major flyers

madmogga
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi looking for  a few pointers on what to try next , ive have just finished an upgrade on a ICS cxp uk1 – put in a Prometheus 6.03 barrel and maple leaf bucking with flat nub, rewired to deans and changed the motor, upgraded to a metal nozzle with o ring and upgraded the cylinder head. FPS around 345 +/- 3 fps. so air seal is ok -

Ive just tired it out and I am getting major flyers – shooting in my garden at 25mtr at a target 2’ square I am getting hardly any hits – the bbs are flying left right up and down basically no pattern or consistency at all. Ive cleaned the barrel and also the bucking and also swapped to another bucking,  ptfe tape around the barrel in case of wobble, ive also checked the bucking is centred and also the nub, I know its not the bb’s as I popped the same mag in my specna arms and got a spread of only 3”. Hop up is an ics metal hop so I cant swap for another unit- i thought it might be the hop arm  but that not showing any movement or wobble and is nice and tight as i cant even get a small shim on the arm. 

Any ideas on what to try next ?

Flat nubs with regular hop rubbers can work, but not usually with a Maple Leaf. Try a regular cylindrical nub.

I’ll swap the nub and see what happens although I don’t think that is the issue as I’ve used that combo before and the maple leaf recommends thier omega nub which is a curved flat nub I just don’t get on with the omegas so stick with flat nubs

ok so i swapped over the nub and it did not have any effect, while i had it apart i looked again at barrel wobble and found even though i had put 3 - 4  wraps of ptfe tape on the barrel it was still able to move not much but thier was movement  - i also noticed their was not brass ring over the barrel to lock it into the hop unit so i am definitely starting to think barrel movement is the issue. last thing i noticed was on my Prometheus barrel the window was very narrow - maybe the bucking mound is catching ? -  ill do some more work on this when i am able to test again over the weekend

• 1 month later...

Did you get any further with this?

I have an ICS UK1 and have been looking to upgrade my barrel to some thing a bit longer as I have a silencer on the front of mine.

What length did you go to?

15 minutes ago, bakerwrx said:

Did you get any further with this?

I have an ICS UK1 and have been looking to upgrade my barrel to some thing a bit longer as I have a silencer on the front of mine.

What length did you go to?

HI Yes i did get a bit further with this, in fact i took the gun out for its first skirmish yesterday, and i was extremely impressed with the range and accuracy and also the consistency from it. i did spend a bit of money on it in the end but i think it was worth it based on the performance i got yesterday.  this is what i put in it

Prometheus 430mm 6.03 barrel - I lapped the barrel using HSA lapping kit (ive done this on a  few barrels and in my opinion helps improve the accuracy a lot)

Maple Leaf 60o bucking

Maxx IE hop chamber

Suppressor used to hide barrel length but more important to allow me to put barrel spacers in their to stabilise the barrel - i used some G-SPEC spacers with o rings then wrapped a bit  of tape around the outside to get a sung fit in the suppressor

I also use o-rings over the barrel rather than a spring to ensure their is no movement in the barrel/hop

For the upper i put in a Maxx Cylinder head & 21mm Nozzle onto a Ultimate Cylinder (correct Size for air volume/barrel length)

I find the Maxx Nozzle seals a lot better than the ICS metal

This gives me a very good and consistent air-seal only about 2 FPS difference 

Was using .25g BB and my FPS was 340 when measured with .2g BB's

If you  need any more info let me know, ive have not done any meaningful testing wise yet as in measured target shooting but out in the field yesterday it felt like i was hitting everything i aimed at, and even on full auto the grouping was great. 

Your also notice from the image below ive changed the stock - this was to allow me to fit my Gate Mosfet and use 1600a 9.6v batteries as  i prefer these over 7.4 LiposIMG_1822.thumb.jpg.b585a64428a5d4c8de168b6704191958.jpg

Hi mate

Thanks for the info.

Brilliant idea with the VSR barrel spacers, I have noticed a bit of barrel movement in my standard gun.

It was great out of the box around October last year running a consistent 340ish on .2s but on my last skirmish the fps has dropped dramatically to about 260fps on .25 BB's with a 10fps spread which strangely improved to about 275 on full auto. So I'm pretty certain I have sealing issues.

I think it's time for a strip down and rebuild ready for the spring but info on ICS compatible upgrade parts online isn't particularly clear and this will be the first gun I've teched on.

I see you go to Airsoft Plantation so maybe I'll catch you up there sometime.

HI yep we was at Plantation this weekend in the rain and snow and probably going their or to Skirmish this weekend

Ive done a lot of work on my ICS guns so feel free to send me a PM if you need help or advice on what parts etc.

Archived