Barrel length/extensions?

Craigmc1983
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

Complete noob here and just looking for some general info.

From reading around the forums, watching YouTube vids.....etc I get the impression there's not really a "one gun suits all" for different game types (skirmish/cqb....etc)?

I was wondering what about adding a removable extension/mock silencer? 

If I bought a carbine/cqb focused gun and then an extension for use when playing skirmish games, do you think this would be adequate until I got more into it and could afford a second gun?

Why bother with an extension? It doesn't make any difference to the way the gun actually performs.

6 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

Why bother with an extension? It doesn't make any difference to the way the gun actually performs.

Well like I said mate I'm new so that's why I am asking.

Thanks for your answer even though you replied like I'm an idiot!

1 minute ago, Sitting Duck said:

buy a gun with a 230 to 300mm barrel

should be a gun you can wield easily as an all rounder

barrel length makes little difference for aeg's in the end

Just get a medium length barrel M4, G36c, AK74

Than a great big or titchy mofo gun

Thanks mate, I appreciate the advice

Apologies, but the same questions keep coming up!

With AEGs, once barrel length gets over about 200mm a longer barrel doesn't make any difference to range or accuracy, so a gun that's short enough to be handy for CQB is not going to be giving anything away in a woodland setting.

Some CQB sites will limit you to 0.25g BBs, but consider using 0.28g outdoors for more range and better accuracy.

Just now, Hangtight said:

Apologies, but the same questions keep coming up!

With AEGs, once barrel length gets over about 200mm a longer barrel doesn't make any difference to range or accuracy, so a gun that's short enough to be handy for CQB is not going to be giving anything away in a woodland setting.

Some CQB sites will limit you to 0.25g BBs, but consider using 0.28g outdoors for more range and better accuracy.

No worries mate, I'm sorry if it's frustrating, I did read the rules and did a search for extensions before posting but couldn't find anything.

Thanks for the tip on the BBs, have been reading a bit about them but havnt read about the cqb weight limits yet, very much appreciated

I just extended the length of the inner barrel in my vector to 363mm from 155 made about 15fps difference, but the new hop rubber and nub made a huge accuracy and and some range difference.

• Supporters
On 06/03/2018 at 7:46 PM, Craigmc1983 said:

I get the impression there's not really a "one gun suits all" for different game types (skirmish/cqb....etc)?

Allow me to introduce you to the MK18... https://fubarbundy.co.uk/shop/specna-arms-m4-ris-carbine-sa-a03/

• 3 weeks later...
Guest scalawag

I can second what rocket says about the hop up system and bucking making a difference to accuracy and adds a bit of range.  The barrel length makes very little difference past a certain length (i'm no expert there).

I use a Flat Hop set up using a Prowin Hop up unit, with a modified prometheus purple bucking and a Firefly Namazu Flat hop nub in my AEGs where I can.  It is relatively easy to install, easy to set up and makes a big difference over the stock Hop up set ups.  You could also do this with a lot of stock Hop up units but the Prowin is CNC machined and has a better fit and finish and much more precise dimensions than the usual cast metal hop ups, and is stronger than most of the plastic ones.  I believe there are a number of very good alternatives to the Prowin which are also very accurately machined but the Prowin is my choice.  

The Prommy purple bucking just seems to have a perfect consistency in the rubber to spin the BB without slowing down, and it is flexible enough to take the shape of the nub well too, they also seem not to vary from batch to batch which is great too.  Prometheus do a blue hop bucking which is designed for Flat Hopping and needs no modification, but my advice having tried one would still be to buy the purple and modify it yourself.  The blue one is terrible, not the same rubber compound at all and really not a patch on the purple ones.

There are several Flat Hop nubs on the market and I have not tried them all, but the Firely Namazu hard/red ones are my favourite.  I have tried the Prometheus flat hop nub set, which is OK, but I think the Namazu has slightly better performance.  The red ones seem to be a perfect hardness to engage the bb and once again they seem consistent from batch to batch so no guessing if you have a good one or a bad one lol.

Sorry I have rambled on there but I really do believe this will be a more effective way of increasing accuracy than a longer barrel.

Here is a link to a previous post that offers places to buy the parts, and a video which runs through how to put it all together and how to modify the bucking.

I hope this helps.

Have you ever actually taken a vernier to a Prowin hop up? They're not exactly consistent.

