THE TM MWS thread

Wo1f

10 hours ago, Sylithics said:

Hi guys new to this mws scene long time lurker ;) I don’t actually have a mws yet (yet is the word).. anyway I don’t play as often as I like anymore and have always fancied a gbbr but been put off by the uk weather. I’ve got a tm Mk18 ngrs that I’m currently using but feel it’s a bit dull. Yeah it’s great at range etc but there’s hardly any feedback.. ill get to the point.. 

Has anyone traded or sold there ngrs to get a mws? Any regrets at all?

It's such a subjective question that any answer is largely moot, seems like you're ultimately trying to get folks to justify whatever decision you're leaning toward... which given the thread you've asked in is likely going to have a fairly biased leaning. So, trying to be objective.

Things you'll loose:

• Mag capacity
  • Being able to use fancy speedloaders without adapters (which often don't work)
  • Being able to treat your mags like crap
  • Having mags which are less than half a kilogram each
  • A larger degree of control over shot to shot consistency in terms of FPS/Joules (depends how well maintained your NGRS is)
  • Not having to worry about weather (that's not to say I've ever found weather to be an issue, but I've definitely had some cold mornings where the drive is spent praying the MWS will run right)
  • Buying some decent batteries and that being a one off cost (assuming you look after them)
  • Easy to source parts, both stock and aftermarket, in the UK

Things you'll gain:

• More 'immersion'
  • Being able to use more RS parts (with some needing modification to varying extents)
  • Very expensive mags
  • Heavy mags (I tend to advise moving to RS pouches/load bearing when moving to GBBRs due the mag weight... may not be necessary, but I certainly don't want a kit failure knackering a £50 mag)
  • The ongoing cost of whatever you choose to power it with
  • Having to order many of the parts you want, both stock and aftermarket, from abroad

I'm sure there are more that hairs could be split over, but they feel like the big ones, it's largely 'mag centric' for me. You'll kinda have to pick your poison from there. FWIW I have both, and wouldn't want to be without either. Sometimes I just want a day of light 120 round mags, wang a battery in when I arrive on site and have at it. Sometimes I want to torture myself with 35 round mags and make up for it with a dose of GBBR ASMR. Sometimes I'll do one in the morning and swap over for the afternoon, so from my experience I'd hold onto the NGRS and just do a good ol' fashioned 'save up' for the MWS. But as I said at the top of the post... my opinion is entirely moot because I'm not you.

Thanks mate appreciate the help, I do love the immersion of the ngrs that’s why I got it in the first place but there’s nothing really behind it so to speak to when I push the bolt catch etc. But I do think your right, I’ll try and save up for a mws and keep my ngrs. 

thanks again 👌

https://www.opticsplanet.com/vism-barrel-nut-wrench-for-m-p-15-22-22lr.html

Sorry folks I know this has been covered but can somebody confirm this is suitable to remove the barrel nut on a Mk 18 please?

EDIT : just noticed that is not shipping to the United Kingdom ( asking for a mate)

Any suggestions for one that we can get hold of quicker in the uk please?

Edited by Wild Weasel
Edit - no shipping to the UK

15 hours ago, Sylithics said:

Hi guys new to this mws scene long time lurker ;) I don’t actually have a mws yet (yet is the word).. anyway I don’t play as often as I like anymore and have always fancied a gbbr but been put off by the uk weather. I’ve got a tm Mk18 ngrs that I’m currently using but feel it’s a bit dull. Yeah it’s great at range etc but there’s hardly any feedback.. ill get to the point.. 

Has anyone traded or sold there ngrs to get a mws? Any regrets at all?

cheers again 

love the posts and pics btw folks makes me want one even more haha 

GBBR have a role and a realism aspect, but a well tuned AEG will be beat them in every way. Except in super heavy rain, where electrics do not fair very well. 

GBBR's have a cool realism aspect you will not get on all but the very highest end GBLS M4. Which cost around 3-4 times more than an MWS. Even then, the GBBR has the realism edge and a nicer trigger. 

But you will have to deal with gas temps, purging mags, higher maintenance and much lower ammo counts. All while carrying mags, which weigh a lot more and are relatively fragile compared to an AEG Midcap. 

