THE TM MWS thread

Wo1f

24 minutes ago, Hypokondrikern said:

Just one thought around MWS vs HPA rifles. Before I found this forum and had bought my second hand MWS, I had just sold my KC02 and was on the lookout for a new primary. I was browsing and testing different HPA and AEG systems but always came to the same conclusion: my gun, my secondary will always run on gas so why not have the primary rifle in the same system for ease of maintenance and logistics. This has held up until this date. Sure, I’m teased to leave the MWS for a kythera with a c02 stock or the reputable DAS GBLS. Especially for the lighter magazines and greater shot capacity without suffering too much realism. But I always fall back on the thought of having primary and secondary ( not to mention my tornado grenades ) in the same system, operated by green gas. And to be fair, these others systems if they fail in field you’ll most likely need a significant reparation not suited for the field which leaves you in the need of a backup rifle. The MWS has a wonderful trick up its sleeve, the part that is most likely to fail is the nozzle spring housed in the BCG. Carrying an extra BCG is for me like having a backup rifle. 

Anyway, I logged in to check with you guys whether the receiver, trigger box and buffer tube are worth switching out to a version in aluminum if I want to save weight? What’s the material of the OGs? Would the weight saving be significant or negligible? 

That’s actually a good idea carrying a spare BCG for that ‘just in case’ moment. And the nozzle spring is the weakest link let’s face it. 

@Hypokondrikern

The MWS itself is pretty lightweight, especially with a modern hand guard/rail.

The trigger set is proprietary ZET system, you’d be a fool to change it out, all made of steel, and superbly reliable.

The buffer tube and receiver are also high quality aluminium, and the receiver is cerakote’d.

6 hours ago, quango2k said:

Anyone got any advise to make the trigger less...erm....poo? 

Other than buying a completely different trigger box..

I pulled the trigger mech apart, installed a Guns modify trigger, but sanded down the sides and polished them. Polished the two box halfs. Installed a Dytac spring set. Now I have a decent trigger. Its still a tad gritty. But resets nicely. Its mainly due to the Marui trigger box.

I also find aerosol silicone lube works best with the trigger box. As its rather thin and runny.

5 hours ago, Davegolf said:

@Hypokondrikern

The MWS itself is pretty lightweight, especially with a modern hand guard/rail.

The trigger set is proprietary ZET system, you’d be a fool to change it out, all made of steel, and superbly reliable.

The buffer tube and receiver are also high quality aluminium, and the receiver is cerakote’d.

Those sears are some kind of metal coated with silver something that scratches easily. I would not call it steel though.

I honestly don't understand the whole 'why you need to change the trigger box parts' to make the trigger more efficient. To me it's fine the way it is... I've seen Badabing mention it, Redwolf and a few others but I really don't get it.... I pull the trigger, it fires.... I release my finger.. I pull the trigger again and so on... I mean what am I missing here? The so called reset? It's a GBBR not a NGRS with a Gate Titan... Maybe I'm being totally blonde here (no offence to any blondies) but what gives.... and no I'm not asking for a friend 😂

3 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

I honestly don't understand the whole 'why you need to change the trigger box parts' to make the trigger more efficient. To me it's fine the way it is... I've seen Badabing mention it, Redwolf and a few others but I really don't get it.... I pull the trigger, it fires.... I release my finger.. I pull the trigger again and so on... I mean what am I missing here? The so called reset? It's a GBBR not a NGRS with a Gate Titan... Maybe I'm being totally blonde here (no offence to any blondies) but what gives.... and no I'm not asking for a friend 😂

You got that wrong. No AEG has a realistic trigger, only gbbrs. If you ever fired a RS AR15 then you would feel the difference. Of course mws is a toy and I’m not expecting it to be like the RS but it’s true that GHK has a more snappy trigger. Overall imho mws trigger is just fine.

47 minutes ago, jsmithski said:

You got that wrong. No AEG has a realistic trigger, only gbbrs. If you ever fired a RS AR15 then you would feel the difference. Of course mws is a toy and I’m not expecting it to be like the RS but it’s true that GHK has a more snappy trigger. Overall imho mws trigger is just fine.

No I know an AEG doesn’t have a realistic trigger. I wasn’t trying to say that I was merely pointing out my recoil has a hairline trigger. Granted I’ve never fired a real AR let alone a real gun which is why I don’t get the fuss about trigger. To me it seems fine. Normal almost. I guess coz I don’t have a reference to compare it to it’s difficult for me to judge. Am I making sense or taking complete rubbish? 

15 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

No I know an AEG doesn’t have a realistic trigger. I wasn’t trying to say that I was merely pointing out my recoil has a hairline trigger. Granted I’ve never fired a real AR let alone a real gun which is why I don’t get the fuss about trigger. To me it seems fine. Normal almost. I guess coz I don’t have a reference to compare it to it’s difficult for me to judge. Am I making sense or taking complete rubbish? 

Humble brag, fanciest trigger I've pulled is a RS L85 variant. Can't remember if it was any good 

24 minutes ago, gunbod007 said:

Humble brag, fanciest trigger I've pulled is a RS L85 variant. Can't remember if it was any good 

Because those things you start to feel after some time. I’m used to the mws trigger already so don’t complain. The rifle is fine ;)

The MWS trigger function and reliability is perfect.

However it is a bit mushy, and the wall/reset are weak and slightly variable.

This can be improved upon as mentioned recently and historically in this thread.

