THE TM MWS thread

Wo1f

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Wo1f said:

The mws is about the only gbbr I haven’t had a bolt lock issue with. 

If you’ve tried unscrewing the buffer to no avail, I’d consider removing and cleaning the ZET plate and the areas it makes contact with. It sounds like it’s not rising quick enough to catch the bolt when it’s rearward. 

If you have a heavier recoil buffer or spring, try that and see if it makes a difference. Should give you an indication that the ZET plate isn’t moving quick enough. 

Hmm the ZET plate (assuming you mean the large-ish silver spanner looking thing) seems to move quite freely in the gun.

@Shizbazki you could try a lightweight ZET plate. They move quicker than the standard one. If it locks when there’s not much gas it definitely seems like a speed issue. 

Saying that... do you have an aftermarket mag catch? The mags could possibly be sitting low and not lifting the plate high enough. Try firing it with the mag pressed up in the magwell.

how many whole threads are between the buffer tube and the buffer retainer button? 

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Wo1f said:

@Shizbazki you could try a lightweight ZET plate. They move quicker than the standard one. If it locks when there’s not much gas it definitely seems like a speed issue. 

Saying that... do you have an aftermarket mag catch? The mags could possibly be sitting low and not lifting the plate high enough. Try firing it with the mag pressed up in the magwell.

how many whole threads are between the buffer tube and the buffer retainer button? 

I had a third party mag catch too, tried pressing up on the mag and then reinstalled the stock mag catch. No game.

The buffer tube is about 2 threads turned out (2 top threads and 3 valley threads).

Pressing the bolt release catch (on the bottom end) and firing a single shot does lock the bolt back which leads me to believe that the bolt catch is not rising up in time to catch the bolt.

• Supporters

Ok in testing this and having stripped the gun down several times now.

I have tried:

Cleaning and regreasing the trigger mech

Tried both bolt catches (Stock and UAC)

Tried both magazine catches (Stock and UAC)

Tried pressing in and pulling out the mag with the mag locked in place

Firing in semi and full auto though sometimes on full auto it locks back

So far i am stumped as to why its not locking back

Out of curiousity i also installed a stock GHK M4 buffer and spring.

With the GHK spring and TM Buffer, no locking back

With TM Spring and GHK buffer lock back worked every single time though it does feel like theres some metal to metal contact at the fullest pull on the BCG so its not an ideal fix as i suspect at some point there's going to be too much wear and tear on the BCG.

I have cut the spring inside the TM Buffer to shorten its travel but this made no difference.

I have ordered a light weight bolt catch and see if that plays any game, hopefully it arrives tomorrow.

Sounds to me like your bolt is not travelling fully.

6 minutes ago, Shizbazki said:

Firing in semi and full auto though sometimes on full auto it locks back

With TM Spring and GHK buffer lock back worked every single time 

Look at your floating valve and or nozzle for gas leak issues, or light striking on your gas exit valves, sounds like lack of power.

• Supporters

ASG Ultair

Currently shooting in my room, around 18 to 20 C

Well I decided I'm taking the MWS to the next game I'm playing on the 10th so I'd better have a go with it to see what's what.

Out the box on green gas (with the mags tube cut) it couldn't lift 0.28 over a short distance which was a shame.

So I've taken it apart (which was easier than expected, been putting it off...) and changed the bucking for the Modfiy Tan and stuck in the GHK little metal dumbbell shaped nub I had. It's lifting 0.3 with ease now. I'm not sure how dialed on the hop is but it's doing what it should so I'm happy.

Needs a proper field test really so I'll take the MWS and a backup (G&P M249) for the game. 👍 Get sum... :lol:

1 hour ago, Shizbazki said:

ASG Ultair

Currently shooting in my room, around 18 to 20 C

Is the GHK buffer heavier or shorter? To me, it seems like the BCG is going into the stock and then coming forward again before the ZET plate can catch it.  If your catch surfaces are good, on the plate and BCG, I’d try stiffer springs/ heavier buffer. 

Have you got any duster gas to test?

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Is the GHK buffer heavier or shorter? To me, it seems like the BCG is going into the stock and then coming forward again before the ZET plate can catch it.  If your catch surfaces are good, on the plate and BCG, I’d try stiffer springs/ heavier buffer. 

Have you got any duster gas to test?

The GHK buffer i used was the light buffer with a spring on the end, namely this one: 

http://fg-airsoft.com/en/buffers-and-related/392-lightweight-buffer-for-m4-.html

I have just used Abbey Predator Gun Gas 144a and the bolt lock works perfectly every time.

FPS is down from 350 ~360 to 300FPS

@Shizbazki Definitely cycle speed by the sounds of it. 

Only other thing I can think of is have a look on the inside of the buffer tube and see if the bolt that holds the cap on hasn’t wound itself out and is stopping the buffer from going all of the way back in. I know the standard buffer tubes have the issue of the cap loosening over time. Would make sense as the spring on the FG buffer would go over the bolt, but the standard TM would hit it. You’ll need a LOOONG screwdriver though. 

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Strange - but good - even at higher FPS than you've been running the ZET usually catches. Is the spring weak under the ZET?

Which spring? the buffer spring or the ZET spring at the bottom of the trigger mech?

• Supporters

Well i'm at wits end, the buffer tube cap screw was fine.

I can only think that when i do actually use the gun outdoor, the colder temps will cause the gas to lower its pressure so the bolt lock "should" work.

I have a light weight bolt catch (spanner thingy) on the way so i'll keep you guys updated.

Otherwise ill be using my GHK M4 :P

Which does lock back.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Davegolf said:

^ He just sweared in here! Er 🤐

Yeh the spring that pushes the catch up.

Hahaha

Yeah i did stretch the magazine spring which i think is used to push the little nubbin up for the bolt catch.

The spring that attaches to the pin at the bottom the ZET mech seems to be ok, its under a lot of tension when i put the rod back in.

10 minutes ago, Shizbazki said:

Hahaha

Yeah i did stretch the magazine spring which i think is used to push the little nubbin up for the bolt catch.

The spring that attaches to the pin at the bottom the ZET mech seems to be ok, its under a lot of tension when i put the rod back in.

Where in the U.K. are you located? If you’re not far, I could have a look at it and compare it to mine 

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Miles away from me sadly. North west. 

No worries, thanks for the offer though.

Hi everyone, I'm just working on my first gas gun,  an MTR-16 and have installed a modify tan hop rubber. My gun is sitting around in bits waiting on a upgraded nub however as I've been unable to source a SixG Super Nub, and have been looking at the Laylax strike hop up arm as a possible alternative.  Has anybody tried one out?

1 minute ago, damster117 said:

Hi everyone, I'm just working on my first gas gun,  an MTR-16 and have installed a modify tan hop rubber. My gun is sitting around in bits waiting on a upgraded nub however as I've been unable to source a SixG Super Nub, and have been looking at the Laylax strike hop up arm as a possible alternative.  Has anybody tried one out?

Why cant you get a SixG ?  Just email Dave