Jump to content
steakandpotato

Imitation Loadouts vs Personal Loadouts

Recommended Posts

Discuss.

 

Imitation Loadouts: Loadouts pertaining to the specific use of surplus + genuine issue gear only.

 

Personal Loadouts: Loadouts where the player buys whichever takes his fancy. No restrictions on camo/guns/gear.

 

I've just completed my first Imitation loadout. Specifically - British Army MTP. I am tempted to use this for maybe 6-8 months and then begin working on another imitation load out (Probably UKSF, as it's incredibly varied, and thus less restrictive). I'm glad with the way the setup turned out, and enjoy playing with it.

 

It was definitely more stressful than had I just purchased whatever gear done the job, which is what I am tempted at doing in the future. I was just wondering what you guys have/think is the best route.

 

Do you have an imitation loadout or a personal loadout? Why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I'm still fairly new to airsoft, having only started less than six months ago I've opted to pick up stuff as and when I needed it. And boy does it seem I need a lot of stuff!

 

I decided on urban style clothes, black molle gear as sparse as possible, no tactical girdle. :lol:

 

I use One Tigris molle belt, drop leg unit, holster for my KWC G17C and mag puches topped off with a Viper double pistol mag pouch and a cheapo small dump pouch. Oh, and a single point OneTigris sling for the ol springer.

Bolle Silium eye pro, both smoked and clear and an unbranded black lower face mesh.

 

I top this off with black combats, black converse high tops, Richa summer motorcycle gloves, a random flannel shirt, bandana over the mesh and a leather bikers cut for a little added armour from those tangy beebs. Also got a nice leather cap on the way that has little flaps to stop beebs going down my lugholes and some knee-pads because I tend to walk into stuff a lot.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well after being addicted for nearly 18yrs now as I’m sure you can guess I have a mahoosive camo collection to go with my rather LARGE gun collection! 

Ive always liked putting together correct loadout’s (but I’m no thread counter by any stretch of the imagination, Geardo yes , but thread counter ? no) Past 2-3yrs me and a couple of my team mates have been big time in too ‘movie S’ofting’ loadouts from films , appropriate camo/gear/gun’s/etc , not 100% spot on accurate but good enough to pass inspection as it were . We’ve done ; tears of the sun , apocalypse now , wild geese , Blackhawk down , ‘71 , Dark of the sun . My biggest problem is I LOVE spending a couple of mths putting it together but once it’s all done and I’ve scurmished it a couple of times I get bored with it and want to do a new one ! 

One of the few pics I’ve got of me in any of them .

B3260A5C-272F-4E99-A118-E977762338A7.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not have a load-out per se and just wear clothing best suited for the site.  DPM or MTP for outdoor/woodland and grey for indoor CQB. I am not into imitation or re-enactment.  My kit is either items which I do not mind getting dirty and ripped or are real life pieces for comfort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently I just wear walking trousers (usually gray ones) and a hoodie or t-shirt. I've got some mag pouches and pistol holster on a normal belt right now, however I've started doing leather working, so aiming to make my own kit. Eventually it will look a bit apocalyptic I suppose... I wasn't going to, but after constantly being hit in the stomach and boobs I've given in, can't take the pain any more, so will also be making a leather vest thing to soften the sting! I've just received the leather so will be drawing up plans for it over the next week or so. Now to decide on a colour! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Duff said:

As I'm still fairly new to airsoft, having only started less than six months ago I've opted to pick up stuff as and when I needed it. And boy does it seem I need a lot of stuff!

 

I decided on urban style clothes, black molle gear as sparse as possible, no tactical girdle. :lol:

 

I use One Tigris molle belt, drop leg unit, holster for my KWC G17C and mag puches topped off with a Viper double pistol mag pouch and a cheapo small dump pouch. Oh, and a single point OneTigris sling for the ol springer.

Bolle Silium eye pro, both smoked and clear and an unbranded black lower face mesh.

 

I top this off with black combats, black converse high tops, Richa summer motorcycle gloves, a random flannel shirt, bandana over the mesh and a leather bikers cut for a little added armour from those tangy beebs. Also got a nice leather cap on the way that has little flaps to stop beebs going down my lugholes and some knee-pads because I tend to walk into stuff a lot.

 

 

 

Tbh that was almost part of the reason I went for imitation - I was new to airsoft and didn't really know what to get. So I took the opinion of 'If its good enough for the army, its good enough for airsoft'.

 

 

1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

Well after being addicted for nearly 18yrs now as I’m sure you can guess I have a mahoosive camo collection to go with my rather LARGE gun collection! 

