upgrading externals on my cyma

kubskihqs
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hi guys i have a cyma cm 515 right now its my first aeg and i have few questions regarding external upgrades. here are links of everything i want to get next week but im not sure if its gonna fit/work with my aeg. also i want to upgrade the internals but i have no idea where to start. money is not a problem but dont tell me go get a new gun i want to build this one thanks.

links :

b tube: http://www.taiwangun.com/en/stocks-and-accesories/receiver-extension-m4-buffer-tube-boyi

recievers: http://www.taiwangun.com/en/metal-parts/metal-body-for-m4-m16-pj

hand guard: http://www.taiwangun.com/en/ris-i-ras-i-sir/10-free-float-rail-set-for-m-series

Don't bother.

It's an £80 gun, you have £90 worth of externals there that may or may not fit. You could easy spend another £90 on internals.

M4 rails are notorious for needing work doing to them to fit correctly. The nut the rail sits on is variable by manufacturer and gun model.

Added to that you get to "triggers broom".

Upgrade the body, handguard, stock, most of the gearbox parts and what is left that is actually original?

That £180 saved could go directly towards a new gun. Add a little more to it and you could have one of the G&G ETU M4's.

• Supporters
21 minutes ago, Iceni said:

Don't bother.

It's an £80 gun, you have £90 worth of externals there that may or may not fit. You could easy spend another £90 on internals.

M4 rails are notorious for needing work doing to them to fit correctly. The nut the rail sits on is variable by manufacturer and gun model.

Added to that you get to "triggers broom".

Upgrade the body, handguard, stock, most of the gearbox parts and what is left that is actually original?

That £180 saved could go directly towards a new gun. Add a little more to it and you could have one of the G&G ETU M4's.

I'll counter this by saying I've put £50 into externals for my CM16 so far and consider it completely worth it. 

Performance isn't everything and creating your dream gun is a very rewarding experience. 

Though if all you care about is shooting faster/farther then sure.. save the money for upgrading. 

why are you wanting to change the buffertube?
Looking at the bits you want to replace, you make no sense to stay with the same AEG, just buy one that performs better (Krytac)

• Supporters

To be brutally honest a CM515 & CM16 are like like comparing say...

A 2005 Fiat Punto Vs a 2005 Ford Fiesta like for like

Both will get you from AtoB but the Punto is not quite the same like for like

CM515

Sure it is your gun & all that but just keep it in perspective I think is the answer

To start replacing stuff like receiver & stuff is imho way beyond the realms of common sense

Add a sight, or better sights if the plastic ones bust

Add a better flash hider if you like, it has ccw thread

but the std flash hider is just pushed on, so if/when it falls off then yeah ok replace it

Buffer tube is plastic, if/when that breaks then replace it

But don't go nutz I think is the message

Most external "upgrades" can be re-used on your next gun I think Gepard is saying/meaning

No harm putting your own mark or making your gun your own....

But ffs - don't go nutz chucking too much money into stuff or a gun that isn't worth it imho

CM515 & others are the best bang for your buck if you are really on a very tight budget

Probably best M4 out there under £100

BUT please ffs don't sink loads of dosh into it - I really don't think it is worth it

use it for what it is, a good cheapo gun

spending money/time on these cheapo CM5xx is not really worth it

They are still not quite in the exact same league as the G&G starters

it is all about keeping it under control than sink loads of money into your first gun

Buy sensible accessories you can take with you onto your next gun

(plus ones you really want/need than ones you think you might be a good idea)

We have all been there, listen to some advice a little bit, reflect and then decide

Heck, your gun, your money, but maybe ease up on the pimping/upgrade plans a sec

Get out, use the damn thing for what it is and enjoy it

Maybe get a spare - these toy guns do have a habit of letting you down

That spare can loan to a friend or saves you missing out if your main gun craps out

Happy shooting

you guys didnt get what i mean i do t want to pimp it out i want to build a gun based on this cm 515 but after a month there wont be a part left from cyma im gonna change everything and i want to start with externals since its all cheap plastic even the buffer tube like one guy asked why i want to change it. im gonna change most of the internals around end of march its gonna be a different gun by then 

18 minutes ago, kubskihqs said:

you guys didnt get what i mean i do t want to pimp it out i want to build a gun based on this cm 515 but after a month there wont be a part left from cyma im gonna change everything and i want to start with externals since its all cheap plastic even the buffer tube like one guy asked why i want to change it. im gonna change most of the internals around end of march its gonna be a different gun by then 

So what you're saying is you want to replace ALL the externals, and most of the internals... 

As a you are new to teching I would advise against this, however you won't be replacing the the body, what you'll be doing is taking out the gearbox and putting it in a new gun, building form the ground up essentially, would that be a much clearer explanation of what you wish to achieve?

To which I counter your request for parts upgrades and say, buy a new gun that's good out the box.

Cyma, as much they are good starter guns, they are not much more than that.

