New target in Yorkshire

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all, 
I just bought a nuprol defender (a nice bright blue!), with a view to some backyard plinking with my son (which is why I chose something small) and some actual playing airsoft myself.
Haven't got much else at the moment, as I figured I should probably figure out what I like / how I want to play before dropping ££££ on kit for it to end up on sale when I realise it's not what I want!
I've done 1 CQB evening at Halo Mills, which was a lot of fun. Tomorrow I'm heading for Halo Mills: Proving Ground for the day - I'm hoping that should be fun too!
Current kit:
Gun and 2 hi cap mags + 2 NiMh 1600mah batteries (+ bbs, although I have no clue how many I'll need for the day - any suggestions welcome!)

Mesh goggles / mouth cover

Boots / combats / gloves / hat / buff /  black softshell / small camo rucksack.
I'm a big lad, so am aiming to keep what I'm carrying to a minimum!
Any help or advice most welcome :D

You sound like you're approaching it sensibly, that'll never do!

:D

2000-3000 bb's should do you unless you're full-autoing everything for 3 hours straight.

Welcome to the forum :)

You are taking this very sensibly too be honest. 

In terms of bbs, there should be an on-site store that will sell more bbs if you run out but like Duff said, 2000-3000 should be plenty. But I mean, i personally used 500 bbs at my last outdoor game day lol. Doing CQB tomorrow so will see how many I burn through there.

• Head Moderator

Welcome :). Hope that you enjoy your day out. You have it covered, eye-pro, mouth guard, boots and gloves. Find what works and buy kit as you need it.

I would always take a second bottle of BBs, better to have too many than not enough.

Thanks for the replies chaps!
I went through about 800 or so in 2 hours of CQB. I'm not sure if you have a higher rate of fire there or in open ground?
So if I take a couple of bottles, I'm guessing I should be set.
Will two batteries get me through a day, do you think?

I got some camo tape for my lovely blue gun, but I'm not sure if there's any point? (I quite like blue!)
In terms of how a game day goes, do you have to carry everything with you, or can you leave stuff somewhere?

38 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

Thanks for the replies chaps!
I went through about 800 or so in 2 hours of CQB. I'm not sure if you have a higher rate of fire there or in open ground?
So if I take a couple of bottles, I'm guessing I should be set.
Will two batteries get me through a day, do you think?

I got some camo tape for my lovely blue gun, but I'm not sure if there's any point? (I quite like blue!)
In terms of how a game day goes, do you have to carry everything with you, or can you leave stuff somewhere?

There is always a safe zone to leave kit in if you don't want it. And you will return there between games.

CQB does typically have a heavier bb usage than outdoors due to the fact you see targets more often.

Camo tape isn't an issue as such, (although i find that a red team member with a blue two tone gun can cause friendly fire issues lol) as Duff said, they spot you before they spot the gun.

And for batteries it depends on capacity.

Some days you use more charge as you fire more.. Other days you don't... Just trial and error. I rarely get through a battery in woodland but i carry 2 just in case. But then again, i don't run in like rambo. So it depends on play style :D

2 minutes ago, LightningCh said:

Camo tape isn't an issue as such, (although i find that a red team member with a blue two tone gun can cause friendly fire issues lol) as Duff said, they spot you before they spot the gun.

That's a good point - I hadn't thought of friendly fire! I think Camo it is, as I don't fancy twice as many peeps shooting at me as should be!
At the site the other day there was a chap who was on the blue team, but had bright red gloves. You can guess what happened...

Hey there fella. I'm also off to Proving Grounds tomorrow!

They run a bit differently to most sites; there's no individual, short games.
Instead, it's one long continuous scenario, and you can just drop in/out as you wish, if you want to get something to eat, or just need a breather or whatever.

1 hour ago, sonofsammo said:

That's a good point - I hadn't thought of friendly fire! I think Camo it is, as I don't fancy twice as many peeps shooting at me as should be!
At the site the other day there was a chap who was on the blue team, but had bright red gloves. You can guess what happened...

Yeah I know lol,
Happens all the time at my site, even I'm guilty of it and shot a friendly for things like a red two toned gun, as I always play on blue team. so if I see any red im pulling the trigger lol.

