THE TM MWS thread

Wo1f

1 minute ago, Wo1f said:

I got mine from skirmshopUK. They often refund the postage on something so small at the end of the week too. 

Be careful filing down. You don’t want to make anything rough. If you’re gonna do it, use really fine sandpaper. 

Does it have a special mound on the inside? I was fully expecting the maple leaf's to kill it with range and accuracy so was suprised that they didn't perform very well on the posts in this thread.

4 minutes ago, Katana said:

Does it have a special mound on the inside? I was fully expecting the maple leaf's to kill it with range and accuracy so was suprised that they didn't perform very well on the posts in this thread.

Nothing special that I can see. I think it’s just the material. I’ve had fantastic luck with maple leaf, but I found with my Orga barrel at least, it cuts into the tip of the contact patch. It worked great one minute, and bad the next. You may have much better success with a different barrel

2 hours ago, Wo1f said:

Nothing special that I can see. I think it’s just the material. I’ve had fantastic luck with maple leaf, but I found with my Orga barrel at least, it cuts into the tip of the contact patch. It worked great one minute, and bad the next. You may have much better success with a different barrel

I was thinking of sticking with the original barrel as the TM barrels are pretty good. Either that or an edgi/pdi barrel as replacement but I don't think I'll be doing much with the orga stuff. 

Has anyone tried the "Super" buckings by maple leaf?

K, so FINALLY my MWS is en route, should arrive tomorrow. Already I am thinking of upgrades :) and the 1st thing that I want to change is the barrel, it just itches my brain to have 12 cm of nothingness in the outer barrel, so I will go for a Prometheus/Laylax 370 cm 6.03 stainless steel beauty and I would like to kindly ask what changes can I expect ... I am planning to use .25/.28 BBs max, so probably will not change the hopup system. I assume the obvious effect will be an increase in FPS (wo1f was sayin smth about 35-40 for a 6.03 250 mm barrel ?) . How about accuracy, joule creep ? How about gas consumption ? will it go up/down ?other unforeseen consequences ? ... tnx

44 minutes ago, Katana said:

I was thinking of sticking with the original barrel as the TM barrels are pretty good. Either that or an edgi/pdi barrel as replacement but I don't think I'll be doing much with the orga stuff. 

Has anyone tried the "Super" buckings by maple leaf?

Personally I prefer the decepticon. Contact patch is larger and it has an anti-rotation lug. They perform similarly however. 

@j_brujah if you’re only ever going to run .25-.28, leave the whole gun alone other than externals and green gas mod. With a longer barrel, you’ll see a jump in FPS/joules. If you’re trying to keep it to 350fps and using sub .28 ammo, nothing you change internally will have a noticeable positive effect on performance. 

However... if you want long range performance and accuracy, or even a DMR, then barrel and bucking mods are well worth it. A barrel will give you the ‘free’ FPS boost and the bucking will allow heavier BB’s to be used. The more energy you can transfer to a heavy (.32 minimum) BB, the more range and accuracy you’ll get. 

31 minutes ago, j_brujah said:

Let's see if I get this right. Using .28s let's say, even with the longer barrel, I will see an increase in FPS but not in range/accuracy, because the BBs are too light and will just fall anyway at the same-ish distance ?

You’ll see an increase in FPS, but why would you want that? You’d probably be over the limits. Mine shot 340fps out of the box on green gas. With a longer barrel you’ll be looking at 370-390fps. You’ll get more range, but you wouldn’t be able to use it. 

From my understanding about range and accuracy, it works like this... let’s say your Mws shoots 350fps on a .20 and you fire a .28 out of it. You dial the hop up to give you the flattest trajectory and that will give you a range and accuracy reading. To get out further you either need to increase the FPS or increase the hop. (Hop is the most important. A 350fps gun set up well will shoot further than a 500fps gun if it can’t apply a good amount of hop.) so you increase the hop pressure and your .28 BB curves up to the moon, making it useless. The only way to balance that extra back spin effect is to increase the BB weight, which will counteract the Magnus effect you’re applying with the hop.

