THE TM MWS thread

Wo1f

And on a side note, I love how in the Badabing video he shows you how to dismantle the mag - but doesn't mention (or show) what an utter b**tard it is to get the flipping spring back in!
When I was doing one, there should have been the Benny Hill theme tune going on in the background.

1 hour ago, sonofsammo said:

And on a side note, I love how in the Badabing video he shows you how to dismantle the mag - but doesn't mention (or show) what an utter b**tard it is to get the flipping spring back in!
When I was doing one, there should have been the Benny Hill theme tune going on in the background.

I know, right?! The tubes didn’t want to come out for me either!

got some stuff to put up today, including a range finder confirmed 81M shot. 

9 hours ago, Dentonboy said:

Where can one source a copper hop number Sir?! 

you mean the brass nub? you ask Dave very nicely if he'll machine you one. £/performance its one of the best mods ive made.  either message him on here, or via https://sixgunsmithing.wordpress.com/2018/03/11/sixg-super-nub-for-marui-gbbr/

Internal modifications:

To start off with i bought myself a PDI raven 250mm 6.01 tightbore barrel, an ORGA 370mm 6.05 barrel, NPAS valve, UAC sealing piston buffer and a maple leaf bucking. I also bought a maple leaf 370mm tight bore, labelled as "for MWS" but it didn't fit, and i'll show you why in a minute.

IMG_3900_zpsukljesao.jpg

The Pdi raven barrel is the same length as the standard 250mm inner barrel, but its tighter bore gives around a 35-40 fps increase. the bore is nice and smooth, but the one thing I'm unsure about it the style of cut they put into the hop. it seems to work fine, but the hop window isn't as large as the standard. Depending on the gas you use and the temperature, its possible to go over the 350 fps limit with his barrel, depending on how the hop is set. 

RAVEN-639356-2L_zpssrcdwyed.jpg

The ORGA barrel is brass and is cut like the original hop window. It has a very nice crown and the internal finish is very nice. This barrel went into the DMR MWS i had, before replacing it with a 410MM (Exactly the same barrel, but longer.) Ive found this barrel to be nice and accurate, but the standard barrel is nice enough. Performance increase is there, but its not a drastic change. Due to the length of 370mm this WILL NOT FIT the CQBR. Below is a maple leaf and an ORGA barrel. They look VERY similar, but the alignment cuts are about .5mm off spec. You can force the hop chamber closed, but this has the potential to create inconsistencies so personally I'd avoid.

IMG_3989_zpsmskbcbu5.jpg

The UAC sealing buffer offers no noticeable fps or consistency increase. Good to have as a spare though.

The NPAS was fitted to my DMR and is probably the best NPAS I've come across. It seems to hold its adjustment well, probably due to the fact it is quite stiff to turn. I imagine it has a o ring or some form of nylock on the threads at a guess. It suits my purposes, but if you're running a standard <350 fps gun id say it was not needed.

I'm going to go into Hop rubbers later tonight, as I've tried one hell of a lot so it deserves it's own part. For now, have a look at my MWS in it's latest dress. Old school and heavy!

4874E7B4-8CFE-44C4-9CE4-D337C123DA2F_zps

46 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

you mean the brass nub? you ask Dave very nicely if he'll machine you one. £/performance its one of the best mods ive made.  either message him on here, or via https://sixgunsmithing.wordpress.com/

Thanks, I don't know who Dave is on here Chief. 

40 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

@Wo1f - Can you use just the nub on its own? If so, what weight BBs can you use before you need to start altering other things?

Which speedfills do you use? I'm still using the tube that came with it - and it's painfully slow!

Yes, it works very well with the stock hop up rubber. Standard I’ve found .28 to be about max. Maybe .3.. with the brass nub you can easily lift .4’s if you like. I found .32 Geoff’s worked well for a 350 FPS gun. 

Standard 90rd pistol style loafers with the adapter. MWS mags are quite stiff to load

• Head Moderator

Moved to Advice & Technical Help section, a more appropriate location for all the useful information.

HOP UP BUCKINGS:

Let me start by saying that the standard hop up rubbers are more than adequate for virtually all uses. One of the reasons i think they work so well is because they are soft. In general, the lower the FPS, the softer the bucking, and these guns are designed to run on duster gas at 280 FPS. I've found gas guns like softer rubbers because of the cold temperatures they run at, which is why i think the standard one works so well. The advantage of Gas guns over AEG's is that they can throw heavyweight BB's more effectively. This with a combination of a good and stable hop up means your able to fire a 'round' that retains its energy for longer and is less effected by wind. This is where your range and accuracy comes from. 

