What is the logic behind this.

LightningCh
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So... Completely unrelated to airsoft, but related to my recent attempts to find a lock that will fit my carry case.

My mom asked me to get the TSA Lock out from a box in the cupboard, and we only have the 1 key for it.

So my mom, being a genius, has decided to store them together... Like this...

http://prntscr.com/ib2vn0

Yeah, the key for the lock is the key on the shackle... 

9 hours ago, L3wisD said:

Plot twist: she's locked you in and turned over an egg timer.

You've got three minutes to figure it out while this is playing on the DAB Radio in the kitchen

Lol, I don't even think she could figure out how an egg timer works after seeing this lock :lol:

1 hour ago, LightningCh said:

So... Completely unrelated to airsoft, but related to my recent attempts to find a lock that will fit my carry case.

My mom asked me to get the TSA Lock out from a box in the cupboard, and we only have the 1 key for it.

So my mom, being a genius, has decided to store them together... Like this...

20180114_141500.thumb.jpg.e9dff4546cb23d5717d8859098913a65.jpg

Yeah, the key for the lock is the key on the shackle... 

You aren’t going to lose your last key now

What she has done is to copy how lock manufacturers sell them - but missed out the ring that the lost key is attached to

A bit of special skills will unlock that, or get a TSA toolset

• Supporters

And the moral is: never try to understand the mind of a woman, any woman !

:)

• Head Moderator

I prefer to use a combination lock because there are no keys to lose. Now if I could only remember the number ...

32 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

I prefer to use a combination lock because there are no keys to lose. Now if I could only remember the number ...

I got a free briefcase last night thrown in with the lot I did want in an auction 

One combination is open

The other is locked

Volunteers are welcome to sit going 0001 0002 0003 0004......

Or it will go on the shelf and become a prop

• Supporters

Combination locks of cheap make are easy to decipher and break into, and if you want to break into that padlock and don’t mind breaking it all you need are 2 spanners. Or a couple of small screwdrivers;)

Really good fun trying to break into padlocks, without damaging them.

On 17/01/2018 at 12:14, Prisce said:

Combination locks of cheap make are easy to decipher and break into, and if you want to break into that padlock and don’t mind breaking it all you need are 2 spanners. Or a couple of small screwdrivers;)

Really good fun trying to break into padlocks, without damaging them.

Yeah I know the brute force ways, but never tried to do it without damaging the lock

• Supporters

Did you know Lockpicking is a recognised sport? And much the same as Airsoft, you have to “register” to be allowed to own lockpicks and assosociated tools, anyone without this defence is liable to prosecution in the same way Airsofters without a defence are.

For the record I don’t partake in this sport. I have just had a few times to acquire and practice these skills legally.

1 hour ago, Prisce said:

Did you know Lockpicking is a recognised sport? And much the same as Airsoft, you have to “register” to be allowed to own lockpicks and assosociated tools, anyone without this defence is liable to prosecution in the same way Airsofters without a defence are.

For the record I don’t partake in this sport. I have just had a few times to acquire and practice these skills legally.

I’m not so sure that you have to register - but if you’ve got a reference and I’m out of date I’d like to know as I do own a set!

Legal use, which I dont do anymore.

My understanding is the circumstances would apply, and offences such as ‘going equipped’ if it can’t be reasonably explained.

I did once need to ‘satisfy the curiousity’ of a riot van full of Salisbury police once at about 3 or 4 am once when I was strolling along with a carrier bag with assorted items very suited to late night burglary

Also due to my neighbour being their custody sergeant and union rep, they were on their way to the house next door to the address I gave.

Gits didn’t give me a lift and were finishing their coffee when I eventually arrived 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Tommikka said:

I’m not so sure that you have to register - but if you’ve got a reference and I’m out of date I’d like to know as I do own a set!

Legal use, which I dont do anymore.

My understanding is the circumstances would apply, and offences such as ‘going equipped’ if it can’t be reasonably explained.

I did once need to ‘satisfy the curiousity’ of a riot van full of Salisbury police once at about 3 or 4 am once when I was strolling along with a carrier bag with assorted items very suited to late night burglary

Also due to my neighbour being their custody sergeant and union rep, they were on their way to the house next door to the address I gave.

Gits didn’t give me a lift and were finishing their coffee when I eventually arrived 

Correct- Again as with all laws it’s up for interpretation. 

If you have a set of lock picks at your own house, then there is no need to do anything. Your not breaking the law.

If your out shopping with a set of lock picks, your gonna be considered a weirdo, but if you haven’t and aren’t intending to comment a crime, your not breaking the law.

But if you are caught carrying them near someone else’s property, without being registered to a locksmith company/register you are probably going to be prosecuted, again the onus is on the police to prove you have intent, but if your at someone’s property with the right tools, that’s probable cause.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Tommikka said:

I got a free briefcase last night thrown in with the lot I did want in an auction 

One combination is open

The other is locked

Volunteers are welcome to sit going 0001 0002 0003 0004......

Or it will go on the shelf and become a prop

Try 1950-2018. You'd be surprised how many people set their combos to their birthdate (not that I go around pinching locks). 

8 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Try 1950-2018. You'd be surprised how many people set their combos to their birthdate (not that I go around pinching locks). 

This... It's why I never use my D.O.B for locks anymore, realised it's too easy and simple to flick through ~70-80 combinations when you are only changing 1 digit at a time.

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, LightningCh said:

This... It's why I never use my D.O.B for locks anymore, realised it's too easy and simple to flick through ~70-80 combinations when you are only changing 1 digit at a time.

Mine is the first 4 numbers of my old Wi-Fi password. Will never forget it as my internet sucked and constantly had to be reset..

Point is use something easy to remember but unique to you alone.

• Head Moderator
4 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Point is use something easy to remember but unique to you alone.

Exactly, I normally just use the nuclear launch code :ph34r:

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

Exactly, I normally just use the nuclear launch code :ph34r:

Didn't have something to do with Hawaii recently did you Jedi? ;)

55 minutes ago, Gepard said:

I prefer handing it to a niece/nephew, but they’ve grown up and learned from past experience 

and with further examination it has become apparent that

1) they are 3 digits

2) the open one has had the dial moved, so that’s no good for a clue

When I’m inside it I can reset it, but that means cracking the left one

• Head Moderator

I would just sit there and start at 000(0) and work upwards. A few hours watching the TV and dialling the combo one number at a time until it was cracked.

Big decision is whether to start at 0000 or 9999.

Archived