turning an IF to a RIF

yehboi
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am looking to get my UKARA license sometime in the next few months. As far as i'm aware, to do this you need to play 3 games at a UKARA registered airsoft site with a two tone airsoft gun. After getting the UKARA you can then purchase a RIF. But, rather than me use my two tone gun for 3 games and then buy a black gun (because nobody wants to go airsofting with a bright orange gun), is it illegal for me to spray my two tone gun black (after owning a UKARA). I've seen this topic being discussed on other threads and most people have said it's illegal to spray an IF to a RIF but haven't specified whether having a UKARA license makes a difference. And if it is illegal, how will anyone be able to tell (assuming you've done a moderatley good paint job and can't see any of the original two tone) 

5 minutes ago, yehboi said:

I am looking to get my UKARA license sometime in the next few months. As far as i'm aware, to do this you need to play 3 games at a UKARA registered airsoft site with a two tone airsoft gun. After getting the UKARA you can then purchase a RIF. But, rather than me use my two tone gun for 3 games and then buy a black gun (because nobody wants to go airsofting with a bright orange gun), is it illegal for me to spray my two tone gun black (after owning a UKARA). I've seen this topic being discussed on other threads and most people have said it's illegal to spray an IF to a RIF but haven't specified whether having a UKARA license makes a difference. And if it is illegal, how will anyone be able to tell (assuming you've done a moderatley good paint job and can't see any of the original two tone) 

Firstly, just to be pedantic. - You don't have to play the games with YOUR gun, as long as you play 3 games over the set time period, that's all you need.

After you have a UKARA you can do whatever the hell you want with your gun (Yes anything, paint a pink and black snake camo on it for all I care). Except make it non-site legal or above UK power limits :P

A misconception about UKARA is that it is a legal government license, which it is not.

It is a voluntary license we airsofters and airsoft retailers abide by to prove our defence for having / buying a RIF, handy way to let shops know you're a proven player that won't go and hold up the local corner shop!

It is however illegal to own these without a defence, this can be anything from a film making license to a UKARA.

Hope this helps clear some stuff up!

(It's really straight forward and people tend to get bogged on the details)

TL;DR - get it, do whatever the f**k you want with your gun :) 

• Head Moderator

Correction to the above.  There is no license.  UKARA is a retailer database, you get added to it and issued with a UKARA number.

1 minute ago, Jedi_Master said:

Correction to the above.  There is no license.  UKARA is a retailer database, you get added to it and issued with a UKARA number.

Good spot, force of habit to call is a "license".

Cheers

• Supporters
9 hours ago, Corky2110 said:

It is however illegal to own [RIFs] without a defence

Just to be pedantic, no it's not.  Neither is it illegal to obtain or attempt to obtain a RIF (as long as you're 18+).

It's illegal to:

1) Modify an IF into a RIF, unless you have a defence.

2) Possess an IF or a RIF in public, unless you have a reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on [us])

In both cases, the defence or excuse is the same: for the purpose of an airsoft skirmish at an insured site.

If you can't adduce a defence to converting a two-tone into a RIF, you shouldn't transport it in public, because that's the only time where it will be an issue.

• 10 months later...
  • Supporters

I do love trawling through the forum after a wee contretemps has popped up to see what caused it ! 😂😂😂

Archived