Cheapest upgrade:

This one is potentially free. The stock hop up nub is a hollow rubber cylinder. The problem with that is its soft, so a lot of the hop range is taken up by the nub compressing. That means you're only going to be able to lift a .28 or .3 at a push. Putting a pin or something solid through the hole allows for more hop range, meaning you can lift a heavier BB. 

Replacement Nub:

Next option is a replacement nub. Something solid is what you're looking for. if there's no flex or squishiness in the nub then your consistency will improve slightly. I opted for the brass super nub that's pictured above and it's served me very well. According to google maps, the distance in the video above is 60.4m. With an otherwise stock gun, i was hitting my target with ease using .32BB's. The range could have been extended further, but i opted for the straightest flight path over the extended range a little more hop would have supplied because i was forced to use iron sights. You can buy the brass nub here: https://sixgunsmithing.wordpress.com/2018/03/11/sixg-super-nub-for-marui-gbbr/

Replacement bucking:

Now this is where things get interesting... At first, i tried a 70D maple leaf delta bucking in combination with the brass nub (the brass nub is concave, so it works with maple leaf's design) but it offered no noticeable performance gain. I imagine this was down to the hardness. Following that, you have 4 popular options, which are these:

IMG_3887_zpspkcxexxf.jpg

The green UAC is a direct clone of the Marui from what i can tell, but is offered in multiple, colour coded hardness options. It works well and i would consider this a replacement part if you wear out your stock rubber. The maple leaf autobot and decepticon buckings are very good. They've served me well in many WE GBBR's as well as a Tm MK23. it's the current set up in my DMR. These need to be used with some form of concave nub or key. I've also had good luck with PDI's W hold bucking, but its important to mention that it's quite thick and i needed to sand down some of the outside of the rubber to make it fit. Once in, it worked like a charm. I'm currently testing TNT's T-Hop bucking in my CASV. its a similar concave design to the maple leaf. I'll report back with my findings.

Custom Hop:

Everyone can say their gun shoots for miles, and for the most part it's just bullshit, so before we begin, a picture speaks a thousand words.

339E572B-2737-49C3-B667-A65061E214FA_zps

The set up is as follows:

NPAS

410mm ORGA 6.05 

Maple leaf decepticon 60D bucking

Maple leaf I key

modified hop chamber.

400 fps on .2 using ASG Ai .36 BB's

IMG_0782_zps9decj8g1.jpg

In order to do this, you need to open up the hop window with a file or dremel. You'll understand why when you try to place an I key in the hole as it's too long. you just need to elongate the hole the nub sits in by maybe 2mm.

BAD2D2B7-9353-49BA-A81B-42654266F4D6_zps

46 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

In terms of maintenance, what should I be doing to mine? 
Because I have no idea where to start! TIA.

I’ll do a write up on maintenance with pics when I get in if I get chance. 

Is it bad that I *love* my MWS?! 

I was getting so bored of sewing machine sounding AEGs which pretty much performed like every other one before it or after. 

TM's MWS made it fun again. It made every 'kill' a challenge, every shot a smidgen of adrenaline and put in a degree of unpredictability. 

And, because it was from those great bunch of lads in Japan, it was all put together beautifully. 

Without that MWS purchase, I genuinely could have seen me falling out of love with this hobby and I am glad I took the leap. 

They are great pieces of kit, i think it will be a long time untill something better is produced.

I dont want to, or mean to start any off topic convo on Wo1f's nice thread but i would love TM to make a HPA variant of these, properly, not tapped mags.

I love mine too. It’s very satisfying to get a kill with such limited capacity, and nothing is better than engaging targets at range knowing they cannot hit you back lol. 

This thread is for all things mws, so post anything you like. Get pictures of your pride and joy up, tell us about what mods you like or didn’t or any other cool stuff. Even news on the mws type 89. If it takes an mws mag, I wanna hear about it! 

Gonna upload the pictures when I get in and do a maintenance write up. 

I broke mine already :angry:
Have added a new sling plate, but now can't get upper and lower receiver to join again - any help would be much appreciated!

Pics click HERE

fixed it - hurrah! Needed to unscrew the buffer tube one rotation

Edited by sonofsammo