You can get guns with nice bodies and mid tier internals that will sit well above your cyma in terms of performance.

This way you don't have to frustrate yourself over building the gun (not as easy as it sounds if you're new!)

Otherwise externals and internals for a ground up build can run you (on the cheapest but good performance parts) between £200-500 (pulling the 500 out my back-side but you could get to that if you tried)

1 minute ago, kubskihqs said:

i want to replace the gearbox too its the next thing i want to buy and a new motor as i heard cm515 motor is just crap and slow 

Gonna be blunt, the whole gun is starter level material mate. It's not the best, "it'll do" is a term I would use for a half decent hire gun.

When I said new internals, I meant the gearbox...

I would highly suggest a new mid tier to high end gun, what you're after is a new gun full stop. the only thing you haven't mentioned replacing is the outer barrel.

If you are set on having a project gun, and you don't want any of the old body or old gearbox, toss it aside and start again, you can't build on to a house if you demolish it first, so find a new plot.

(You can get drop in gearboxes that are fairly decent but I will list the pieces, there is FAR too much info on all listed items here for me or anyone else to get into, take each part and start doing some research on what works with what and the theory behind using them)

-=Externals of the gun=-

Outer barrel

Buffer tube  + stock

Receiver (upper + lower)

Hand guard

Pistol grip

Muzzle.

-=Barrel assembly=-

Inner barrel

Hop unit

Hop rubber

Hop nub

-=Gearbox=-

Gear set

Trigger switch assembly (usually comes with wires)

Selector switch

Cut-off lever

trigger

Motor

Shim set

An empty gearbox

Bushings (if they are not included in the gearbox)

Spring guide

Spring

Piston

Piston head

Cylinder

Cylinder head

Nozzle

Tappet plate

Various greases to add to certain parts

I'm sorry I could not be much help, but a ground up build requires far to much info, I can safely say I've read over 100 forum threads on different theories of gearbox parts and barrel physics (yes you will find topics on physics and airsofters actually do some math!)

I will paste a link bellow for a "recommended parts list" you should look into.

But again to recap, you gotta do some research on the parts before you put it in the gun, and understand how everything works.

Good luck,

https://www.reddit.com/r/airsoft/comments/29h0sw/recommended_brandsparts_list/

Just now, kubskihqs said:

thanks man thats what i wanted some useful information not others telling me to buy a new aeg thats too easy 

As mentioned though, there is also a too hard way also haha. 

Possibly consider buying a drop in gearbox, and down the line do minor upgrades as you go to it :) 

5 minutes ago, kubskihqs said:

If you read the manufacturer the first and 3rd are by CYMA, so the same as yours (first is a V2 gearbox, 3rd is a V3, it is important to know which you need).

The 2nd is APS (same tier as cyma basically) and the 4th has a good shell but I can only bet the internals are cack.

If you want a good shell look at G&P, Lonex (the best), Ares, JG, Classic Army, VFC. 

If you want drop in gearbox have a look at complete ones IN the uk, as a lot of times uk airsoft retails don't tend to sell you the cheap stuff (make more money that way).

I'll also politely ask that you don't keep coming back with "is this good" for every part as that would take days.

Once you find a gearbox and other parts in your price range, (wouldn't recommend taiwangun for parts for your internals as it's all cheap stuff and you get what you pay for).

Google it, say you find a fair priced G&P gearbox, "G&P gearbox review" if that yields nothing delve deeper! Are the gears any good (short answer no, they're weak AF), is the piston any good? etc etc.

Doing this you'll also understand how a gearbox works in the end hopefully :) perhaps even start with watching a few vids on how to disassemble a gearbox to give you an idea of how it all comes together.

The info is already out there, I even gave you a parts list recommendation page (kept up to date), I won't be answering any thoughts on certain parts due to the build size.

Good luck finding what you need, all the guides and info on parts is already out there. just one google search away.. (WARNING lots of reading, and no shortcuts available).

• Supporters

What you propose is basically this.....

Or buy a Krytac

Seriously - after you have upgraded everything what are you going to do with all ye olde bits

I know I'll build a Cyma CM515 !!!

(ergh you already had one of those in the beginning)

Your Taiwangun link - the Cyma v2 box is the best & most robust of all

You already have one inside your CM515

Actually it is slightly slightly different version than the £50 one

in fact your CM515 has extra re-enforcement around cylinder area

(so much you can't slip a bare piston through the window like all other V2 boxes)

((v3 boxes you can't slip bare pistons through gearbox window either))

But that £50 Cyma v2 box in black is same box used in higher end Cyma & P&J guns

Even then that £50 box comes with a $hit motor - same as what is in the CM515

Will almost certainly have a plastic single metal tooth piston

Cylinder head that falls out, no o-ring nozzle

Nearly all boxes will be 18:1 gears with 4 lug AR Latch

Might have a bearing spring guide though

But will need opening up, rewiring, reshimming and AoE etc...