In an ideal world, to get the most range and accuracy, you want the heaviest BB your gun can hop enough to shoot straight. That’s why I upgrade the hop up buckings in everything. Take the MK23 pistol. Mine shoots 305-310 FPS. But it has the ability to hop a .45 bb, giving it great range. Heavier the BB, the more energy it retains for longer and the further it will travel. 

that makes a lot of sense actually, I never thought of the relation between fps/hopup/bb weight... TNX. And this is extended by hop-up style/rubber hardness and so on ... Anyway, I already ordered the barrel and an RA npas, the shop had only 2 left so I was like ... why not :) And for limits, I think I have 400 fps available to me so for now I will probably stay with the longer barrel and the 25s or 28s, get a feel for the gun, how it shoots/hops and so on. Also, I need to stop buying stuff for a while, otherwise my significant other will probably start using the guns .... on me :P

If you’re allowed 400 FPS, .36-.43 will give you very impressive range, assuming you can hop the B.B.  one of my MWS is set as a DMR 390fps and will reach out to 70-80m 

Wait, won't increasing the BB weight drop the fps ? Or this is where the "infamous" joule creep ... creeps in ?

Later edit : never mind, I thought you said 390 FPS with the heavy BBs but I assume it's 390 with .2s 

Also, to understand your previous post:

Ideal shot = Ideal FPS+Ideally weighted BB @ Ideal hop spin

and from here onward, increasing the FPS will make the  BB  travel faster but becoming unstable because it doesn't receive enough hop spin for that speed but then, if compensating with more hop spin, the BB will shoot to the moon as you said, because it's too light, hence a heavier BB is required but then the default TM bucking/nub are too soft to actually apply the hop spin and then we need a tougher rubber/sturdier nub .... that's the gist of it, right ?

uhm what key size do I need to open the magazine ? for the green gas mod. My keys are too big and I need to get a new one, smaller :)

Also, for noobs like me, this looks pretty helpful (looks like a thorough assembly/disassembly tutorials for the mws):

Later edit:

Did the green gas mod and I learned two things:

-it's much easier to use a guide (used a log screw driver) to reinsert the magazine spring, just insert the screw driver through the spring until it reaches the spring tube and then just push it along

-even with using a pipe cutter, there can be aluminium shavings left that may reach the o-rings and cause a bad seal. Happened on one the  the mags, tested it after and it was leaking and the cause was this, very small shavings (1mm or so) around the o-ring. Cleaned them up under a magnifier and problem solved

Also, the prometheus barrel that I got ( reference: https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/prometheus-603mm-eg-inner-barrel-for-m4a1-mws-370mm) fits perfectly, the hop up cut out and all the grooves are identical with the stock marui and length wise it ends exactly where the outer barrel ends, without the flash suppressor.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, total noob type questions here but I’ve been and aeg user all my days but now want to join the Gbbr club with an mws (or if tm hurry up a 416)...once she who controls the purse stings allows me too 😨

First thing is do they things have any issue with bio bbs? I play outdoors in woodland all the time and need to use bio bbs, but heard some gbbrs have issues with them and should not be used.  

I know you guys all have modded your guns in one way or another but what do they shoot like stock? I’m a great believer (after having had aegs go pop after upgrading them) in keeping my guns stock cause then if they break it’s a back under warranty within the year lol, so the most I’d probably ever to is make look nice on the outside; make it fully ambi, get rid of the front sight etc, much like most of you have done and shown in your pics, which has made me want one even more 

The other one is tied to play style. I always use mid caps so I know I’m losing 70+ rounds but does it take a while to adjust? I currently run 4 mags for my SCAR L in Viper Hong Kong assault vest (plus one in the gun), so I know I’ll need to move away from that and get something else to let me carry more mags lol

thanks in advance for any advice 

@Bloodwing

I don’t like bio’s in general because they tend to leave residue on everything. Just loading airsoft surgeon .3 bios from a speedloader left a white mark on the little ‘ramp’. GBBR’s need reasonably hard BB’s because they are loaded into the chamber with considerably more force than an aeg, which is just fed through an L shaped hop chamber. While I have never used them, if I had to use Bio’s I would go with Geoff’s bio BB’s. I consider Geoff’s to be the best BB’s money can buy currently. 

Stock performance out of the box will exceed a TM recoil, so you’ve no issues with performance. The max they can hop in standard form (because of the hollow nub) is .28-.30. For 90% of people that’s more than sufficient. At 20m using .28, my standard gun was hitting a 2” target virtually every time. 