Ive always liked putting together correct loadout’s (but I’m no thread counter by any stretch of the imagination, Geardo yes , but thread counter ? no) Past 2-3yrs me and a couple of my team mates have been big time in too ‘movie S’ofting’ loadouts from films , appropriate camo/gear/gun’s/etc , not 100% spot on accurate but good enough to pass inspection as it were . We’ve done ; tears of the sun , apocalypse now , wild geese , Blackhawk down , ‘71 , Dark of the sun . My biggest problem is I LOVE spending a couple of mths putting it together but once it’s all done and I’ve scurmished it a couple of times I get bored with it and want to do a new one ! 

One of the few pics I’ve got of me in any of them .

B3260A5C-272F-4E99-A118-E977762338A7.jpeg

 

I can imagine you have quite the selection. That's a pretty cool idea though, re-making loadouts from films. Never thought of that before. Side note: you look cool as hell. Query though: Do you not get worried about your teeth getting popped out by a BB? Or stuck in your face? I only ask because I would love to not run face pro, but am quite fearful of losing a tooth and/or getting a pellet stuck somewhere.

 

 

1 hour ago, Jedi_Master said:

I do not have a load-out per se and just wear clothing best suited for the site.  DPM or MTP for outdoor/woodland and grey for indoor CQB. I am not into imitation or re-enactment.  My kit is either items which I do not mind getting dirty and ripped or are real life pieces for comfort.

 

Sounds very functional and smart. I like it. I imagine I'll eventually get into that style of gearing.

 

 

35 minutes ago, Arwen said:

Currently I just wear walking trousers (usually gray ones) and a hoodie or t-shirt. I've got some mag pouches and pistol holster on a normal belt right now, however I've started doing leather working, so aiming to make my own kit. Eventually it will look a bit apocalyptic I suppose... I wasn't going to, but after constantly being hit in the stomach and boobs I've given in, can't take the pain any more, so will also be making a leather vest thing to soften the sting! I've just received the leather so will be drawing up plans for it over the next week or so. Now to decide on a colour! 

 

I don't really see anyone wearing apocalyptic styled gear so you'll definitely look original. Yes getting popped in the stomach isn't great. I once played a game without a vest and just a shirt and it stung quite a bit. I'd suggest bright yellow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Arwen said:

Currently I just wear walking trousers (usually gray ones) and a hoodie or t-shirt. I've got some mag pouches and pistol holster on a normal belt right now, however I've started doing leather working, so aiming to make my own kit. Eventually it will look a bit apocalyptic I suppose... I wasn't going to, but after constantly being hit in the stomach and boobs I've given in, can't take the pain any more, so will also be making a leather vest thing to soften the sting! I've just received the leather so will be drawing up plans for it over the next week or so. Now to decide on a colour! 

 

I'd love to have apocalyptic style loadout for CQB, but erm... Not really looked because hoodie, recon chest rig, and cargo pants do the trick lol.
 

Actual post:
From the few photos of myself in gear that are floating around, I'm like Jedi with the camo for woodland (yeah ok, let's pretend my ghillie suit isnt there because that was a freebie with my sniper lol). 
Just whatever clothing is best suited and I don't mind ripping I mean, my black hoodie is a good couple years old and barely hits my belt its shrunk lol. Keeps everything simple at the end of the day, can throw all my gear together in the morning and not have to think twice because its simply "CQB so i need black" or "woodland so i need camo".

I do want to give an imitation kit a crack though, purely for the looks, just my current budget cant allow for that stuff lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i just keep it light and simple, camo trousers, camo t shirt, camo jacket and head/face covering. how much kit do you need to carry? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always been a fan of the Semi Tactical approach .... Mostly civvie stuff with a smattering of proper tac gear.

 

Comfy, relatively cheap to acquire and can look quite good IMHO :D

 

 

5a856262b7311_OperatorLoadout.JPG.b946a84b0fe07e82a786df02c961a6f9.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, steakandpotato said:

 Do you not get worried about your teeth getting popped out by a BB? Or stuck in your face? I only ask because I would love to not run face pro, but am quite fearful of losing a tooth and/or getting a pellet stuck somewhere.

Valid point mate , I always wear full face in-game (basically for the reasons you’ve given)  , this pic was taken in between games ! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anything...you see some of the outfits the real 'secret squirrels' used in Iraq/Afghan...they all looked like bums!  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

 

Valid point mate , I always wear full face in-game (basically for the reasons you’ve given)  , this pic was taken in between games ! :D

 

Ah fair enough. Do you use mesh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I started I loved the idea of building Loadouts, I had loads of ideas and started a few, but realised getting the right parts, using the right weapons etc was hugely limiting.

