Newbie in the East

Guest MaccyD
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Guest MaccyD

Hi all

Decided to jump on the airsoft train and give it a go. Got a few mates into it but none local (i know everyone through cars rather than guns....so far lol). Just signed up to a local (Norfolk) Facebook group to try and catch some fellow newbies and give it a try (probably booking my first skirmish for next weekend). Im more nervous about meeting people than i am about getting shot at lol. So yeah, thought, as with cars, a forum is the best place to start for advice and making new friends!

Cheers

Maccy

Welcome mate, airsofters are nothing but big nerds and mostly friendly.

Don't feel shy about chatting to random strangers, once you start talking they stop becoming strangers.

• Moderators

Hi, Welcome to AFUK, the place where you bank balance can take a massive hit!

Not sure your exact location in Norfolk, but as you are probably aware, there are a fair few sites around

I occasionally (summer) play at Combat Airsoft in Thetford and Gumnan/Team Green at Tuddenham

take a read of the stickied topics for beginners guides etc. as you will find most of your answers there ;) 

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

Guest MaccyD

Thanks DJ, i joined the North Norfolk airsoft facebook group as a start and have read through all the beginners guides to get me started, so hopefully no silly questions..... yet. Going to book in at Combat Airsoft as it goes on the 18th. Gotta start somewhere and it seems like a friendly bunch.

I imagine this will end up like anything, a strict budget, at a pinch of man maths, and some sexy looking equipment, and all of a sudden you end up spending double what you had planned lol

• Moderators

no problem, yeah i know where that is, just off A11....easy run to most sites!

If your north Norfolk based you probably not a million miles from me. Try out combat action games (cag). Great woodland site, lots of friendly folks. Games every fortnighs with a mixed variety of style. Some days fast paced quick games. Other days it's more mission based or milsim light. 

The owners also run the CAG shop at the Dixon centre in Norwich. 

Welcome me to the rest of your life broke. 

Should also mentiom you have skirmish at plumstead road and battleground airsoft at necton. Theres battlestations at snetterton if you fancy more cqb. 

Also if you need gear. See the guys at hoopers army surplus in Norwich. They offer 10% off to airsofter said and ex forces. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MaccyD

Well, i had my first go last weekend at Combat Airsoft just off the A11 and loved it. Was great fun, i learnt alot already about equipment to focus on, what not to worry about so much, and what to pick up next! First stop is Hoopers in Norwich to try and get boots, trousers and a top or 2. Also going to head over to CAG hopefully and handle a few guns, give myself an idea of what i would like to purchase once my UKARA stuff is all sorted in a couple months.

Hi maccy, a late welcome to the forum from me, lol better late then never.. 

Definitely sounds like you had a great first game, and no better way to learn and get experience is doing it hands on. This the addition is going to properly start lol.. 

Happy shooting. 

ATB Marc

Guest MaccyD

What i found oddly enjoyable was when i got shot (not too many times fortunately!) and made a call with a marshall nearby, they congratulated me said good call, good gameplay etc. It was weird, it made dieing ok because youre contributing to the game if that makes sense. But yeah i loved it, got a bunch of kills, died a bunch of times, learnt the pain of being shot on the knuckle, dived in bushes, crawled along the floor. What a blast! lol

8 hours ago, MaccyD said:

What i found oddly enjoyable was when i got shot (not too many times fortunately!) and made a call with a marshall nearby, they congratulated me said good call, good gameplay etc. It was weird, it made dieing ok because youre contributing to the game if that makes sense. But yeah i loved it, got a bunch of kills, died a bunch of times, learnt the pain of being shot on the knuckle, dived in bushes, crawled along the floor. What a blast! lol

(relevant text highlighted)

Wait till you get your gucci camo. You won't so much as crouch in the mud

• Moderators
20 hours ago, MaccyD said:

did they play the game where you come out of the landing craft and race towards the ridge to place the small flags?

only time ive run that fast towards enemy fire slid in my gear....but shot 15+ while lying along the bottom of the ridge before I got taken out while reloading!....:lol::lol:

Welcome to the Norfolk master race* (NFN). We're definitely luck for sites. I'd recommend CAG but my new favourite is Battlestations!

Hoopers is alright. The owner is good (though the other staff are a bit grumpy) and there's some good stuff but it's quite expensive (even with 10% off). Beckets on Dereham road is also decent but with a smaller supply of surplus - more camping stuff. There's a surplus store on the market that's cheap - good for uniforms, everything else is Kombat gear.

*I'm not actually originally from Norfolk so I'm a dirty foreigner!

With hoopers be sure to mention your an airsofter though. Just so they know to apply the discount.

You and me both @lisjreg . I am from many borders away lol. Still not fully accepted locally even after 10+ years

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Iisjreg said:

There's a surplus store on the market that's cheap - good for uniforms, everything else is Kombat gear.

yeah top end of the market, usually, good deal on belts, last time i was there, generic ones for day to day wear :) 

Archived