In terms of reliability.. I have 3 and haven’t managed to break a single one so far. Nozzle return springs are supposed to break on occasion, but it’s never happened to me, and they’re only a couple quid to replace. 

Play style is the major change with GBBR’s. For the first game or 2 you may struggle, but it will improve your game dramatically. I always tell people the same thing. If you see someone at a distance, take A couple of shots. If you can’t hit them in 3, there’s no point firing another. Move closer and reengage. Once you’re familiar with the range and accuracy of the gun and you’ve got an optic set up for that range, you’ll know by eye without firing if you can hit them or not. 

Any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask. 

Thanks for the reply Wo1f, the site I play at do mandate them so when I join the club it’s got to be them I use, so I’ll look into the getting the Geoffs.

Thanks for all the info on reliability and performance as well, and with what you’re saying unless I seriously want to make it look stunning on the outside it’s wont be that much more expensive than I thought.

Game play wise I went from high (yes I was a walking bb maraca at one point) to mids, so I’d guessed it was a like that but wanted to check with those who had hands on experience.

Again cheers for the info, now I just sweet talk the other half into letting me spend the money lol....wish me luck folks 😱

36 minutes ago, Bloodwing said:

Thanks for the reply Wo1f, the site I play at do mandate them so when I join the club it’s got to be them I use, so I’ll look into the getting the Geoffs.

Thanks for all the info on reliability and performance as well, and with what you’re saying unless I seriously want to make it look stunning on the outside it’s wont be that much more expensive than I thought.

Game play wise I went from high (yes I was a walking bb maraca at one point) to mids, so I’d guessed it was a like that but wanted to check with those who had hands on experience.

Again cheers for the info, now I just sweet talk the other half into letting me spend the money lol....wish me luck folks 😱

Easier to seek forgiveness than permission... 

30 minutes ago, Dentonboy said:

Easier to seek forgiveness than permission... 

I base my life around this principle

You guys haven’t met my misses...I’ll just have to bribe her with something ridiculously expensive if I want my new “toy” (to quote her)

Do what I do. Come home with wine and when she asks how much the gun was, always move the decimal point one place to the left. 

21 hours ago, skintrade said:

"How much was it?"

"Less than that dress you've worn once..."

No?

I tried that with my SCAR when I got a good few years back and shoes...needless to say I ate very humble pie for a long time...

I like immortals plan though...or I may just get it delivered to my parents place lol

used G&G precision 0.25 Bio BBs and didn't notice any issues with both my MWS and the TM Beretta. Only for one match though, so I'll see in the future

And a dilema...

Last time, I used ProTech green gas which seems to be pretty decent (~133 psi ...at room temp I guess) for the MWS and ABBEY 144 for the Beretta. The temps were about 7-15 C and everything worked fine, except the Beretta wasn't locking on empty every now and then.

Now, I am about to go this Sunday to a field and the temps are forecast to be between 0-7 C  and also rain, so the "feels like" temps will probably be lower and I am a bit worried.  I am thinking of using Nuprol 4.0 for the MWS and the ProTech in the Beretta. Would that be safe ? 

Never used pro tech gas, so I assume it’s similar to most green gas. With TM pistols, I always run green gas or rather propane. What you sometimes find is if you put really high pressure gas in the mag, the hammer spring isn’t strong enough to depress the valve on the mag. Easy way to test would be to put your mag in the fridge for 15 mins, take it out, fill it with whatever gas you want you use and test fire it. 

Mws should be fine. I run mine on propane all year round. If it’s 0 or below I’d use MAP gas 

So the problem would be the other way around, not enough power. I really wonder how Nuprol 4.0 with whatever ethane % they say it has, compares with propane. I also have the option of sticking a toe warmer on the mag. It's rated at 37 C with a maximum of 45 C, but that will be distributed to only a part of the mag and also there will be heat loss and what not. Decisions decisions ....

For what it’s worth, I played Saturday and had no issues with any of my pistols. Although it was a little warmer. If you wear a PC or vest with your mags on, you can get one of those chemical hand warmers and put them in there near the mags. Won’t help for the one in the gun, but I’ve seen it done.

how often are you realistically using your pistol in game?