Ics ape shooting issues

ghostwalker
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I picked up a 2nd hand ics ape a month or so ago. It had just been fitted with a new hop unit and hop bucking. 

Last game day it shot flawlessly though it does seem to struggle a little with the .28 bb’s. (Can’t seem to get the hop dialled in just right. It’s either not enough and they dip or it jams up on the next notch of hop application). 

But today it was misbehaving like heck. Generally shooting fine (285fps on asg  blaster devil .28’s). Then all of a sudden nothing, gears cycled and gun fired and no bb’s. Then a couple would fly out next shot , followed by a couple of shots that flew maybe 20 feet and then it would shoot just fine again. This went on throughout the morning. Sometimes a couple of shots sometimes five or six bb’s would blast out scatter shot style. 

On returning home I checked the hop rubber (fully applied it and looked through the barrel) I couldn’t see any noticeable damage, but the barrel was a bit mucky  so I gave the inner barrel a few pull throughs. 

I check the nozzle and its got some minor wear marks on the outside of the plastic. But there’s no actual damage, nicks or chips to the end of the nozzle. 

Mags being used are all ics mags. Only change over the fortnight has been from asg cursed .28’s to asg blaster devil .28’s. 

Not really sure what else could be the cause. 

On someone’s advice elsewhere I removed the hop unit to check the rubber and bucking (think that’s the correct term). 

The rubber bed looks to be fine. But the black bucking has what appears to be a split in it. Could this be the problem?

BDFEA6F5-44D9-4587-878C-605F93C7D13C.jpeg

992D3A44-B652-41E9-BB0A-3A66FD3019BA.jpeg

Everything else seems ok to be honest. Gun cycles fine. Tappet plate is fully pulling back and pushing the nozzle fully forward. 

Barrel has been cleaned thoroughly.

Because it’s a very intermittent problem it’s almost impossible to just ‘recreate’ it. 

Visually the nub nub is the only damaged piece I can find on th gun. Thinking replacing it with a prommie purple bucking and nub might be a good idea. And taking it from there. 

Well fingers crossed it's all now sorted. 

After much swearing, nearly losing the new prommie nub and one hell of a fight. The prommie purple bucking and nub are installed in place of the previous hop rubber set. 

Test fired a mag of 300 .28 asg blaster Devils. Fed perfectly well, hit a target the size of a saucer at about 20 metres with 100% accuracy. 

Cant test at longer ranges until next weekend. But all looks good. 

Archived