I am still yet to be won over by my MWS, which I hope will happen by turning it into a 1.88J DMR running 0.45s 

I want to love it, but i would rather win

Edited by Groot

Top tip from the weekend playing CQB at Gloucester prison - take a pistol sized speedloader full of BBs out with you and you have effectively doubled the number of mags you have for only a few grams extra! Easy to top up the mags on the walk to the respawn :) TBH one in the gun and two spare on the chest rig would have been plenty. It is amazing how far 35rds can go when you make each one count.

I keep hearing about extra maintenance that GBBRs take. I timed my post game clean up (ignoring cleaning the barrel as AEGs need that too) and it was about 7mins. Much less faff than storage charging LiPos then recharging before the game!

6 hours ago, SSPKali said:

Top tip from the weekend playing CQB at Gloucester prison - take a pistol sized speedloader full of BBs out with you and you have effectively doubled the number of mags you have for only a few grams extra! Easy to top up the mags on the walk to the respawn :) TBH one in the gun and two spare on the chest rig would have been plenty. It is amazing how far 35rds can go when you make each one count.

I keep hearing about extra maintenance that GBBRs take. I timed my post game clean up (ignoring cleaning the barrel as AEGs need that too) and it was about 7mins. Much less faff than storage charging LiPos then recharging before the game!

Oooooh I've always wondered what prison life was like 😁. It's a site which is for sure on my to-do list....  Looks like an epic place to play too...

I only use 3 mags myself with the TM speed loader in my front pouch I can reload mags very fast.

In an emergency, I have my pistol with one magazine if I need to but that rarely happens and topping up mages with gas and ammo pretty fast processor me.

Once I get HPA it be even better with no gas refill and good in any weather 😁

5 minutes ago, GothicGhost said:

I only use 3 mags myself with the TM speed loader in my front pouch I can reload mags very fast.

In an emergency, I have my pistol with one magazine if I need to but that rarely happens and topping up mages with gas and ammo pretty fast processor me.

Once I get HPA it be even better with no gas refill and good in any weather 😁

Aye, it'll be so much easier replacing gas refills with...

• Carrying a heavy tank on your back
  • Having to disconnect and reconnect a line everytime you reload (or having a drum mag made up, which will just be a significant weight increase)
  • Reducing have easy the RIF is to manipulate because you're tethered to it
  • Having to get your tank filled up
  • Doing maintenance on your HPA equipment to keep it airtight and safe
  • Doing additional maintenance on everything because the air is so dry

Yup, a real time saver and increase in convenience 👀. The beneft of HPA is consistency and that's about it, outside of that you're making your life harder versus running it as a regular GBBR.

Edited by alxndrhll

31 minutes ago, GothicGhost said:

I would rather have the consistency, especially in the colder months.

Also HPA would be used for my pistols and VSR later 😁

Cough AEG Cough 

3 hours ago, GothicGhost said:

I would rather have the consistency, especially in the colder months.

Also HPA would be used for my pistols and VSR later 😁

You’re more than welcome to justify your choice as much as you wish, I just wanted to highlight that you’re making a claim that HPA is going to improve something that it isn’t. I’d strongly recommend you do some proper research and weigh up the positives and negatives. I’m not intending to entirely come across as a prick here (while fully aware I am), but given you’re statement in your previous post it leaps out to me that you perhaps don’t know exactly what running a RIF on HPA entails.

I dare say you’re far more worried about the cold weather than you should be, but it seems you’ve got your mind set on it so I won’t waste any further breath.

My final piece of advice being, once you’ve tarnished those poor mags with HPA taps I’d probably avoid putting photos of them in here. Lest you be bombarded with ‘Careful Nows’ and burn the witch gifs… and that’s assuming the folks decide to keep it civil 👀. As always, you do you, but it’s probably for the best that you know what to expect.

Edited by alxndrhll

2 minutes ago, Groot said:

Careful now... It is HPA month 
image.png.34da009b48d0f72163a4568f57b0e1bc.png

Have seen you try the same joke to no avail a few times now bud, I’m afraid it’s not catching on… mainly because it’s not funny in the slightest.

5 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

Have seen you try the same joke to no avail a few times now bud, I’m afraid it’s not catching on… mainly because it’s not funny in the slightest.

image.thumb.png.71c1dc0ffb82067860211671ab87e6de.png

Just realized why I actually bought the MWS in the first place: This Thread. A really informative platform reminiscent of the KC02 Facebook group. Quick answers regarding replica problems, modding, parts recommendation and a bit of friendly HPA bantering. 

