THE TM MWS thread

Wo1f

1 hour ago, Captain Darling said:

Sad to hear you’re not getting on with the MWS experience.

As an ex PTW fanboy myself, I’m finding the overall reliability of the MWS platform very refreshing.  I enjoy maintaining and tinkering with the gun, and it’s never let me down in a game, which I found was a major issue with my PTW’s, which I ran for about 10 years. 

I got sick of having to send them off to mysterious gurus for months at a time, to have various weak design flaws rectified at hundreds of pounds of cost.  Worn sector gears, faulty motors, chopped bb’s, misfeeding magazines, catastrophic failure in very wet conditions, and a general lack of feedback from firing the PTW are all things that are thankfully long behind me know. They just got in the way of me enjoying skirmishes in the end.

With a light bit of fettling, and good maintenance I’m glad to say neither my MWS or MP7 have ever failed to fire, and shoot accurately absolutely miles.  Yes the mags are real capacity and realistically heavy, but I’ve completely got used to that, and I’m getting as many kills as I usually got, just with much more satisfaction of having bettered my hi-cap hose, sewing machine wielding opponents.

Difference is my 2008 PTW has had one motor rewind 2 weeks after getting it. Over the last 13 years, I’ve serviced it twice and replaced the hop twice.  Faultless. 
Anyone who knows me, will tell you I am not light on the trigger. So I would be fairly confident in saying my PTW is one of the most abused in the UK. Probably around 4K of bbs/3 x 11.1 Lipos ish a game day. 
Never missed a beat but could now probably now do with a new motor, as it’s not returning to the same start point. Not an issue because the cylinder forces it, but I can feel the additional vibration through the grip.

The only thing I would need to send the ptw away for, would be a motor rewind. Servicing and electric replacement is easier than on a normal AEG

Edited by Groot

1 minute ago, Groot said:

Probably around 4K of bbs/3 x 11.1 Lipos ish a game day.

The plot thickens, I tend to go through somewhere between 800-1000 rounds on a game day (depending on the wheres and whys of the site) and I found the 35 round mags hard to adjust to... so suffice to say if you're regularly slinging 4 times that on your average day I dread to think how 'inconvenient' the platforms limitations would appear. FWIW I ended up selling my first MWS, immediately regretted it and recently picked up another (largely because I wasn't in a rush because playing wasn't on the cards, I'd have likely got another sooner had it been).

The second time around I know it's more going to be my 'fun gnu', at least to start with. I still land on AEGs/RIFs that are powered by electricity (truthfully I've never understood why it's insisted that PTWs are referenced to separately, they're AEGs in my eyes... but that's for another time/place) are the best RIFs for skirmishing with on an overall balance of pros/cons... and yes that's including a few years using HPA, just not worth the faff for me in the end. But having now given GBBRs a fair shake I imagine I'll always have at least one in my collection, and the MWS seems as good as any for my needs as and when the time comes that I want to use it.

6 hours ago, Groot said:

Difference is my 2008 PTW has had one motor rewind 2 weeks after getting it. Over the last 13 years, I’ve serviced it twice and replaced the hop twice.  Faultless. 
Anyone who knows me, will tell you I am not light on the trigger. So I would be fairly confident in saying my PTW is one of the most abused in the UK. Probably around 4K of bbs/3 x 11.1 Lipos ish a game day. 
Never missed a beat but could now probably now do with a new motor, as it’s not returning to the same start point. Not an issue because the cylinder forces it, but I can feel the additional vibration through the grip.

The only thing I would need to send the ptw away for, would be a motor rewind. Servicing and electric replacement is easier than on a normal AEG

Sounds like you’ve had good luck with that. I don’t know if I was doing something wrong, but I ended up not trusting my PTW.  Dropping it in a lake in Sweden or crawling around in torrential rain at Copehill may not have helped either. 

I’m over the moon to be rid of finicky, over complex electronic toy guns.  I think it was my 15 or so mags all slowly developing feeding faults that put the final nail in its coffin.  I understand how to take these and AEG’s a part to fix, I just resent doing it and find it no fun.

I really like the look of the new Infinity, but I suspect I’d get bored pretty quickly. 

