Upgrades for CA M15A4

rounduk
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I am looking at potential upgrades to my CA M15A4 - it's quite an old AEG, probably purchased around 2003/2004, its the one that came with the correct Armalite markings.

My first plan is to change up my 8.4v batteries for some 9.2v - I always remember the guy advising a beefier battery when I first bought it, I can't remember why though?! Although using it this weekend the current crane 8.4v I bought when I changed stock seemed to run sluggish, especially when I trying to hammer out some single shot! I experienced some trigger lock up too, but i think that's because I was probably short pulling.

Can anyone recommend some suitable upgrades and the order I should address them? I want to improve the rifle a bit, but keep it suitable for playing at places like The Mall (so under 340?)

I am not sure of how good these CA units were out of the box...

Thanks!

First little job done, I had an inline fuse and a tamiya to deans converter - I get the feeling there was some resistance here, the fuse was glowing on rapid single shot!

It's all gone now and a deans soldered on - amazing the difference in trigger response...wow!

Bought myself a chrono so I could understand where I was at, average 261 fps.

Can anyone suggest upgrades to get up into the 300-340 mark? Should I start with the spring, or am I better off addressing sealing issues withe cylinder etc? Although over 10 shots the diff between min and max was no more than 9fps.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, rounduk said:

Bought myself a chrono so I could understand where I was at, average 261 fps.

Can anyone suggest upgrades to get up into the 300-340 mark? Should I start with the spring, or am I better off addressing sealing issues withe cylinder etc? Although over 10 shots the diff between min and max was no more than 9fps.

I'd start with a new hop rubber. Chances are it's a bit old and buggered and not sealing very well any more. Plus it's the most effective thing you can change without opening the gearbox. If the hop isn't sealing you'll lose quite a few FPS so it's well worth starting there.

If you're looking at playing at the Mall then I'd look at an M90 spring if the hop rubber doesn't do the job. While you're got the gearbox apart to fit the spring then you could fit a new nozzle (with an o-ring for better airseal), then maybe a new cylinder head and/or piston head. None of it needs to cost the earth, @ak2m4 can sort you out with everything you'll need.

Archived