Why did I realize that just now? Well, I tried to tap into the GBLS community as I found an affordable (!) second hand unit. But there is no community for that rif. The Facebook groups are hard to navigate. Information is lost and people seem genuinely disinterested in helping each other out. 

Edited by Hypokondrikern

HPA tapping your MWS mags when it gets really cold shouldn’t be such heresy lol. I’ve run my MWS at 3-4°C on Coleman propane with fairly good results, but I was semi only and purposely firing more sparingly that usual. I tried running it at -1°C with black gas and it was not useable at all, although at that time I didn’t have Coleman propane and had to use Nuprol 4.0.

Given that hotter gas is kind of pricey compared to something like abbey ultraair (£5 a can in the UK), and if you already have hpa taps lying about, I don’t see a problem with tapping the mags for a couple games. It’ll be way cheaper (or free if you have a bicycle pump/refill station), and you’ll get perfect consistency deep into the negative temps.

15 minutes ago, ajumma said:

HPA tapping your MWS mags when it gets really cold shouldn’t be such heresy lol. I’ve run my MWS at 3-4°C on Coleman propane with fairly good results, but I was semi only and purposely firing more sparingly that usual. I tried running it at -1°C with black gas and it was not useable at all, although at that time I didn’t have Coleman propane and had to use Nuprol 4.0.

Given that hotter gas is kind of pricey compared to something like abbey ultraair (£5 a can in the UK), and if you already have hpa taps lying about, I don’t see a problem with tapping the mags for a couple games. It’ll be way cheaper (or free if you have a bicycle pump/refill station), and you’ll get perfect consistency deep into the negative temps.

As someone that used primarily HPA with an engine rather than tapping for the 2/3 years ahead of the various lockdowns happening I'll never understand how people skirmish with tapped RIFs. One of the biggest reason for picking up a GBBR and dealing with the minor inconveniences (some of which are blown way out of proportion/consideration) is the added element of realism leading to further 'immersion'. The two biggest contributing factors to that increased realism because recoil/feedback and reloads. The moment you tether it to yourself, and add disconnect line at the start of a reload and reconnect line at the end of a reload you're taking what is largely considered the biggest disadvantage of running a GBBR (that being mag capacity) and exacerbating it by making reloads harder. Alongside that you're also making reloads decidedly less realistic... and that's before considering the fact you have a droopy line by your side the entire time.

But yeah, I'm not sure I'd say it lands in full on heresy... but it is entirely counter to the reason many choose to run a GBBR in the first place, hence why it's meet with raised eyebrows and pitchforks.

2 hours ago, alxndrhll said:

As someone that used primarily HPA with an engine rather than tapping for the 2/3 years ahead of the various lockdowns happening I'll never understand how people skirmish with tapped RIFs. One of the biggest reason for picking up a GBBR and dealing with the minor inconveniences (some of which are blown way out of proportion/consideration) is the added element of realism leading to further 'immersion'. The two biggest contributing factors to that increased realism because recoil/feedback and reloads. The moment you tether it to yourself, and add disconnect line at the start of a reload and reconnect line at the end of a reload you're taking what is largely considered the biggest disadvantage of running a GBBR (that being mag capacity) and exacerbating it by making reloads harder. Alongside that you're also making reloads decidedly less realistic... and that's before considering the fact you have a droopy line by your side the entire time.

But yeah, I'm not sure I'd say it lands in full on heresy... but it is entirely counter to the reason many choose to run a GBBR in the first place, hence why it's meet with raised eyebrows and pitchforks.

I mean don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you on the negatives here. Apparently Gunsmodify will make CO2 (Devil Hunter maybe?) version of their PMAGs, which will be perfect for when there's temperatures low enough that green gas/propane completely fails.

Tapping your GBBR mags should only really be an absolute worst case scenario/last resort situation.

