L86 upgrades?

Tristan Orr
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys,

I know a bit about this gun as I own one, but I was just after some advise on upgrade? I got a new hop rubber first thing I do to any new gun.

But I was speaking to a few people at a different site to my regular one today and they all use Lipo, one of the guy recommended me to use a 7.4V 2100 lipo. Not sure if the gear box and piston would be able to handle it?

Also I'm looking at putting a tightbore barrel in, I've seen a few guys have put a 650mm or 640mm 6.03/6.01 in there L86, but not sure if the barrel would stick out of the flash hider...

Cheers

Tristan

You rang? :D

(Ok, I'll stop being arrogant...)

My Saytie is currently at the chop-shop under overhaul.

Pistons - its ICS - ICS pistons aren't well known for their reliability. Pretty leaky - but this isn't always the case. Mine has just failed - after pumping a good 7-8 thousand rounds in 7-9 months, the piston has started to fail, dropping a grand 122 FPS. (This is the main reason why she's in the chop-shop). Some ICS pistons are duds right from the off. Others, like mine, can take a lot of abuse before hitting the dust.

Barrels - I put a 590mm barrel in. You can easily put a 605-610 in (the actual barrel length) but atm, you need to cut down a 650 (something I'm not a fan of, but then I'm not really technically minded)

But - you need to sort out the hop-up. Having talked to a few ICS SA80 owners, most of them suffer from 'over-hop'. Even with the hop-up turned completely off, rounds sky rocket upwards after a certain distance - with me, this is very annoying, as I can't get any use out of the tightbore. This is because the hop arm is too long by 1-2 mm. This is the other reason why my LSW is in the very capable hands of my local airsoft shop's gun smith - I wanted someone who knew what he was doing to trim down the arm.

I'm not a fan of Lipos - after one I had a few years back in an RC car went KaBooom on me. That said, I was young and inexperienced, so that was probably it. But if normal batteries are working fine for you, stick to them.

Hope this is of use.

Well, my piston has had round 4000 round through it atm, more to come ;) But it was something I was looking as upgrading. The barrel I've had someone with alot more experience on airsoft gun tell me to stick a 590 in it.

As to the hop-up, I had a problem right out of the box, but I stuck a systema hop rubber in it and the gun just rockets bb out, I've got about 65-70m range on it the only issue is im getting a 5-7" spread with 0.25 at that range on 360fps.

Ya I'll think I will lay off the lipo until there is a gun made for them :)

Ya I'll think I will lay off the lipo until there is a gun made for them :)

Yes, from what I've read, just because a certain airsoft company's boxes say "Lipo ready", doesn't necessarly mean that they are...

Hell, one of the batteries I have is too powerful. It isn't anywhere near Lipo standards, but it basically doubles my trigger pulls - a quick tap on semi results in 2 rounds (it isn't double feeding, the thing is literally acting like I fired twice)

I'm not sure on piston mods/replacements. I've been told that its usually a good idea to change the air-seals ASAP on any ICS piston. As for hop-up, ICS supply really soft hop rubbers with their guns incase someone uses really cheap and awful bbs in it - so its a good idea to change it for something pretty strong (which you have, so you're clear ^^, )

Archived