Also it wasnt always practical. I started a SAS (late 80s look) loadout, got genuine nomex overalls and gas mask which I planned to convert (mesh and fans etc) but it was too hot running around with it and the thought of a gasmask all day was stifling, wven worse wearing it lol

 

Started a post apocolyptic loadout, started building props to hang off a rig/backpack but then thought whats the point. All this stuff is not serving a purpose, its heavy, gets in the way, gets caught, rattles, takes bbs I cant feel and its Airsoft not cosplay so stripped it back for skirmishes.

 

Used to have a black vest for CQB with pouches for my M4 Mp5k and pistol as well as other random pouches I thought I needed, then I doubled up to get everything in green for outdoors and spent a fortune doubling up all pouches and kit to hardly wear them :( 

 

Now I wear comfortable outdoors clothes, a black belt and thigh rig and only carry what I intend to use on the skirmish. It took me a long time to strip it back and get to this point, even now I tweek my gear after each game.

 

That being said I appreciated a loadout, the time and effort to build it and dedication to wear it (saw a bomb disposal loadout at The Mall once and guy must have been sweating buckets) but also realise for most skirmishes they can be impractical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

When I started I loved the idea of building Loadouts, I had loads of ideas and started a few, but realised getting the right parts, using the right weapons etc was hugely limiting.

Also it wasnt always practical. I started a SAS (late 80s look) loadout, got genuine nomex overalls and gas mask which I planned to convert (mesh and fans etc) but it was too hot running around with it and the thought of a gasmask all day was stifling, wven worse wearing it lol

 

Started a post apocolyptic loadout, started building props to hang off a rig/backpack but then thought whats the point. All this stuff is not serving a purpose, its heavy, gets in the way, gets caught, rattles, takes bbs I cant feel and its Airsoft not cosplay so stripped it back for skirmishes.

 

Used to have a black vest for CQB with pouches for my M4 Mp5k and pistol as well as other random pouches I thought I needed, then I doubled up to get everything in green for outdoors and spent a fortune doubling up all pouches and kit to hardly wear them :( 

 

Now I wear comfortable outdoors clothes, a black belt and thigh rig and only carry what I intend to use on the skirmish. It took me a long time to strip it back and get to this point, even now I tweek my gear after each game.

 

That being said I appreciated a loadout, the time and effort to build it and dedication to wear it (saw a bomb disposal loadout at The Mall once and guy must have been sweating buckets) but also realise for most skirmishes they can be impractical.

 

Yes, building a loadout is quite a fun experience. Fact-checking all the different parts to make sure you've got the right gear is a bit long winded but keeps you educated I guess.

 

A friend of mine wants to build a typical hollywood-style SAS with a gas mask, I may have to show him this post.

 

My load out atm isn't too heavy - The only thing I really carry that serves no purpose when not in a milsim game is an assault pack, but I feel like it completes the look and makes it more 'soldiery'. (That said, someone did lose a big black gas canister on the field that I put in my pack to give to a marshal at the end, so it served one purpose thus far lol)

 

I imagine eventually my loadout will slowly but surely slim down, especially over summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, steakandpotato said:

 

Ah fair enough. Do you use mesh?

Mostly , I’ve got a fair few different types (surprise surprise! ) I started out with a neoprene mask but fogged to hell then when the mesh masks started appearing the best were made by a Russian call ‘brass bear’ , still got it but now all my team use the ones where you’ve got mesh just over your nose and mouth and padded material on the cheeks . I also have a couple of the solid plastic ones with mesh in the middle that clip on too helmets rails . 

Have just bought one of the helmets with the fully integrated mesh mask clear visor , used it once decided the field ov view wasn’t big enough so cut the visor out made the space bigger and used a section of motorbike visor to replace it , worked well but the jury is still out as it’s quite bulky . 

Druid . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Mostly , I’ve got a fair few different types (surprise surprise! ) I started out with a neoprene mask but fogged to hell then when the mesh masks started appearing the best were made by a Russian call ‘brass bear’ , still got it but now all my team use the ones where you’ve got mesh just over your nose and mouth and padded material on the cheeks . I also have a couple of the solid plastic ones with mesh in the middle that clip on too helmets rails . 

Have just bought one of the helmets with the fully integrated mesh mask clear visor , used it once decided the field ov view wasn’t big enough so cut the visor out made the space bigger and used a section of motorbike visor to replace it , worked well but the jury is still out as it’s quite bulky . 

Druid . 

 

I recently saw a mouth-only face pro which I'm tempted to get, however I'm concerned about its functionality and how good it actually is at stopping my teeth getting popped out. Will need to do some research lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personal loadouts for me.

 

I'd like to have an impression kit, but

1) 80% of the gear used has no place in airsoft and that triggers me a lot (weight and bulky af)

2) genuine gear is hard to get, especially if it belongs to SFs..

 

Here in Italy there is a third category of loadouts, the "inspired" ones, which resemble impressions (or reenactment) but they're adapted to airsoft and you can have replicas as long as they are not terrible..