Guest scalawag
15 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

Have you ever actually taken a vernier to a Prowin hop up? They're not exactly consistent.

Ok thats fine, did say I am not an expert (or for that matter an engineer and I don't own a vernier).  I also said that there are alternatives, and that the Prowin was "my choice" not that it was the one you have to buy.  

Personally I have never had a problem with one but if you have so be it, I can accept that.  People can make their own choices.

I was trying to help, and offer an opinion here but maybe I won't bother in the future if this is the sort of response it brings.

Perhaps you could make your own posts a little more helpful in future rather than just offering a one liner that is curt and critical?

7 hours ago, scalawag said:

I can second what rocket says about the hop up system and bucking making a difference to accuracy and adds a bit of range.  The barrel length makes very little difference past a certain length (i'm no expert there).

I use a Flat Hop set up using a Prowin Hop up unit, with a modified prometheus purple bucking and a Firefly Namazu Flat hop nub in my AEGs where I can.  It is relatively easy to install, easy to set up and makes a big difference over the stock Hop up set ups.  You could also do this with a lot of stock Hop up units but the Prowin is CNC machined and has a better fit and finish and much more precise dimensions than the usual cast metal hop ups, and is stronger than most of the plastic ones.  I believe there are a number of very good alternatives to the Prowin which are also very accurately machined but the Prowin is my choice.  

The Prommy purple bucking just seems to have a perfect consistency in the rubber to spin the BB without slowing down, and it is flexible enough to take the shape of the nub well too, they also seem not to vary from batch to batch which is great too.  Prometheus do a blue hop bucking which is designed for Flat Hopping and needs no modification, but my advice having tried one would still be to buy the purple and modify it yourself.  The blue one is terrible, not the same rubber compound at all and really not a patch on the purple ones.

There are several Flat Hop nubs on the market and I have not tried them all, but the Firely Namazu hard/red ones are my favourite.  I have tried the Prometheus flat hop nub set, which is OK, but I think the Namazu has slightly better performance.  The red ones seem to be a perfect hardness to engage the bb and once again they seem consistent from batch to batch so no guessing if you have a good one or a bad one lol.

Sorry I have rambled on there but I really do believe this will be a more effective way of increasing accuracy than a longer barrel.

Here is a link to a previous post that offers places to buy the parts, and a video which runs through how to put it all together and how to modify the bucking.

I hope this helps.

Very helpful mate!

Thank you for taking the time and effort to give me some advice, I appreciate it!

9 hours ago, scalawag said:

Ok thats fine, did say I am not an expert (or for that matter an engineer and I don't own a vernier).  I also said that there are alternatives, and that the Prowin was "my choice" not that it was the one you have to buy.  

Personally I have never had a problem with one but if you have so be it, I can accept that.  People can make their own choices.

I was trying to help, and offer an opinion here but maybe I won't bother in the future if this is the sort of response it brings.

Perhaps you could make your own posts a little more helpful in future rather than just offering a one liner that is curt and critical?

Now I'm at a proper keyboard I'm able to answer you in a bit more detail, if you'd like to hear it. Apologies if my response came across as curt, but it just grinds my gears a bit when inaccurate information is offered, and Prowin hop ups are a particular thorn in my side at the moment!

Guest scalawag

1 hour ago, Hangtight said:

Now I'm at a proper keyboard I'm able to answer you in a bit more detail, if you'd like to hear it. Apologies if my response came across as curt, but it just grinds my gears a bit when inaccurate information is offered, and Prowin hop ups are a particular thorn in my side at the moment!

No I don't think I want to hear any more Thanks all the same.  Not really that interested after your first reply to be honest.    Thank you for the apology which is of course accepted.  Maybe you should have waited until you were at a "proper keyboard" before answering at all rather than putting the limited reply that you did, I might have been more inclined to listen to what you have to say then. 

I don't think discussing it further here would be that productive for this thread, I got the gist and I understand that you don't like prowin.  Thats probably enough for here I think, as any more in depth discussion of one particular manufacturers product and its failings would take the thread too far of course.

3 hours ago, Craigmc1983 said:

Very helpful mate!

Thank you for taking the time and effort to give me some advice, I appreciate it!

Thank you, and you are of course very welcome.  I hoped it would be of some help.

Archived