I replaced my trigger internals as the previous owner had filled it full of sand and never lubed it :( WiiTech internals are very well finished and high quality materials. Graphite lock lube FTW.

The stock trigger as new is ok, probably on a par with the L119A1 I had a play with one time although my MWS jams less 😉

My usual go-to comparison for triggers is the Weihrach Rekord unit in HW air rifles, and the Sandwell Field Sports tuned one the pinnacle.

TL;DR until it breaks / wears out leave it be.

Speaking of triggers. Anyone got any advice on making this part more comfortable. I let any weight on and its digging in to my finger. Any trigger guards that cover it up or am I just gonna suck it up and buy some gloves. 

IMG_1119.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

You actually do have a point..... With a magpul grip you no longer have that finger rest and even I with my manly hands find it a tad uncomfortable... but a pair of tactical mitts sorts it out... Alternatively a bit of Sugru will do it... 

^ Thanks

Couple of other things. Gonna run a new stock. Thinking Magpul CTR but I am keeping the front sight post and M4A1 hanguard so no MK18 for me. I guess kinda hybrid. Might look good, might look horrible. I need mil spec or commercial? 

Gonna mount a rear sling mount on the buffer tube. Don't really like running it off the stock. I want something thats not gonna snap like pot metal obviously. 

Is it a bitch to remove the buffer tube and install a rear plate sling mount. Seems like if you get this wrong could screw up the distance required for the recoil spring also I Gott buy some proprietary castle nut screw thing?

These are vaguely answered elsewhere in the forum but thought it would be handy having it all here.

I run a mil spec CTR on mine....the friction lock engages nicely too.

Rear sling mount > well its whatever you fancy really. Mine has the Marui CQBR/MK18 sling plate. Angry gun also does the same.. You can also get QD sling plates... There really is a lot of choice. 

4 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

I run a mil spec CTR on mine....the friction lock engages nicely too.

Rear sling mount > well its whatever you fancy really. Mine has the Marui CQBR/MK18 sling plate. Angry gun also does the same.. You can also get QD sling plates... There really is a lot of choice. 

Thanks that's super helpful. CTR here I come, If I can find an FDE one.

Gonna watch the Eagle 6 video on removing the buffer tube. Little nervous to put the sling plate on but let's see.

It does look nice especially if you have the Magpul grip too. There is a little side to side movement but nothing to worry about. If you’re OCD about that then a little electrical tape on the buffer should fix it. 

6C2918C8-5EF5-4044-AA1C-EE3979FA89AF.jpeg

1 minute ago, AlphaBear said:

It does look nice especially if you have the Magpul grip too. There is a little side to side movement but nothing to worry about. If you’re OCD about that then a little electrical tape on the buffer should fix it. 

6C2918C8-5EF5-4044-AA1C-EE3979FA89AF.jpeg

very nice, they're out of stock everywhere right now. It can't wobble more than the LE stock it comes with. How did you find reattaching buffer tube after sling mount. you gotta get a certain number of twists right?

Mine's the CQB version so the sling mount was already attached. And yes you do need to twist a number of times..... it's somewhere on this thread. Here's a thought, the easiest way I guess is to mark the buffer tube with some white dots and use that as a reference when you screw the buffer back on with the sling plate... It may be trail and error but its probably takes the guess work out. Or just count the number of twists when you remove it... simple really :D

2 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

Mine's the CQB version so the sling mount was already attached. And yes you do need to twist a number of times..... it's somewhere on this thread. Here's a thought, the easiest way I guess is to mark the buffer tube with some white dots and use that as a reference when you screw the buffer back on with the sling plate... It may be trail and error but its probably takes the guess work out. Or just count the number of twists when you remove it... simple really :D

Yeah good idea, Now sell me that stock! 😂 haha

I could be mis-remembering but generally speaking you just get the tube screwed in to the point it’s flush (or as close to flush as you can get it) with the lower receiver, with the sling plate being correctly orientated. If you fit it and have issues with the bolt lock (or are using a HSB) just back it off one rotation and jobs a good ‘un.

Trial and error is fine, the only thing you can really do much damage to (assuming you’re using the right tool to loosen off the castle nut, that ideally being an armourers wrench of some description) is the small spring which keeps the part behind the trigger in check. Just be sure to remove your buffer/buffer spring before you start taking anything off.

2 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

I could be mis-remembering but generally speaking you just get the tube screwed in to the point it’s flush (or as close to flush as you can get it) with the lower receiver, with the sling plate being correctly orientated. If you fit it and have issues with the bolt lock (or are using a HSB) just back it off one rotation and jobs a good ‘un.

Trial and error is fine, the only thing you can really do much damage to (assuming you’re using the right tool to loosen off the castle nut, that ideally being an armourers wrench of some description) is the small spring which keeps the part behind the trigger in check. Just be sure to remove your buffer/buffer spring before you start taking anything off.

Nice one thanks, Yeah seen the trick with unwinding a rotation on Eagle 6 take down video. 

For my OCD might just run a QD sling direct to the CTR stock haha

Side note, no idea if their stock levels are accurate so may be worth emailing ahead of ordering but FDE CTRs seem to be in stock here.

I can’t give a person recommendation on the vendor but seems ‘legit’ enough.

Outside of that I imagine restocks of pretty much everything are a decent wait at this point given the general situation of worldwide logistics and the impact of that on production pipelines, alongside Magpul seemingly winding up for their 2021 releases.