My PTW shoots like a bloody laser...It's a 2008 model with full Tac mods and I have 10 genuine EMAGS which Tac replaced the innards with original Systema ones. I cannot fault the platform. It just works each and every time. Ok the followers in the mags are annoying (and can get lost sometimes) but they are needed to operate the bolt stop.... but hey that was cutting edge back in the day. What do I like about it, it's reliable...! There you go I've said it! And best of all I can change the power from 330 to 450fps within a matter of minutes. It's only ever let me down once and that's when the motor packed in and I sent it to Tac to get rewound. 

Anyway, back to the topic of MWS. This weekend I zero'd the T1 to about 50m. I figured that was the best compromise distance.  I was using 0.28's and Abbey Ultra Predator gas. The temperature was about 23c and goodness me the power I was getting from the BCG felt like a missile. The recoil was phenomenal and the range equally impressive. I didn't have a chrono with me so I wasn't sure if it was shooting hot or not but that's besides the point. The MWS can take some serious welly.  And you know what? It's fun to use. You get that better immersion that's for sure. 

Edited by AlphaBear

Did a quick lunchtime test using Abbey Predator Ultra gas on 0.28s. Ambient temperature was 22c/23c.  Using a fresh mag partly full and shooting off 30 rounds the high was 314fps (1.28 joules and the low 299fps (1.16 joules). For 0.28’s the acceptable power is 295fps. 

I’ll say it again... the recoil on the MWS is something else! 

P.S. Disclaimer... No Nuprol bbs were harmed and crushed intentionally under my boots during this time. Why coz I don’t have any 😂

6 hours ago, AlphaBear said:

Did a quick lunchtime test using Abbey Predator Ultra gas on 0.28s. Ambient temperature was 22c/23c.  Using a fresh mag partly full and shooting off 30 rounds the high was 314fps (1.28 joules and the low 299fps (1.16 joules). For 0.28’s the acceptable power is 295fps. 

I’ll say it again... the recoil on the MWS is something else! 

P.S. Disclaimer... No Nuprol bbs were harmed and crushed intentionally under my boots during this time. Why coz I don’t have any 😂

Just tested mine on ASG Ultrair and 0.32g BBs and the stock TM bolt and nozzle kit. Shed has been warm today so all at about 23-25deg.

Running a bit hot at 295fps with stock TM parts (should be a limit of 276fps!) DP lightweight bolt and nozzle / valve combo was doing similar FPS.

Swapped out to AG v2 nozzle (still the TM bolt) and got it shooting a nice consistent 262fps ish even with a fresh warm mag and gas. Plenty of option to dial up or down if needed.

Zeroed in the new Vortex Crossfire2 red dot with Unity clone mount as the old one is now living on the MP5 AEG (Blasphemy!) Although I had forgotten how much fun a GBBR was...probably run it on the 20th at UCAP VENDETTA.

Edited by SSPKali

Got 1.3J at Zmart CQB with my MWS the other day. was a warm evening game and the mags had been warming up. Used .28 tracers on abbey ultra, Was sad and had to downgrade to 144a. but is still good tbh

Speaking of what Gunbod said. I'm around 1.3J running .32 and green gas. Is there a good NPAS to use or is the angrygun enhanced nozzle with the inbuilt adjustable nozzle a good option to lower my FPS?

1 minute ago, Recoil_ said:

Speaking of what Gunbod said. I'm around 1.3J running .32 and green gas. Is there a good NPAS to use or is the angrygun enhanced nozzle with the inbuilt adjustable nozzle a good option to lower my FPS?

Bloody hell!! 1.3j on green gas? You sure no one accidentally painted a red can green? What brand of green are you running?

4 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

Bloody hell!! 1.3j on green gas? You sure no one accidentally painted a red can green? What brand of green are you running?

I mean it's basically all technically "Green Gas" but yeah Abbey has the red and other colour bottles. Still green gas though. I was so shocked that with all stock parts, besides nub, it was over the limit but I guess an indoor site at about 20+ degrees will do that

8 minutes ago, Recoil_ said:

Depends what temp you were in. If this was a one off on a hot day. Try using Abbey 144a summer gas. If that is all standard parts you shouldn't be getting that high FPS unless weather is quite warm.

4 minutes ago, gunbod007 said:

I mean it's basically all technically "Green Gas" but yeah Abbey has the red and other colour bottles. Still green gas though. I was so shocked that with all stock parts, besides nub, it was over the limit but I guess an indoor site at about 20+ degrees will do that

Depends what temp you were in. If this was a one off on a hot day. Try using Abbey 144a summer gas. If that is all standard parts you shouldn't be getting that high FPS unless weather is quite warm.

