Brand new gun broken?

adengtg
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, bought an APS Asr112R2 from taiwan gun the other week. £183 brand new, full metal and EBB but nothing special really. got it home and was working fine. put it away while i get my batteries charged up and today when i plugged it in to test a 9.6V battery.... nothing. absolutely no response from the gun. was working perfectly and now, just nothing. I'd rather try to fix it myself as i cant see it being anything serious but what do you guys think? had anything like this happen before?

Check the fuse, and battery connections on the motor.

Failing that you are stripping the gun to look for broken wires. My money would be on a loose motor terminal.

Just now, Iceni said:

Check the fuse, and battery connections on the motor.

Failing that you are stripping the gun to look for broken wires. My money would be on a loose motor terminal.

right, gonna send a pic of the fuse because im inept. gimme a minute

Fuse should be a glass type, in a black connection box near the battery connector.

It opens sideways. Remove the fuse, clip the 2 wires together, and try again. If it shoots faulty fuse, if it doesn't check the motor connections and put the fuse back in place properly.

It's the black block near the battery connector on this image.

eng_pm_Replica-riffle-gun-ASR112R2-GUARD

3 minutes ago, Iceni said:

Fuse should be a glass type, in a black connection box near the battery connector.

It opens sideways. Remove the fuse, clip the 2 wires together, and try again. If it shoots faulty fuse, if it doesn't check the motor connections and put the fuse back in place properly.

It's the black block near the battery connector on this image.

eng_pm_Replica-riffle-gun-ASR112R2-GUARD

Got it, cant find my phone to take a pic but theres obviously no connection. maybe a bad idea but removed the fuse and put the connectors together sand seems to work fine. any idea on how to find the type of fuse to put in?

All of the airsoft shops sell them.

Go to your favorite and search for fuse.

It's only a bad idea to run the gun over a game without a fuse, For testing on single shot it's not going to harm anything, And is by far the fastest way of testing them. It's always good to have a few spares as well.

It should say on the fuse what Amps it is. It's normally embossed on the side of one of the metal ends.

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-switches-selectors-and-mosfets/asg-30-amp-glass-tube-fuses.htm#.WoIjD3xpHZI

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-switches-selectors-and-mosfets/asg-25-amp-glass-tube-fuses.htm#.WoIjDHxpHZI

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-switches-selectors-and-mosfets/asg-20-amp-glass-tube-fuses.htm#.WoIjDnxpHZI

17 minutes ago, Iceni said:

All of the airsoft shops sell them.

Go to your favorite and search for fuse.

It's only a bad idea to run the gun over a game without a fuse, For testing on single shot it's not going to harm anything, And is by far the fastest way of testing them. It's always good to have a few spares as well.

It should say on the fuse what Amps it is. It's normally embossed on the side of one of the metal ends.

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-switches-selectors-and-mosfets/asg-30-amp-glass-tube-fuses.htm#.WoIjD3xpHZI

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-switches-selectors-and-mosfets/asg-25-amp-glass-tube-fuses.htm#.WoIjDHxpHZI

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-switches-selectors-and-mosfets/asg-20-amp-glass-tube-fuses.htm#.WoIjDnxpHZI

Thanks alot dude, i fele like an idiot to be honest if it was only a fuse...

thanks for the help tho, really appreciate it!

i really hope i didnt f*ck it up by taking it apart. i now have to try to put it back together properly.

• Supporters

The first thing I'd do is to buy a basic £5 multimeter and watch some YouTube videos on how to test for voltage, resistance and continuity.  If you're going to do any electric / electronic work, it'll more than pay for itself in saved time.

• Supporters

The bigger question is why did the fuse blow in the first place? A 9.6v NiMH shouldn't have blown the fuse surely?

13 minutes ago, Lozart said:

why did the fuse blow in the first place? A 9.6v NiMH shouldn't have blown the fuse surely?

Depends on what the stock fuse is, What sort of quality it was, If it had any defects ect. The OEM is not going to use a quality fuse when they buy in bulk.

It's safer to replace like for like in ampage ratings, then work on a system of trial and improvement. If you constant blow the 20 amp then move up to a 25 and retest.

Resistance in this case should not be an issue, we draw near to the maximum ampage the batteries can deliver, So it is unlikley bad solder or a point of resistance causing the problem as all that does is current divide away from the motor. In a lower ampage circuit where you use resistance to draw a set current you might see problems, but that doesn't apply to airsoft.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Iceni said:

It's safer to replace like for like in ampage ratings, then work on a system of trial and improvement. If you constant blow the 20 amp then move up to a 25 and retest.

Errmmm....no. If the OEM has sized a specific rating of battery then (regardless of defects in the fuse) if the gun is working properly then it shouldn't blow fuses. It's SAFER to work out what has caused the fuse to blow in the first place than to use successively larger fuses until you've fitted a roofing nail and you're wondering why your motor has melted.

lol you are  wrong in this instance.

It's an original fuse, from the OEM. It's not a constantly blowing fuse, it's blown once from new, upon inserting a fully charged cell. You can't make assumptions about the circuit until you have replaced the faulty part, and then waited to see if it was indeed a bad part, or there is another fault on the system.

Uprating the fuse by 5 amps, is not a problem, It could be a simple oversight, and 25amps would still be standard for airsoft for a HS motor. It could be the OEM changed motors and didn't update the circuit. It happens. And it's certainly not the time to be making the OP think his gun might have a bigger fault that what is showing.

• Supporters
30 minutes ago, Iceni said:

lol you are  wrong in this instance.

It's an original fuse, from the OEM. It's not a constantly blowing fuse, it's blown once from new, upon inserting a fully charged cell. You can't make assumptions about the circuit until you have replaced the faulty part, and then waited to see if it was indeed a bad part, or there is another fault on the system.

Uprating the fuse by 5 amps, is not a problem, It could be a simple oversight, and 25amps would still be standard for airsoft for a HS motor. It could be the OEM changed motors and didn't update the circuit. It happens. And it's certainly not the time to be making the OP think his gun might have a bigger fault that what is showing.

OK, now if you'd said that in the first place then I would have agreed but the implication from your post was "fuses are sh*t just keep putting in a bigger one until it stops blowing".

I maintain though that there could well be another issue with the gun that made the fuse blow in the first place.

Archived