Opening a shop

Jay jay
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I'd heard that many rif retailers had gone down the route of becoming "licensed firearms retailers", I.E. getting the licenses & accreditation that would cover them for all "gun" related kit, which also covers blanks & pyro with 4.1 accreditation .

• Supporters

Best of luck, and I wouldn't get too hung up on the minutiae, since it can be impossible to comply.

See if you can spot the flaws in the UKARA retailer process: http://ukara.org.uk/#retailer

1. Applicants must have verifiable commercial premises.

2. Must retail Airsoft products as one of their main product lines.

3. Must have a business cheque account.

4. Shall have a business insurance policy relating Airsoft to protect the retailer, employee and the customer with public liability.

5. Must provide 2 Trade References from Airsoft Retailers or Wholesalers.

6. Must have all the first 5 points before making an application.

So... you have to be an established trader before can become a trader?  As near as I can make out, they expect you to flog two-tones until you get going - or to sell RIFs at your own risk - then apply for access to the UKARA database.

Also, how on earth can a business insurance policy provide public liability cover for customers?  I do not think that means what they think that it means.

54 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Best of luck, and I wouldn't get too hung up on the minutiae, since it can be impossible to comply.

See if you can spot the flaws in the UKARA retailer process: http://ukara.org.uk/#retailer

1. Applicants must have verifiable commercial premises.

2. Must retail Airsoft products as one of their main product lines.

3. Must have a business cheque account.

4. Shall have a business insurance policy relating Airsoft to protect the retailer, employee and the customer with public liability.

5. Must provide 2 Trade References from Airsoft Retailers or Wholesalers.

6. Must have all the first 5 points before making an application.

So... you have to be an established trader before can become a trader?  As near as I can make out, they expect you to flog two-tones until you get going - or to sell RIFs at your own risk - then apply for access to the UKARA database.

Also, how on earth can a business insurance policy provide public liability cover for customers?  I do not think that means what they think that it means.

I know that some if not all Wholesales that sell Airsoft products won't even give you prices of their items unless you have a valid business in trading for at least 6 months. Which i find confusing.. as how are you meant to sell Airsoft products if no one will sell you the stock......

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

The business needs insurance that covers its liability for responsibilities over its staff and the customer

For appropriate situations such as trips & falls your shop displays fall down and crush your customer, and anything business specific 

Not holding the shop liable for what their customers do, but insuring the customers from anything the shop is liable for 

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/02/2018 at 8:30 AM, Jay jay said:

Hi, I'm looking into opening an airsoft business but i am wondering about the legal issues and requirements for the(uk). Thanks.

What previous experience do you have with starting and or running a business?

Do you have the necessary capital and funds to be able to run at potential loss or stalemate for the first 9-12 months?

does the market research you’ve (I assume) gathered for your area and closely surrounding areas suggest that a fixed shop will do as well as/better than an online retailer?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have many years experience in running a business, Capital is not a problem, The nearest airsoft shops to me is 60 miles apart, I live smack bang in the middle (so 30 miles each direction)... I have UKARA so I can buy black airsoft guns  BUT what do I need to sell them,?????

The Law dose not seem to be clear

On 3/7/2018 at 8:17 PM, Jay jay said:

Hi, I have many years experience in running a business, Capital is not a problem, The nearest airsoft shops to me is 60 miles apart, I live smack bang in the middle (so 30 miles each direction)... I have UKARA so I can buy black airsoft guns  BUT what do I need to sell them,?????

Although I don't sell AEG's I did look into it a few years ago.  There didn't seem to be any law or requirement enabling you to be a retailer.  For importation, your defense is that you're an established retailer.  A few years back now so who knows.....

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Our very own @CES_williamson started his shop  (SWAS Airsoft) about a year or so ago, and seems to be doing well from it. He's got lots of established brands in stock now.

While I'm sure he won't give away all his trade secrets, it could be worth sending him a PM for advice on how to get started as he did :)

On 3/7/2018 at 8:17 PM, Jay jay said:

I would imagine you just need stock, opting into the UKARA scheme would be your choice. There would be guidelines in place and recommendations regarding VCRA but these need to be looking into by a business adviser or lawyer.

No disrespect but if you have business experience why would you be asking a bunch of strangers on the internet advice about setting up another?  

First of all you need to find a distributor or go direct to suppliers/manufacturers and ask them if they would supply you before you go any further. If you cant get the stock you have no store!!

Archived