My MWS was completely unusable with black gas at -1°C. If I had to decide between being not being able to play at all vs spending 3 minutes tapping mags and dealing with a line temporarily, I would rather play and use the taps, especially if I already had the taps and the HPA setup. This also doesn't take into consideration that in Sweden the price of Nuprol 4.0 was more than double that of regular ol' green gas, meaning you could end up spending $30-40 in gas over the course of just one day, which is pretty steep imo. Yeah, adding disconnecting+reconnecting lines when reloading, and having to lug around a tank on your bank sucks major ass, but is it worse than not being able to play at all because your gun doesn't work?

21 minutes ago, ajumma said:

I mean don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you on the negatives here. Apparently Gunsmodify will make CO2 (Devil Hunter maybe?) version of their PMAGs, which will be perfect for when there's temperatures low enough that green gas/propane completely fails.

Tapping your GBBR mags should only really be an absolute worst case scenario/last resort situation.

My MWS was completely unusable with black gas at -1°C. If I had to decide between being not being able to play at all vs spending 3 minutes tapping mags and dealing with a line temporarily, I would rather play and use the taps, especially if I already had the taps and the HPA setup. This also doesn't take into consideration that in Sweden the price of Nuprol 4.0 was more than double that of regular ol' green gas, meaning you could end up spending $30-40 in gas over the course of just one day, which is pretty steep imo. Yeah, adding disconnecting+reconnecting lines when reloading, and having to lug around a tank on your bank sucks major ass, but is it worse than not being able to play at all because your gun doesn't work?

It's hard for me to be able to answer that entirely loaded question honestly because that's simply not a temperature we're likely to encounter over here in the near future (assuming the various gradual bullshit going on with global weather doesn't accerate that is).

For you, already having sunk the expense of tanks, taps, a regulator and a way of filling said tanks sure it financially makes sense. For me, in the unlikely event I encounter weather conditions the MWS won't run over here, I'd rather have an AEG back up than go through the faff.

TLDR - We'll likely always have opposing opinions because you have a problem I don't have. And if i were to, I'd solve it differently.

advice please based on the latest available science. 

image.jpeg.03b0f9bd5b39fa906c8cbf7bec73719d.jpeg

Putting in one of those brass nubs and I have got a spare Maple 50 autobot.

Giving I want to build a dmr running .45s

Use that or stock rubber?

Edited by Groot

On 23/06/2021 at 17:48, alxndrhll said:

You’re more than welcome to justify your choice as much as you wish, I just wanted to highlight that you’re making a claim that HPA is going to improve something that it isn’t. I’d strongly recommend you do some proper research and weigh up the positives and negatives. I’m not intending to entirely come across as a prick here (while fully aware I am), but given you’re statement in your previous post it leaps out to me that you perhaps don’t know exactly what running a RIF on HPA entails.

I dare say you’re far more worried about the cold weather than you should be, but it seems you’ve got your mind set on it so I won’t waste any further breath.

My final piece of advice being, once you’ve tarnished those poor mags with HPA taps I’d probably avoid putting photos of them in here. Lest you be bombarded with ‘Careful Nows’ and burn the witch gifs… and that’s assuming the folks decide to keep it civil 👀. As always, you do you, but it’s probably for the best that you know what to expect.

I do understand the negatives, but I've always wanted a HPA setup not just for mws, I don't mind the tether or the tank.

I guess I need to try it and see how I get on with it.

Thanks 😁

3 hours ago, GothicGhost said:

I do understand the negatives, but I've always wanted a HPA setup not just for mws, I don't mind the tether or the tank.

I guess I need to try it and see how I get on with it.

Thanks 😁

Like I said, there is a use case here where it is too cold for any kind of propane based gas and you really want to use your MWS, HPA is the only option 😂

It’ll be clunky to operate but you’ll get an awesome and consistent fps even in the coldest environments.  

On 22/06/2021 at 08:35, Wild Weasel said:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/vism-barrel-nut-wrench-for-m-p-15-22-22lr.html

Sorry folks I know this has been covered but can somebody confirm this is suitable to remove the barrel nut on a Mk 18 please?

EDIT : just noticed that is not shipping to the United Kingdom ( asking for a mate)

Any suggestions for one that we can get hold of quicker in the uk please?

I know from experience that this effective at removing the Mk18 barrel nut. https://www.brownells.co.uk/MP-15-22-BARREL-NUT-WRENCH-TACTICOOL22-100015709. Just need to give it a few taps with a hammer to get it seated, but I've removed 2 Mk18 rails with it (with a generous amount of heat).