Yes, the Abbey Predator Ultra is green gas but with more accelerant in it to give it extra welly. I forgot how powerful the gas was in sub 20c temperature. The Abbey green bottle gas (144a) shouldn't take it over the joules limit though as you said... I'll take some shots with 144a tomorrow if I have the time and see what the joules output is... It's gonna be circa 23c tomorrow in my neck of the woods so that will be a good measure of what summer gas can do. I won't leave the mag in the sun though as that's surely asking for trouble lol

24 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

Nuprol 2.0, just changed the hop rubber that’s all. Shot it this afternoon and the first few shots were 1.34J before after 5-6 shots in quick succession, it dropped to below 1.14J

20 minutes ago, gunbod007 said:

And the temp was as it was today, ~23-24 degrees. Mags were in my car in the shade as I drove to a shop to use their range

37 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

Yes, the Abbey Predator Ultra is green gas but with more accelerant in it to give it extra welly. I forgot how powerful the gas was in sub 20c temperature. The Abbey green bottle gas (144a) shouldn't take it over the joules limit though as you said... I'll take some shots with 144a tomorrow if I have the time and see what the joules output is... It's gonna be circa 23c tomorrow in my neck of the woods so that will be a good measure of what summer gas can do. I won't leave the mag in the sun though as that's surely asking for trouble lol

While aware it's splitting hairs it might be information that's useful to some, but it's nothing to do with 'accelerant'. Taking the 3 main Abbey gasses as an example 144a and Ultra Predator are essentially the exact same gas, it's just the pressure in the can is higher in Ultra Pred. If memory serves 'Brut Sniper gas' (or whatever that's branded these days) is different in terms of what's in it because it's got no lube in it so it's essentially just dry propane (maybe perfumed?), but the increase in power is all down to the pressure it's at in the can.

Generally speaking the only thing that'll cause alterations in how powerful the various brands of green gas is, is the pressure in the can. Much the same reason as to why the FPS/joules goes up as the mags get hotter... and conversely goes down when colder. Heat makes the pressure go up, cold makes the pressure go down.

On 05/06/2021 at 13:07, RMDavis said:

Carried out some changes to my 10.3" URGI-1 over the last few weeks. Some because I simply fancied a change but others because I have taken some things I like from my MRE build and wanted to transfer them onto this much modern rifle.

I was going to swap out the front end entirely and build up an 11.5" barrel complete with a Geissele MK4 rail. 

But I just love the compactness of the 10.3" and I know its a very common rail in the safe zone, but the URGI is just fantastic and it would take something pretty special to beat it IMO, in terms of its slim profile and ergonomics. 

So the 4 prong SF Flash Hider has gone in favour for a SF closed-tine. Think of it like a modern day bird cage flash hider. (Both made by Angry Gun)

The Magpul hand stop has been replaced with a TrueNorth Concepts Handstop-K a much smaller profile and takes advantage of the slim design of the urgi rail.

Having really missed the ambi fire selector fitted to my MRE I wanted the same on the urgi albeit a little more modern. So enter the PTS Radian Talon ambi selector, which is very well made and offers solid/precise manipulation. 

I was so impressed with the PTS fire selector I coupled it with their licensed version of the Radian Raptor-LT charging handle.

I love the vertical shooting position of the Magpul MOE K2 Pistol Grip, but prefer the rubber grip that the Hogue offers on my MRE. Luckily Magpul make the 'K2+' which is an overmolded grip with rubber, giving me the best of both worlds. 

I've now fitted a Angry Gun Milspec buffer tube as it has worked flawlessly on my MRE and takes out any slop with genuine stocks. This has been followed with a SixG HSB to improve single shot performance, I've tested it and it works very well indeed. Looking forward to testing it further in game!

Lastly as much as I'm a fan of the small form factor of the Magpul MOE SL-K, I just miss shouldering a rifle with a CTR fitted. Let's be honest that stock suits any build even if its been around for a while now!

A Magpul enhanced magazine release, and Magpul ODG magazine pulls are also on route...

Thanks for reading my update, another post from a geardo/geek! 