So there is no great box off the shelf tbh

D-Boys have 7mm bushings, if it has 7mm bearings then replace for 7mm bushings

The APS is nice but disable the blowback

use a sorbo coz the APS one is a bit weaker for cracking

All 3 boxes will need modding to fit in 13:1 gears - 16:1 is limit

or you grind away the "arc" on one side so spur doesn't catch

All three v2's will need modding for higher speed gears

Cyma v3 box - no problem fitting faster gears in - just won't fit in M4

You might be tempted to look at buying a v2 with micro-switch

That could have a bespoke tappet plate & trigger also

MUST get a mosfet for micro-switch boxes cox them switches burn out

(much quicker than ye olde traditional trigger switches)

So yeah I'd resist the urge to buy a v2 with micro-switch myself

Really hard to recommend a box off the shelf as is

I mean Lonex do one - but a complete box is about £140 retail WTF !!!

C'mon, keep it real ffs in a £70 gun

Buy a Specna Arms - not CORE coz they are plastic receivers

but something like this...

https://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152210320-SA-B12-KeyMod-8-Carbine-Replica-Half-Tan.html

Still won't be perfect out of box: no mosfet, could do with some tweaks later down the road

But at least that would be a gun worth putting in the time/effort etc....

Upgrade - when $hit breaks, don't bother ripping stuff apart just to go nutz upgrading $hit

Most of the time - quite a fair bit of the time these upgrades don't always go to plan

(even if you know a little bit about what you are doing)

Often $hit is not 101% TM compatible, super duper hop units & buckings don't always fit perfectly

Prowin/Mad Bull stuff doesn't make you gun work better or as good as you thought/hoped

(But does make your wallet lighter)

Slap all the upgrades inside your box and listen to it rip the $hit out itself

coz of bad shimming & $hit assembly & lack of experience

The gearbox on the CM515 is one of the best things about it for the price

You got a £45 value box & slow motor & then for £25 you got the rest of gun

By the time you have pimped it all out you might as well just bought the Specna Arms

But like we say - up to you, your gun, your money, your time & your choice

Best of luck

PS if you have a 2-tone IF and seeking to make a RIF that is dodgy

there are options like applying camo tape & wotnot if trying to get away from blue/black

(you can remove tape blah blah blah)

But be careful on the legal side of things if you seek to turn a 2-tone IF into a RIF

We can't help you on this as this goes against the VCRA/UKARA regulations

We can only advise on matters that stay within the realms of UK law

(and common sense upgrades)

What you're proposing to do is an excellent way to spend quite a lot of money on a selection of mediocre parts that may not actually fit together very well. (voice of experience).

Save yourself a gut load of hassle and get a serious head start on owning a really nice Airsoft gun... Buy something that is good to start with and work from there. Spend a couple of hundred quid on something that alrea has excellent externals and solid internals and tweak and tune that. It'll be a lot cheaper in the long run, work better, look better and be a lot more satisfying to own. Good Airsoft guns are about 30% the parts you buy and mostly the way those parts are put together.

From personal experience get a new gun. Not saying dont do what your doing, I love to tinker, but when your new, those gearboxes dont always go back together as planned. I once put a gun back together (i only shimmed it) misalligned the hop and the bbs spun off to the right after 20m, luckily I had my back up. Have a gun to skirmish while the project gun sits in bits and you grumble about compatability :) maybe the CYMA is the back up and start by getting a project gun that has theouter parts you want?

I didnt just get parts but tools too that I didnt even think I'd need!

It may be cheaper to buy a boneyard gun with the parts you want, then strip it and add what you want.

ok guys i startes the project i ordered all the externals and next month i will get lonex drop in gearbox and lonex motor im thinking about hop up unit and inner barrel now last im gonna try to put the mosfet and buy a lipo but for now im gonna stay with my nimh 

1 hour ago, kubskihqs said:

im also gonna record it all if you guys interested im not gonna cut out any failures if there is any if you guys know any good drop in hop up units please let me know thanks

Technically speaking there is no such thing as a drop in hop up..
You get a hop unit (the housing of the full assembly), the bucking/rubber (which usually comes with a nub, but most buy their own one).#

There are plenty of hop-units out there, too many in fact, go for something in your price range and metal and it'll be fine.

Cheapest hop rubber that will do you well I'd say the G&G green and nub included (flat hop mod and you'll be soaring) -  very easy to do.

And barrel.. now...  there's talk on what's best for this but I have always had good results (in budget builds) with a ZCI tightbore.

You can get much better ones like Edgi, PDI, Prometheus and madbull steel, however I have always had good results with ZCI.

Good luck, I hope the build goes well. - Last note, TAKE YOUR TIME :)

• Supporters

The first thing I'd suggest that  you do is to strip your gun right down to its components parts so that you're clear on what's in there and how it all goes together.  It's a very satisfying process in and of itself.

Once you're confident in taking it apart and putting it back together - and get some pictures and measurements of the components while you're in there - then you can start swapping things around with a bit more confidence.

Archived