Noob with a G&G TR16 Top Tech should I upgrade??

Ian180p
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Guys,

I am a complete noob and would like some help. As per the title I have purchased a used G&G TR16 Top Tech version. My questions are the following:

Is it worth upgrading? It's just I find other people I play with are out shooting me? I know that they probably have hundreds of pounds worth of guns but if I could get more range for not too much money that would be a start. 

If the answer is yes to the upgrading then what upgrades?

Can I so the upgrades myself?

Thanks in advance

Ian

I'm familiar with that gun itself but I own a G&G Raider. Honestly, upgrading all depends on if you want to stick with that platform for a specific period of time and how much money you're willing to sink into it. Most guns need after market parts after a certain period of time of use.

For durability, you will want to shim the gearbox, correct the AoE, get some reliable bushings (G&G are known for bad "bronze" bushings) and improve the airseal. Improving the airseal is either replacing or fixing the air nozzle, piston head and cylinder head. These do not need to be replaced if the gun is firing consistent FPS! This will only ensure that all the air is being used to propel the projectile out of the chamber and not wasted. 

For accuracy, you can upgrade the hopup, barrel and bucking. G&G are known for having decent hopups and buckings so just upgrading the barrel to a 6.03 Prometheus would be a good upgrade in keeping it accurate. 

Now to improve FPS there are a few ways to do that. You can upgrade the springs, gears, motors and spring guides. It all depends on whether you just want FPS, range, trigger response, rate of fire! 

I will say that if its the model I believe that comes with a Mosfet that G&G Mosfets are notorious for being unsatisfactory so if you get into teching your rifle enough and brave enough to solder then this is something that you should upgrade. Including converting to Deans connectors as their more durable than Tamiya.  

As its used and you say you are being out shot i would say makes sure its working healthily before you go 'upgrading' ;)

What does it chrono at? (is there and air seal issue / is the main spring worn?)

Is the bucking in good condition? (is it worn / caked in silicone / damaged?)

Is the barrel clean and straight?

Hop quality and FPS are the biggest offenders for being out shot!

Start there, the original barrel isnt bad, as ParagonJenko says - the MosFETs are though!

Hi ParagonJenko,

Thanks for the response. I am interested in FPS, range, trigger response and rate  of fire to be honest. Which order to do them in is the question. How much do the middle of the road upgrade parts cost?  I am happy to solder where required I have already changed the Tamiya to Dean's for the battery connection. How do I swap the mosfet? Where abouts do I find it in the gun? What mosfet should I install and where would be the best yo purchase one from?

13 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

As its used and you say you are being out shot i would say makes sure its working healthily before you go 'upgrading' ;)

What does it chrono at? (is there and air seal issue / is the main spring worn?)

Is the bucking in good condition? (is it worn / caked in silicone / damaged?)

Is the barrel clean and straight?

Hop quality and FPS are the biggest offenders for being out shot!

Start there, the original barrel isnt bad, as ParagonJenko says - the MosFETs are though!

I've already heard the original barrels on G&G's were not bad but not excellent! I could be wrong as I know little about the TR16 Top Tech just a general consensus from the community and research.

Edit: I also believe its a 6.08mm G&G does as its stock unless otherwise stated? And running a 6.03mm tightbore barrel can help give him a little more accuracy.

1 minute ago, Ian180p said:

Hi ParagonJenko,

Thanks for the response. I am interested in FPS, range, trigger response and rate  of fire to be honest. Which order to do them in is the question. How much do the middle of the road upgrade parts cost?  I am happy to solder where required I have already changed the Tamiya to Dean's for the battery connection. How do I swap the mosfet? Where abouts do I find it in the gun? What mosfet should I install and where would be the best yo purchase one from?

To start with, as Davegolf and myself mentioned, focus on the durability tasks I mentioned and from there you can diagnose what may be wrong with it. If it fires consistent FPS and with a good range then you can see where you would like to go from there. At least then you will have a stable platform to be able to build up from.

• Supporters
46 minutes ago, ParagonJenko said:

I'm familiar with that gun itself but I own a G&G Raider. Honestly, upgrading all depends on if you want to stick with that platform for a specific period of time and how much money you're willing to sink into it. Most guns need after market parts after a certain period of time of use.

For durability, you will want to shim the gearbox, correct the AoE, get some reliable buckings (G&G are known for bad "bronze" buckings) and improve the airseal. Improving the airseal is either replacing or fixing the air nozzle, piston head and cylinder head. These do not need to be replaced if the gun is firing consistent FPS! This will only ensure that all the air is being used to propel the projectile out of the chamber and not wasted. 

For accuracy, you can upgrade the hopup, barrel and bucking. G&G are known for having decent hopups and buckings so just upgrading the barrel to a 6.03 Prometheus would be a good upgrade in keeping it accurate. 

Now to improve FPS there are a few ways to do that. You can upgrade the springs, gears, motors and spring guides. It all depends on whether you just want FPS, range, trigger response, rate of fire! 

I will say that if its the model I believe that comes with a Mosfet that G&G Mosfets are notorious for being unsatisfactory so if you get into teching your rifle enough and brave enough to solder then this is something that you should upgrade. Including converting to Deans connectors as their more durable than Tamiya.  

Think you mean bushings sir.

Dont want to be confusing anyone.

Clean the barrel, check for a decent air seal. The usual reason for being 'out shot' is because you're still using 0.2g BBs. Get some 0.25s, but preferably 0.28g and try that before you start tearing your only gun apart.

Maybe I was mis informed but I thought the top techs had 6.04s

They are certainly capable of shooting better than most AEGs in stock form.

They def lack ROF if that was a necessity, a quick fix for that would be an 11.1V

Either way get it running stock as it should, if your around 330fps use 0.25, if around 350 you can send 0.28s

Archived