Sometimes I feel that the tape on your arm isn't really a clear way of telling who is friendly and who is enemy. I will never forget my first game where I wandered between a squad of about 5 guys in the open, all of which had blue two tone guns... So i thought i was fine since I'm blue armband... Turned out they were red armband lol... None of us even realised til I looked twice at their arms and suddenly it became clear... (Gotta love a 5 man "killfeed" lol)

Is it ok to transfer the gun in something other than a gun case/bag, so long as it’s not visible?

I thought I had a gun bag, but my wife seems to have got rid of it!

I’m going to have to use a large rucksack instead. 

As Hudson said perfectly ok. It's more down to how much you want to protect it when you are travelling which dictates the thing you put it in.
Also Hudson I love your signature lol.

On 03/02/2018 at 2:50 PM, Hudson said:

Hey there fella. I'm also off to Proving Grounds tomorrow!

They run a bit differently to most sites; there's no individual, short games.
Instead, it's one long continuous scenario, and you can just drop in/out as you wish, if you want to get something to eat, or just need a breather or whatever.

It was an absolute blast! And the mortars added that special something... How was your day?

My first time out with my own gun (and only my second every game) - All things considered, I fared reasonably well -

It was an inauspicious start at the chrono, however - 89fps - yup - 89!
The bbs were literally just falling out of the end of the gun.
So I swapped the battery - no difference. Then the marshal asked me about the hop up - which being new I had no clue about.
I'd just swapped from .2 to .25, so apparently this needed fiddling with.
Managed to get it up to 280 - but I have no idea if this is good/bad/indifferent.
I was outranged by some AEGs (full auto), which was annoying, but all in all it was pretty good. Decently accurate, all things considered.
But, I really really would like a bit more range - I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong, or could be doing anything different?
Am running 1600mah 9.6 NiMh at the moment. 
It was a cracking day out - I think I could quite easily get addicted to this lark and I'm really looking forward to my next game (whenever that may be!).....

6 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

My first time out with my own gun (and only my second every game) - All things considered, I fared reasonably well -

It was an inauspicious start at the chrono, however - 89fps - yup - 89!
The bbs were literally just falling out of the end of the gun.
So I swapped the battery - no difference. Then the marshal asked me about the hop up - which being new I had no clue about.
I'd just swapped from .2 to .25, so apparently this needed fiddling with.
Managed to get it up to 280 - but I have no idea if this is good/bad/indifferent.
I was outranged by some AEGs (full auto), which was annoying, but all in all it was pretty good. Decently accurate, all things considered.
But, I really really would like a bit more range - I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong, or could be doing anything different?
Am running 1600mah 9.6 NiMh at the moment. 
It was a cracking day out - I think I could quite easily get addicted to this lark and I'm really looking forward to my next game (whenever that may be!).....

Yay, I'm not the only one who messed up first time with a chrono lol.
I put .2s in my mag and told the marshals they were .25s and then the gun fired 335fps which is waaaayyy too hot for .25s and i was like "oh... hmm..."
A whole 89 fps is brilliant though lol, never seen that before.
280 on .25s is pretty much what you want from what I can gather. I wouldn't be too worried about those fps readings.
Being a stock budget level entry gun I would expect some guns to out range you. Your hopup can also affect your range if you can fiddle with it properly. Can be annoying I know, but I'm pretty sure people will out range my own guns when im in woodland next. As stock guns just don't always cut it against the upgrades people have. Just an incentive to get into tech work imo lol.

The only thing you could be doing wrong in terms of range is having the hop set "incorrectly" so higher or lower than optimum setting for the bb weight and gun.

Other than that, it's upgrades and new parts going into it to increase range. (If I have missed something to be said, I'm sure the other members will jump in)

14 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

It was an absolute blast! And the mortars added that special something... How was your day?

Ehh, it was okay.

Proving Grounds isn't my favourite site; too many people for the size and too much non-stop action for my tastes, but I like the full-day scenario, and it was a handy mid-way point for me and my friends.
I don't go there very often, but it makes a change!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Archived