20210605_121344.jpg

20210605_121302.jpg

20210605_121155.jpg

20210605_121136.jpg

Love your build, mate. Agree on many of your choices and am now looking out for a PTS ambi switch. where did you find yours, please? and CTR stocks just rock, whatever the weather :)

1 hour ago, camden said:

Love your build, mate. Agree on many of your choices and am now looking out for a PTS ambi switch. where did you find yours, please? and CTR stocks just rock, whatever the weather :)

Thanks bud! 😁

I picked my switch up from Fire Support, but just checked and they are now out of stock. So is Land Warrior unfortunately...

You could setup stock reminders or you can order directly from PTS if you don't mind ordering overseas?

Looking for a more DMR style stock.

Would a fixed stock fit on MWS or do need different buffer tube and recoil spring set?

Moe carbine fixed stock

https://www.powair6.com/en/stock/12793-magpul-moe-fixed-carbine-stock-mil-spec-de.html

Moe rilfe fixed stock

https://www.opticsplanet.com/v/mag404-fde-magpul-industries-moe-rifle-stock.html

Screenshot_1.png.489eccd005fd83d5e4894fd8c33ce02e.png

I like the rifle one better if I can fit it.

Thanks for any advice.

18 hours ago, AlphaBear said:

How did the 144a go?

I'm back after my post almost 5 months ago when I said I'd be buying a TM MWS... well I got one, finally managed to use it on the field, love it, range isn't what I expected running .28s on green gas and I hated only carrying 175 rounds in woodlands so only used it for 1 game, probably going to stick to using it indoors only, also managed to pick up a Magul MOE stock clone at a car boot sale for £2 which means I don't need the ugly OEM one anymore so that's a good start!

I'm looking to change the handguard, the front post upsets me, I did look through the first 15 pages of this thread and some of the more recent ones but couldn't really see what I was looking for, I gather I need an adapter of sorts? Tbh, I'm happy with the current rail length, a bit longer would be good, full picatinny is the dream and preferably black, trademarks don't interest me so I'm not looking for a £90 rail, anyone have a link to all the stuff I'd need or even just the names or products that work together?

Side note, why are rear sling mounts so expensive..?

Anyone have any experience with the DanielDefense pistol grips? Does the integrated trigger guard on the grip work with the MWS receiver profile?

Edited by Softcore

Hive mind assemble,

After finally managing to remove the rail system and barrel from my mtr I'm considering a new, less janky looking front end. I have a BCM type outer barrel, looking at 13" and up handguards. Ive got a built up 9inch BCM set up for cqb, what I need/want is a decent setup for woodland that has decent inner barrel length (unlike the stock set up) and will provide relative consistency and accuracy. Ideally short dotted and capable of .28s.

Suggestions for inner barrel accepted. Im hoping to use a stock marui rubber with super six g nub and at the moment I am deeply unimpressed with the modify tan rubbers. Both attempts Ive made to use them have failed hard.

Also any suggestions for a longer preferably m-lok front end as the BCM ones seem to top out at 12" and I'm not a fan of marui's made up one?

On 09/06/2021 at 17:35, Recoil_ said:

How did the 144a go?

First shot 337fps then going down about 1 fps per shot there after. Stabilised at 327 FPS. Im gonna add Dave’s HSB and that will bump up the FPS by 5fps. So it’s looking very promising. I’ll report back on Sunday when it’s gonna be 26c. 

5 hours ago, hunter511 said:

Hive mind assemble,

After finally managing to remove the rail system and barrel from my mtr I'm considering a new, less janky looking front end. I have a BCM type outer barrel, looking at 13" and up handguards. Ive got a built up 9inch BCM set up for cqb, what I need/want is a decent setup for woodland that has decent inner barrel length (unlike the stock set up) and will provide relative consistency and accuracy. Ideally short dotted and capable of .28s.

Suggestions for inner barrel accepted. Im hoping to use a stock marui rubber with super six g nub and at the moment I am deeply unimpressed with the modify tan rubbers. Both attempts Ive made to use them have failed hard.

Also any suggestions for a longer preferably m-lok front end as the BCM ones seem to top out at 12" and I'm not a fan of marui's made up one?

I’m currently getting good range on an orange Modify X.  I found the blue got chewed up pretty quickly, so I’m seeing how I get on with a harder compound.