Have I been kidding myself?

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have been shooting (mainly airgun) for most of my adult life, and had airsoft been available when I was in my prime, I would certainly have been a keen player.

I am seventy years old, and never considered going to an airsoft site until I bought a two tone gbb pistol, because I liked the look of it. This got me onto a couple of airsoft forums asking for advice about lubrication etc. Inevitably I mentioned how much I regretted not being young enough to play the sport. The response I received from other forum members surprised me. They basically told me that lots of old geezers play airsoft and that I shouldn't be putoff giving it a try. I emailed First and Only at the Mill in Wigan to ask if there was an upper age limit for taking part. I received the reply that old people were welcome at the Mill.

This cheered me up for a while and I planned to go to one of the Saturday events (11am to 2 pm). Then I began to think again. Even men in their sixties would find it extremely difficult to run around for three hours. I know men in their forties and fifties who would. Would somebody like me just be a nuisance to other players, I wondered.  

However I have recently been watching some videos of games in progress, and a lot of people in them don't seem to be moving much. There seems to be an awful lot static shooting even in CQB games, and clearing rooms and buildings has to be approached carefully. 

Do the marshals at airsoft sites take into account age and experience when allocating roles to players? Is there some mechanism by which older people are assigned more static roles for at least part of a game? I suppose the older you are the more often you are likely to get shot, so at least there will be plenty of breaks.:D

Anyway, I really don't know now whether to go along to the Mill or not, and I would appreciate your advice. Please don't tell me what I might want to hear. I need the the truth, and preferably from somebody who has been to the Mill. My wife and kids (all adults) reckon I am barmy for even considering it. The thought of me taking part in a CQB skirmish worries them a lot. I am not a weed, and was a decent sportsman in my day. People say I don't look my age. But appearance doesn't always mean much.

Whatever happens I will continue to take an interest in airsoft. I could always buy another two tone gun and shoot it in my garden or at my local airgun. The red two tones aren't too bad. You get used to them.

If you're wanting something more static then maybe using a sniper could be useful for that kind of gameplay, in theory depending on how you upgraded your gun you'd be able to upgrade the accuracy and distance meaning you've got an advantage overall. 

Maybe try some woodland events to start with to ease you in then see how you feel from there :)

• Supporters

Are you a fit and able person (ish)? Can you break into a trot for short periods of time?

If yes then go skirmish, you will probably enjoy the bejesus out of it.

Once you've got your face protection on, nobody is going to know how old you are unless you tell them. I've played with at least two sexagenarians that I know of, skill and cunning count for a lot more than being able to run about like a loon. Also, at the average Sunday skirmish, marshals don't allocate roles as such unless there's a specific game type that requires someone to play a particular part, even then you can always say no. 

Hey! I’m a regular at the mill. Are you based local? I live in Abram. 

In in regards to roles, in the mill it’s just split up into two teams and they both have at it. There are objective games and things to do, but nobody is assigned to them. You can run around like an idiot or play slow and steady. As long as you’re reasonably healthy you should be good. The worst part of the day is walking up 3 flights of stairs to get there lol. 

Keep yourself nice and light and don’t try to keep up with some other players. I’m 27 and play every week and I can’t be doing with the sprinting around like idiots some of the kids do haha. 

If youre local enough, I’m happy to meet up with you on a Saturday game or show you some of the guns I have if you’re thinking of buying anymore. 

If you want a really slow paced game but with perhaps more walking, woodland is also a good option 

Go, go play, go enjoy. 

Tell a Marshall what you can and cannot do. 

I have seen players exempted from walking to respond points before, etc., just let the organisers know. They want happy, repeat customers, am sure it will be fine. 

Just to add to these guys. You are as old as you feel and if you have the mind set to go for it, then you should. The secret to a long good life without the aches and pains is to keep going. I see quite a few senior guys at Frontier and the word Respect goes out to them and to be honest, some of them can run rings around the younger guys. Take Wolf up on his offer!!!

Yep, go for it.  You won't know unless you try.

If you don't like it then you don't have to go back and you won't have the regret of not trying it.

If you do an outdoor woodland game then the most important thing will be good boots that support the ankles.

You can move at whatever speed you like. Slow and stealthy is a good tactic and there will always be plenty of 'kids' willing to rush ahead ;)

Go, play as a hire. Minimal cost to yourself and take it from there.

if you love it, kiss goodbye to your bank balance. If you don't enjoy it, your a few quid out of pocket with the knowledge that at least you tried. 