 

I typically run whatever fits my needs, weather and type of event I'm attending..

 

If it's a regular training I rock whatever my mom (yes, 26yo and mom <3 still washes my airsoft stuff) bothers to wash along with a chest rig, if it's a tournament I go full swag with team camo and "tournament" rig, if it's cqb I just run whatever clothing I want and a plate carrier..

 

I also had a sniper loadout but since I don't have a bolt action anymore I've scrapped it (was a ghillie + belt)..

 

As usual, no point in carrying useless stuff with you around the field, your back will thank you :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, steakandpotato said:

I don't really see anyone wearing apocalyptic styled gear so you'll definitely look original. Yes getting popped in the stomach isn't great. I once played a game without a vest and just a shirt and it stung quite a bit. I'd suggest bright yellow.

During the warmer months I usually just wear a t shirt. A lot of the guys said I would eventually get used to the sting, which is sorta true. It doesn't really bother me getting shot in the legs and arms any more. However even with a few thin layers on, stomach shots send me to my knees :lol: I'm thinking a dark green for my leather. Test shot it and it does take the sting out, and makes a rather nice "thunk" sound when it gets hit! 

 

15 hours ago, LightningCh said:

I'd love to have apocalyptic style loadout for CQB, but erm... Not really looked because hoodie, recon chest rig, and cargo pants do the trick lol.

It wasn't really my intention to be fair. It was after I painted my Wasp and Little Bird with the bronze paint that people kept commenting that it looked like something from Fallout! So now I'm just playing more into it B)

 

I do like to carry as little as possible when I'm out on a game. I did try a thigh rig for a while, but found I ended up carrying too much and it hindered me more than it was worth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Arwen said:

During the warmer months I usually just wear a t shirt. A lot of the guys said I would eventually get used to the sting, which is sorta true. It doesn't really bother me getting shot in the legs and arms any more. However even with a few thin layers on, stomach shots send me to my knees :lol: I'm thinking a dark green for my leather. Test shot it and it does take the sting out, and makes a rather nice "thunk" sound when it gets hit! 

 

It wasn't really my intention to be fair. It was after I painted my Wasp and Little Bird with the bronze paint that people kept commenting that it looked like something from Fallout! So now I'm just playing more into it B)

 

I do like to carry as little as possible when I'm out on a game. I did try a thigh rig for a while, but found I ended up carrying too much and it hindered me more than it was worth. 

After using several kinds of belts for holding light and heavy items, I would suggest making the belt as rigid as possible.

So rigid that you can load it up with gear, fasten it and then hold it in one hand and it doesn't bend.

 

The best ones (made from nylon but could be applied to leather) have a plastic insert in the middle to keep form and strength.

Though I have seen leather duty belts and many are woven.

 

(Or at least god tier leather and fairly thick)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea I've been toying with different ways to keep the belt rigid. What I think I'm going to do is make two belts, that both go through a 3rd bit of leather that is contour to fit around hips/waist - a bit like the padded hip straps on large hiking rucksacks. I might be able to do it with one wider belt, but need a wider belt/ bit of leather to test this properly. 

This should mean the belt will fit snuggly, and not move much when running around. Which should make if comfortable but not able to bend/cave in at the same time. This also will provide a platform to possibly hang other things like thigh holsters or similar from and not have it interfere with mag pouches! 

It's all fun designing things like this :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too just wear a tee in summer, bb hits don't hurt unless at really close range, which unfortunately on our field happens quite often (pine forest with a lot of undergrowth, bushes, reducing the engagements to literally sub 20m 90% of the times)..

 

As far as belts go, the stiffer the better, it needs to hold the weight of the stuff you're going to put on it..

Some belts have a plastic/kydex core, some use 2/3 layers of scuba webbing, which is stiff to begin with, to make it hard as a rock..

 

Leather tends to give up strength with time (talking about 3/4 years of every day use), maybe a layer of scuba webbing on the inside and leather on the outside for the looks, best of both worlds really..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Arwen said:

That stuff is absolutely hell to sew if you don’t have an industrial strength machine (I make a fair bit of kit and I’ve tried it ) what I’d recommend if you want a really stiff belt is get normal 50mm webbing sew two lengths together , then get some thin plastic strips approx 35-40mm wide and as long as you can get (I use strips cut from 2lt pop bottles) then gaffa tape to join them together to required length, slide in the ‘tube’ pocket you’ve made with the webbing , stitch closed with enough un-stiffened to put through your buckles and job done ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a quick google I don't even fancy trying to sew that scuba webbing! Would be easy enough to glue it (at least partly) on to the inside of a leather belt, then cover it with another strip of leather. I'll need to play around with ideas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×