrives).

I have not had any issue adjusting the nylon screw with the tiny screwdriver. The valve for me is also not even close to max open. It's generally arousn 1/3rd at most.

Here's a link to a previous post of mine that had a couple of photos.

Honestly I don’t get it guys. You keep buying that overpriced shit and completely ignore the easiest way. I made my own DIY npas using a set screw and the original valve and it’s consistent and easy to adjust. Also for those looking for a high FPS, with 370 barrel and the Vfc mp5 gbb nozzle I’m getting 2.6J with 0.30g and it’s also consistent but uses much more gas as it sits higher in the initial position so needs more time to close the nozzle = pushes more gas into the barrel.

4 minutes ago, jsmithski said:

Honestly I don’t get it guys. You keep buying that overpriced shit and completely ignore the easiest way. I did my own DIY npas using a set screw and the original valve and it’s consistent and easy to adjust. Also for those looking for a high FPS, with 370 barrel and the Vfc mp5 gbb nozzle I’m getting 2.6J with 0.30g and it’s also consistent but uses much more gas as it sits higher in the initial position so needs more time to close the nozzle = pushes more gas into the barrel.

You do have a very good point here... Maybe our expectations are too high and the simple approach is better. The valve is less than £10 from eagle6 so maybe this is the way to go... Can you show us some pics of the mod if you don't mind?

• Supporters

Silly question time!

am I correct in saying that I absolutely have to remove the barrel to access the hop unit?

and I need the Laylax ngrs barrel nut tool?? (To do it properly.... I am a engineer... correct tool for correct job etc)

1 hour ago, Cat182 said:

Hi all 

New to gbbrs 

just bought an MTR 16

I've emails sixg for the brass nub just waiting to hear back 

I've got tan modify buckings 

Anything else I need or should do 

Cheers 

Nope, that's all..... just don't use crappy bb's! Enjoy the gun when lockdown finishes....

1 hour ago, sp00n said:

Silly question time!

am I correct in saying that I absolutely have to remove the barrel to access the hop unit?

and I need the Laylax ngrs barrel nut tool?? (To do it properly.... I am a engineer... correct tool for correct job etc)

Yes, that is correct, you have to remove the barrel to access the hop unit.... it's not like a next gen recoil where you simply slide the upper receiver off... yes it really sucks!

And yes, get the proper wrench... the Laylax one....  

5 hours ago, AlphaBear said:

You do have a very good point here... Maybe our expectations are too high and the simple approach is better. The valve is less than £10 from eagle6 so maybe this is the way to go... Can you show us some pics of the mod if you don't mind?

Sure. You just drill and thread the valve for m4 set screw. It works as any other npas. Ideally the screw shout be flat not spiked but that’s not a big deal. Anyway, this works but can only decrease FPS. If you want more FPS you need a different valve (like the vfc mp5 one) or use a longer valve spring with the mws valve (around 50% longer).

image.jpg

image.jpg

10 hours ago, Arassuil said:

Hey,

That may have been me. I have the 4.5 adjustable valve and have not had an issue. Have skirmished it around 5-6 times now. I have a 3.5 valve on order as I'm converting to a MK18 version, with a G&P re-inforced drop Nozzle and HAO bolt to go with that (when it all arrives).

I have not had any issue adjusting the nylon screw with the tiny screwdriver. The valve for me is also not even close to max open. It's generally arousn 1/3rd at most.

Huh, I see! I'm not sure why I had such bad results from mine. I think I will try to pick up one of those HAO Ecoline bolts and some aftermarket nozzle set to install the valve into, and give it another try.

Was there any reasoning as to why you bought the 4.5 valve? Inner barrel length?

EDIT: I just realised you already said above in the post you linked that your barrel is 370mm. Mine is around 270mm so the 3.5 valve is apparently the correct one. I'd like to try this valve again though, since your results with it is very consistent.

Edited by ajumma

11 hours ago, AlphaBear said:

So simple! Thank you for that... 

I'll try that, I take it by threading it you mean just drill a 3.5mm hole and wind it in slow and careful?

Cheers

3 hours ago, Wild Weasel said:

I'll try that, I take it by threading it you mean just drill a 3.5mm hole and wind it in slow and careful?

Cheers

Well, I drilled using 3.3mm bit and then used a proper threading tool. But it’s plastic so theoretically you can just force screw it in.

1 hour ago, rocketdogbert said:

Another MWS green gas (or HPA if you want) drum mag waiting for its happy new owner to social distance collect later 😎

7067D818-63C9-4F20-B9FA-2A62702540E6.jpeg

318E3FC4-ECF5-4890-BEBE-00ED1F673F83.jpeg

How much is it?

1 hour ago, jsmithski said:

Well, I drilled using 3.3mm bit and then used a proper threading tool. But it’s plastic so theoretically you can just force screw it in.

How much is it?

£100 plus an AW drum mag and a TM stanag lol

It’s a lot of work, but I can provide details so you can have a go yourself if you like

4 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

£100 plus an AW drum mag and a TM stanag lol

It’s a lot of work, but I can provide details so you can have a go yourself if you like

Nah, was just curious however £100 just for the labor sounds expensive to me but I get that it’s not a one hour job.

3 minutes ago, jsmithski said:

Nah, was just curious however £100 just for the labor sounds expensive to me but I get that it’s not a one hour job.

It’s a whole weekend, somewhere between ten and fifteen hours work 

Nice work RDB

I think airsoft hourly rate is £0.50 according to most people, for some reason people want work done - albeit for their “toy” - because they clearly can’t do it themselves, but it’s still skilled time to do just like any trade.

Not tarring all but that’s the general consensus - fix my toy for peanuts please 😂

27 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

That’s some awesome work there @rocketdogbert!!!

Can you hpa it for use with the MWS too? 

thanks, and yes, it’s just a valve replacement

16 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Nice work RDB

I think airsoft hourly rate is £0.50 according to most people, for some reason people want work done - albeit for their “toy” - because they clearly can’t do it themselves, but it’s still skilled time to do just like any trade.

Not tarring all but that’s the general consensus - fix my toy for peanuts please 😂

17 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Nice work RDB

Thanks. For me, it’s because I’ve  built enough and I’m bored. I’ll make you one, but it will cost you.

Come to me with something I think is interesting, likely I’ll do it for nothing lol

28 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Nice work RDB

If you’re talking about me then you should know I used to produce Kriss Vector HPA Box mags. They were electric, costed $200 (where I was providing all parts including $40 gas mag) and required hours of labor. Have you ever produced anything yourself and sold to the public?

• Supporters
21 hours ago, AlphaBear said:

Nope, that's all..... just don't use crappy bb's! Enjoy the gun when lockdown finishes....

Yes, that is correct, you have to remove the barrel to access the hop unit.... it's not like a next gen recoil where you simply slide the upper receiver off... yes it really sucks!

And yes, get the proper wrench... the Laylax one....  

thanks mate 😎👍

1 hour ago, jsmithski said:

If you’re talking about me then you should know I used to produce Kriss Vector HPA Box mags. They were electric, costed $200 (where I was providing all parts including $40 gas mag) and required hours of labor. Have you ever produced anything yourself and sold to the public?

I wasn’t talking about you, just a generalisation that was relative 🙂

Me? No I’ve never made anything and sold it to the public 👍