Its amazing what what you can do if you want. I spent a couple of years training and playing American football......after picking it up at 39. Loved it. Only gave it up as it got far too expensive. With my other hobbies. 

My knees are screwed, my back aches, my lungs have lost capacity, I can sprint in bursts, and I’m getting on to 50

Just do it

You may be capable or you may not

You may love it or you may hate it

Only one way to find out

Whats the worst that can happen ? you fall

over and break old man hips, but then get new ones fitted

• Supporters

There's absolutely no reason you couldn't play the game. Yes Airsoft is an active sport however nobody expects you to be up front sprinting about for 6 hours at a time. You can hang back picking off the opponents if you want. Just play the game how you like and to the best of your ability. At the end of the day the only thing stoppping you is yourself. 

I'd say give it a shot. The worst that can happen is you don't enjoy it and end up saving yourself a ton of money. On second thought, that might not be such a bad thing..

i agree with everyone above i am 50 now and only just got into airsoft last year and love it - i have a bad knee and bad back and it dose not stop me enjoying it, as people have said you can choose your own role as i do - sometimes i am a slow stealthy sniper - i do not move much and enjoy hiding in the woods for a rest and a lie down :) other times i am leading the charge (well sort off) i walk at a fast pace :). also most games your will re-spawn a lot when your shot and if you need a rest like i do sometimes i just hang around the re-spawn point until  your ready to go. also the sites i play you get a nice break between games and a chance for a drink and a sit down and if you do not want to you can just sit the game one out .  Go to a site rent a gun and give it a try what the worse that can happen ?....your get hooked like me and spend loads on money on guns and gear .

• Moderators

just do it!

Theres an older gentleman who plays at Urban Assault (some on here will know who i mean) he seems to have no issues with moving around the CQB site

until you have tried you'll never know :)

• Supporters

I met a guy last year at RIFT ridge battlesim game. He was 69 then. He said he is a little slower on climbing up and down the hills, and trust me those hills are steep, but apart from that, he was good.

It's entirely up to you how fast you go. I would say CQB is harder on your knees. Woodland skirmish is slower.

Hi. I am an older player and have been playing for quite a few years. I play every week and night games in the summer. Just hire an aeg and try it out I’m sure you will be welcomed. There is a Facebook page, Old Bloke Airsoft. that you may find useful. Do it! Be warned though it is addictive! 

Go for it.. I've chatted with several players over 60 recently and they love the sport. I'm 43 and started in November.  I hope to carry on as long as I'm able. And even when I can't I'll get the best sniper rifle I can and still have some fun. Good thing is you can pace yourself. 

Good luck and have fun

In napoleonic times everyone marched to battle and still got stuck in. Got me thinking there must be some redcoats linebattling it with airsoft muskets somewhere! Now that's something I'd try for a laugh.

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Markuz said:

In napoleonic times everyone marched to battle and still got stuck in. Got me thinking there must be some redcoats linebattling it with airsoft muskets somewhere! Now that's something I'd try for a laugh.

C3 Tactical did a Napoleonic day a couple of years back, Shoot and Scoot do a range of re-enactment gear including an airsoft Brown Bess musket too! http://www.shootandscoot.co.uk/product-category/1800-1900/flintsoft/

12 hours ago, Lozart said:

C3 Tactical did a Napoleonic day a couple of years back, Shoot and Scoot do a range of re-enactment gear including an airsoft Brown Bess musket too! http://www.shootandscoot.co.uk/product-category/1800-1900/flintsoft/

Thanks for the heads up. Looks interesting 

My old man's 70 near 71 I'm 34 we both play and work together. He's what I aspire to be at his age. Go for it, you'll love it. 

Go for it! Play your way, play your style, have tonnes of fun!!! This is game, its only purpose it to entertain you. 

If you meet big boys with toy guns who think they are soldiers because they have look like equipment just let them argue which one on them has biggest di..... (I meant most expensive equipment) and let them go ahead (they will be probably first to take a bb from some random guy running DoubleEagle spring shotgun ;) ).

Ignore buffoons, stick to those who treat the game as a fun day out and you will be fine.

Don't get me wrong it's fine to be geardo if this rocks your boat but it is not ok to be geardo who thinks he is as good as SpecOps because he learn few gestures, comments and has outfit that looks just like their. 

At the end of day we are bunch of adults who are getting up early on Sunday to meet people and shoot them with plastic bb's using toy guns - how bloody serious this can be taken :)

Archived