TM Recoil Shock 416D Upgrade Reliability Advice

Katana
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So after a lot of research, I've seen many people talk about this and that when it comes to upgrading the recoil shocks and I just want a straight answer from someone that owns one. I do not really care about upgrading trigger response and such because I believe it is perfectly adequate and am waiting for the Gate Titan NGRS release later on this year and maybe early next but until then I can wait. 

What I want, is to upgrade the fps and accuracy/range but keep or improve the notorious reliability of this HK416 Delta/all tm rs. This is where I come to a crossroads, what exactly do I need to do to keep this thing running well for years. I just want around 340fps or slightly under.

Is the PDI 6.05 barrel better in terms of accuracy than the prommy 6.03 and if possible, how can I get hold of an EDGI barrel?

Do I need to 100% replace the bushings and which ones should I go with? 

Does the spring guide need replacing?

Does the nozzle have an o-ring in it and is it worth upgrading to create a better air seal for better fps variation?

Are the gears needing to be replaced?

Should I correct AOE? I have airlab sorbo/neoprene pads handy

Is it worth reshimming? Sounds pretty good already to me but up for anything

I'm looking to flat hop the bucking and add a firefly nub, should I stick with the TM bucking to flat hop or get the prommy purple/maple leaf one?

I've been using the facebook tm recoil page for ages and reddit scouring it trying to find solid decisions and everyone has got a different opinion so I thought I'd just make a post to just get a straight answer for once. Thanks.

• Supporters

Put a new spring in it, keep the gears exactly as they are and leave the bushings alone. 

All it’ll take is a new m100 spring to get what you want.

leave the inner barrel alone as well, there’s a reason TM barrels go for more than new Prometheus/EDGI on the Japanese second hand market; they’re better. 

I have never once seen a set of TM nylon bushings fail, I’ve seen LOADS of deformed Prometheus ones and the SHS/ZCI/whatever offerings aren’t nearly as good as Prometheus.  

The advice you’ll get on the TM Group is 99% from people who either haven’t upgraded their guns, or who have just stuffed the most expensive parts in under the assumption that’ll give them the best gun. It won’t, TM have been making Airsoft guns for literally decades and have assembled and sold hundreds of thousands, their ‘lemon’ rate is basically zero because they know exactly what they’re doing, far more so than Steve from Facebook who likes to brag that he’s got a £400 of parts  in his gun that doesn’t shoot any further than it did before. 

• Head Moderator

Have you tried using the search tool?  The answer may be there, although I do not remember any upgrades like you are suggesting.  Most leave internals pretty stock and upgrade spring and/or fit BTC Spectre.

You can achieve 340 with M95.

For reliability at 340fps minimum parts required;

Gear set (Will require re shim and motor height adjustment)

High quality greases

Stock, PDI 6.05 and Prommy 6.03 are all good barrels, results are subjective, the latter barrels boast slightly better results at range and longer life due to SS.

Ive found 4mm of sorbo to be nice in these. By 4mm I mean the cylinder head sits in the cylinder 6mm, so 4mm on top, taking up 10mm of cylinder space.

What you have suggested for the hop/bucking is good and gives great results.

Its a slippery slope upgrading, do the minimum, work hard on your hop and test with chrono.

See how you feel about the guns performance at that point.

• Supporters

My brothers TM M4 CQBR came from FireSupport with their upgrade package. This included Deans connectors, spring upgrade to 340fps and ASG ultimate gear set. 

This gun has had 20-30k rounds through it and still fires superbly, and still has an incredible range compared to most guns on the field.

I really appreciate the help guys. I know jcheeseright has worked on a number of TM Recoil Shocks and tbh I'm at the point in airsoft where I am not as fussed with performance and just want the thing to work, have a decent fps so I can use heavier ammo and have an acceptable trigger response so that I wont lockup every 5 seconds when I spam the trigger which doesn't happen to me on the 416 as long as I pull the trigger all the way through and let it fully reset as well. 

I will follow your advice and purchase an M100 spring and I might chuck a cheeky flat nub in there and a prommy purple + AOE correction because I suppose it can only help but that is all. Hopefully it will last me for a while and if anything fails, I'll just upgrade it as I go when replacing what's broken. 

Thanks guys.

Archived