Tactical Dad needing advice

Countryman
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

33 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Oh, I know.  I reckon I'll need to buy a sniper, another AEP, and an MP5K for my "son" soon. ;)

Errrrrrr, yup. My daughter has an ICS M4 and a WE G17, both teal and white, and a black TM Patriot with folding stock and hi-cap drum mag lol

Having played my first game I think I'm going to want something with a bit more range. Not that charging a fixed defence wasn't challenging and fun with an equal number of attackers and defenders but in all the actions we played the big disappointment for me was not being able to reach out as I'm used to. A marksman on our side would have whittled them down.

The M90 Spring yielded a modest 280fps. Was OK but a bit of a damp squib on an otherwise fantastic event.

How long until my Airsoft Acne dies down? Damn sniper in the tower!

Told you you'd like it ;)

• Supporters

It is frustrating when you can't quite slap your balls into your target's face.

You can try lobbing them higher, but ultimately it comes down to more forward thrust, while squeezing down harder at the base of your barrel.

I hosed down a few blokes with quite a high angle of fire and walking it forward until its connected. Concept seemed lost on some opponents but then was using iron sights and not looking down a scope so had the advantage of the bigger picture. Need to sort this out though.

Yes I really enjoyed it. I had a couple of really memorable kills, used a smoke grenade, landed an impact grenade next to a group of enemies that if it had of landed on harder ground and gone off would have been a game changer. When it failed I got sprayed for my trouble when they realised. My lad had issues with his face mask and getting too hot and dumped his vest before we actually started. He got ticked off for removing his Eye Protection whilst taking off a layer at the respawn and for a few minutes I thought the day was doomed because he was so frustrated. Then he hosed down a group of enemies coming back from their respawn and the magic happened.

At lunchtime the drying sweat and drizzle made him cold and he had had enough. Even the big ole burger couldn't change warm him up.  So I quit while we were ahead. At home I got left to empty the car and start cleaning the mud off everything he had touched. Wasn't at my most positive at that point.

Then this morning he sent me a text from school asking if we could go again this weekend!

Happy Dad.

So have had a new spring arrive which I look forward to fitting on Saturday. "Look forward" might be a bit strong.

Lots of other fun bits have arrived courtesy of the Bay.

Have just booked again for Sunday!

Oh, wow no one responded.

Glad you enjoyed your first game day! And glad it worked out well with your lad. :)

I've never touched my guns for anything other than necessity of use so i cant say anything on that. (closest i get to going inside the gun is opening the stock to put the battery in lol)

Well, second game yesterday at Warminster and had a lot of fun. Boy was this week armed with his new prized possession, a GBB pistol alongside his trusty AEG, scored no kills but tried to Pew Pew everything with the pistol and loved it. However being a typical 12 year old he dropped the pistol in the mud and he dropped the magazine in the mud - twice- and so dear old Dad spend an hour cleaning mud out of every crevice of it last night. Luckily all of my real firearms kit for this job fits this job too. I wish I had taken pictures of how much I got out! Cleaned and lubricated and its runs fantastically again.

He was also rocking a Sparta mask this week but the site was concerned about the lack of side protection so he had to wear glasses underneath anyway. I think I can mod the mask to cover this, just needs a bend and trim with a Dremmel to fit under the rim of the helmet. I had also knocked up my own set of face protection this week courtesy of last weeks reminder in the teeth.

I wired a mesh face shield through the ventilation holes in a pair of Bolle Commanders. This worked really well, I just wish I could get my spectacles not to fog up when I've got a sweat on! Its becoming apparent that you can waste a lot of money in this sport optimising load out for the individual. At half time, my lad swapped to the Commanders and I went back to my range glasses with the prescription inserts and no face protection for which I got sniped in the cheek.

My R85 continues to irritate me. Now on its 4th spring and the FPS was an unbelievable 218! So much for the M95. I think I'm going to have to buy a chronograph. Was still achieving 50m with it on a high arc of fire but I'm now convinced snipering is the way to go for me.

1 hour ago, Countryman said:

I wired a mesh face shield through the ventilation holes in a pair of Bolle Commanders. This worked really well, I just wish I could get my spectacles not to fog up when I've got a sweat on! Its becoming apparent that you can waste a lot of money in this sport optimising load out for the individual. At half time, my lad swapped to the Commanders and I went back to my range glasses with the prescription inserts and no face protection for which I got sniped in the cheek.

Nikwax Visor clear... used for motorbike visors and I've been testing it over the past few months and its the best things ive ever bought and i sweat up a storm when playing.

1 minute ago, clumpyedge said:

Nikwax Visor clear... used for motorbike visors and I've been testing it over the past few months and its the best things ive ever bought and i sweat up a storm when playing.

Thanks Clumpy. Had never heard of such a thing but makes complete sense!

I tried everything recommended in the past but considering Nikwax's reputation for things like waterproofing outdoor gear i thought it was worth a punt and it paid off! I generally spray both sides of the outer lens and then my actual prescription lens as well and leave till semi dry then buff off with a micro fibre cloth.

No play past weekend but a goody box arrived from Zero One including a Chronograph.

So have had the Gearbox out of the R85 at least 10 times now. In the end just took a wire cutter and file to the original spring which was yielding the same result as the M100. First cut delivered a tantalising 353ft/s. Just a little more and I am consistantly achieving 335 ft/s and that’ll do me.

This has been a learning curve but I and the boy are hooked.

• 1 month later...

Sunday marked our 5th game at Warminster Airsoft. This time I took both of my daughters too, as well as a friend of mine and a friend of my boy. What a cracking day! Even the rain stopped for the morning.

Having served my time and done more than the requisite number of games I was finally rewarded with my UKARA number.

I have settled into the role of Sniper over the last month or so and am eagerly awaiting my Noveritch to arrive.

Wanted to say thank you to the members of this site for their help and patience getting started in a most enjoyable passtime. 

On 2/5/2018 at 9:43 AM, Countryman said:

Its becoming apparent that you can waste a lot of money in this sport optimising load out for the individual

This is what I have been saying forever. Too many people want all the gear first before they play, there are too many things which are all personal preference. I have hundreds of pounds worth of kit I wont wear again, its all in an old wardrobe in my garage its ridiculous.

Sounds like you got stuck in and worked out what was best for you. Good on ya!!

Glad your both enjoying playing though :) 

Archived