KJW P226 Full Metal - Internal Upgrades

Cyrax
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

This is just a quick beginners guide/ few tips when installing two components. I hope to add to it as I improve my own weapon.

New Cylinder - the G&P Enhanced Loading Nozzle

New Piston Set - the Laylax Nineball Dyna Piston.

I have not got any pictures due to how easy it was to install these parts, but here is an online manual/ diagram.

I do use a lot of "Part Numbers" so its handy to have that open when reading. If required i can put up pictures, ill just have to take my gun apart which i don't really want to do as i only just got it fixed!

New Cylinder is part number 12 (the cylinder)

New Piston Set is part numbers 4 (piston cap), 5 (piston screw) and 13 (cylinder valve spring).

I will refer to part 13 (cylinder valve spring) separately, as it needs to be installed when installing the New Cylinder

Disassembly

Step 1 - Lock the slide back, push the takedown lever to the downwards position, carefully unlock the slide and separate the slide from the rest of the weapon.

Step 2 - Remove the recoil spring guide, being careful not to let the spring fly off.

Step 3 - Remove the outer barrel. Everything left should be fixed into the top of the slide. The grey moving part that can be moved backwards and forwards is one of the parts that is being replaced.

Step 4 - Remove the three visible screws - one at the front, two at the back. The two at the back will also unscrew the rear sight. Be careful the spring and part behind the front screw (parts 8 and 9) don't fly off. You should be able to lift the whole piston block out (part 3), leaving the slide empty.

Step 5 - Place parts 8 and 9 safely aside, and slide off part 12 (the cylinder).

Installing your New Cylinder and Part 13 (the spring)

Step 1 - Unscrew the tiny screw on top of the part 12 (the cylinder). Now, if the parts inside (13, 14 and 15) are all stock, then you should be able to tip them out of the end of the tube.

Step 2 -Put the old cylinder aside and get your New Cylinder, and put the parts back in, starting with your New Spring (Part 13), then 14, then 15.

Step 3 - Rotate Part 15 until it drops down into place (it only fits in one way!). This next part can be tricky - i pushed down on the parts with my little finger on one hand, then screwed the tiny screw back in the top with the other.

Step 4 - You're done, put it all back together! (Jump down to Reassembly if you need a hand).

Installing the New Piston Set

Step 5 - Take the main piston block (part 3). It should not have the Cylinder on it. Looking at it from the front, there is a black rubber-like cap (part 4). Pull this off.

Step 6 - Underneath is a screw. Remove this.

Step 7 - Take your new piston cap (The red bit!), and screw it into the hole (from Step 6) using the new screw that came with the pack. Make sure the holes in the piston cap are facing forward. Test the cylinder by sliding it back and forth over the new piston cap. It should move with minimal resistance - but there must be some resistance, other wise your gas efficiency will be very poor. Too tight however, and the gun won't cycle/ shoot properly.

Step 8 - You're done, put it all back together! (Jump down to Reassembly if you need a hand).

Reassembly

Step 1 - Make sure any work you have done is finished - e.g. screws tightened. It is worth spraying some silicon oil over any parts that move to improve their lifespan, decrease (unwanted) resistance and improve performance. Here is a good guide with a few pictures.

Step 2 - Slide the cylinder back into the piston block. It only goes in one way.

Step 3 - Looking at it from the top, insert the return spring and plunger (parts 8 and 9) down the left hand side.

Step 4 - Put the block back into the top of the slide. The screw at the front also serves as stopper for the plunger, so as you slot it into position, use a small screw diver (or similar) to push the spring back. With the block in position, test its all installed properly by pulling the loading nozzle forward- it should spring back, just like when you started.

Step 5 - Insert all the screws - remember you have to put the rear sites back on with the back two screws.

Step 6 - Put the outer barrel back in. It slots in easily.

Step 7 - Next, the spring guide and spring can be a pain, but it just takes some wiggling and eventually you can slot it back into the outer barrel.

Step 8 - Slide the slide back, and push the take down lever back into the horizontal position.

Done!

Notes:

The upgraded Nineball spring is believed to cause an increase in gas use, as more gas is needed to move the stiffer spring. For this reason, i tested it but decided to leave it out.

Installing the newer, more powerful spring makes assembling and disassembling the cylinder more difficult, as the spring forces the other parts out at some speed - be careful.

Two O-rings come with the new piston head - neither are a good fit for the G&P Enhanced Loading Nozzle. I got a pack from halfords for £1.60 that had a perfect fit in it.

Very simple guide but let me know what you think/ if its easy to follow.

• 1 year later...
  • Supporters

Thinking of upgrading my pistol with the aim of making it perform better in the cold.

What would you recommend for that?

What are the upgrades mentioned here for? Higher fps? Better consistency?

I've reached a stage where all my guns have to either be as good as they can physically be, or replaced for something better and my KJW is sat on the brink of the drop off between being too crap to use, but having the upgrade potential to save it if someone can let me know what needs doing.

• Supporters

Yeah I know it's an old thread, but since it's a guide I figured bringing it back from the dead wouldn't be such an issue lol.

• 8 months later...

Hi, sorry to awaken an old thread but does anyone know where I can get a replacement return plunger (part 8) ?

Long story short, in reassembly the plunger shot across the room with the spring, I found the spring just short of the edge of a wall where the floor boards are starting to lift... The plunger appears to have gone under the floor boards and I have no way of getting it back lol.

• Supporters

If you go on KJWorks' website and email them, just let them know you want to buy a part, let them know the gun, model number and part number, and they ought to get back to you with a price and you can just buy through them directly.

You'll need a PayPal account though, if you don't have one already.

If you go on KJWorks' website and email them, just let them know you want to buy a part, let them know the gun, model number and part number, and they ought to get back to you with a price and you can just buy through them directly.

You'll need a PayPal account though, if you don't have one already.

Thanks Ed. :)

Archived