Spade vs Bullet connector and does it matter ?

Hatchett
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I dont know much about electronics....

Im looking for a connector that joins the wiring from the rear of my gearbox(V2) and another wire into the buffer tube which connects to the battery and mosfet. Are spade connectors or bullet connectors better?(I have very limited space in my buffer tube so i cant really go bigger) I have both 2mm bullet connectors and 2.8mm spade connectors available to use.

Will either of these cause a noticeable issue or lack of performance compared to using deans and can they handle the amp draw of my AEG? Any negative consequences to these connectors?

Im running a SHS high torque motor(16Tpa), 7.4V battery on Deans connectors, Gate Mosfet ASR, 16 AWG wiring.

Cheers

21.jpg

I take it you cannot run the wires directly from the motor to the deans?

Every extra connection in a wiring system will add extra resistance period.

Keep number of connections to a minimum and make sure they are good connections.

The 2.8 blades will be fine for what you are running as you have no choice but isn't the best setup.

If you can run new wire overlong from the motor, route and hang it out the back of the stock then solder on your deans, best job.

Its not like you should have to take the stock off if you do all your testing prior to fitting the stock.

Why do you need extra connectors there at all? If it's too much hassle to rewire, then I'd solder and heatshrink. While you're at it shorten the trigger cable as well to keep things neat.

17 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

Why do you need extra connectors there at all? If it's too much hassle to rewire, then I'd solder and heatshrink. While you're at it shorten the trigger cable as well to keep things neat.

Its to do with the buffer tube really and not having a connector would mean having to de-solder every time I open the gearbox. This gun is sort of a project and so I am opening the gearbox frequently which is why I need a small connector. I guess purchasing a different buffer tube that allows Deans to pass through may be the best option. My current buffer tube is a single piece with the washer inside being permanently welded in position. This means only small connectors can pass through though. 

As long as the bullet connectors don't a add significant amount of resistance and reduce trigger response, ROF etc. then I will just use them.

I definitely will shorten those trigger cables too.

1 hour ago, Davegolf said:

I take it you cannot run the wires directly from the motor to the deans?

Every extra connection in a wiring system will add extra resistance period.

Keep number of connections to a minimum and make sure they are good connections.

The 2.8 blades will be fine for what you are running as you have no choice but isn't the best setup.

If you can run new wire overlong from the motor, route and hang it out the back of the stock then solder on your deans, best job.

Its not like you should have to take the stock off if you do all your testing prior to fitting the stock.

Id like to use a connector so i don't have to de-solder every time i open the gearbox. This gun is sort of a project and so I am opening the gearbox frequently. I could buy a different buffer tube that allows deans to pass through(probably easiest option), but so long as as the bullet connectors don't a add significant amount of resistance and reduce trigger response and ROF then I will just use them.

Cheers

Just a note, not all buffer tubes have that D shaped washer permanently attached, most seem attached but are actually just wedged in a taper, if you tap it out or tap the stock they usually come out, I've done what you're doing (mosfet in stock) many times, this way you can pass a connector through, I've managed to get an XT60 through and they are larger than Deans

Or if it's a project / development gun front wire it, battery in foregrip or PEQ

M4 stocks are gay lol

Give the washer a smack and see if it comes out. Failing that get in there with a Dremel. If you're going to use bullet connectors go for the long 3mm RC plane type ones. Skinny to fit through small gaps, but high current /low resistance.

12 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Just a note, not all buffer tubes have that D shaped washer permanently attached, most seem attached but are actually just wedged in a taper, if you tap it out or tap the stock they usually come out, I've done what you're doing (mosfet in stock) many times, this way you can pass a connector through, I've managed to get an XT60 through and they are larger than Deans

Or if it's a project / development gun front wire it, battery in foregrip or PEQ

M4 stocks are gay lol

8 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

Give the washer a smack and see if it comes out. Failing that get in there with a Dremel. If you're going to use bullet connectors go for the long 3mm RC plane type ones. Skinny to fit through small gaps, but high current /low resistance.

Will try these.

Thanks

Archived