Special Considerations for EU Import?

Lollingsgrad
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm tempted by the discount I can get on the Cyma P90 if I buy from Taiwangun. I've heard of people buying from them before but they had this slightly worrying warning saying "For UK and Ireland orders shipping is at the customer’s own risk." This prompted me to try to work out what exactly the risk they're referring to is so as to ensure I'm not exposing myself to any legal risk just to save £50.

I spent some time searching these forums and am under the impression that I might need to fill out a firearms exemption? What does this entail and why is it required for an imitation?

Also I've heard that they sometimes require you to prove your UKARA and you have to rely on your game site for this. Could there be any legal repercussions if for any reason I can't get the proof? Would the RIF just be returned to sender? Also is there any special legislation around importing RIFs from the EU?

• Supporters

The only issue I can see arising is if it were stopped by customs because you didn't have a UKARA or membership number attached to the order. To make sure this doesn't happen just write it in the address section. 

Address line 3:

UKARA number xxxxxxx

If importing items to the UK from within the EU then there is no import duty or import VAT to be paid

You still need to be covered under the VCRA for a RIF

If importing from elsewhere then import duty or import VAT are payable if the item value is above thresholds, and the VCRA applies

The latest information is on the HMRC website

Taiwanguns message means that it is up to you to make sure you are legal, and are liable for any costs incurred on importing 

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Lollingsgrad said:

I spent some time searching these forums and am under the impression that I might need to fill out a firearms exemption?

I have no idea what that is.

Also I've heard that they sometimes require you to prove your UKARA

They who?

Taiwangun won't care, they're not committing an offence in the UK.  HMRC might care.

and you have to rely on your game site for this.

http://ukara.org.uk/ should confirm it if HMRC asks.

A UKARA number (or any other defence) isn't a license to import a RIF, but in practice, Border Farce say "The VCRA sets out a number of defences to prosecution which although [sic] do not technically apply at the point of import it is UK Border Agency policy to apply them to private individuals as if they did."

And folk clearly do manage to import RIFs without problems.  If you have a UKARA number, stick it in the address and don't worry about it.

45 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

And folk clearly do manage to import RIFs without problems.  If you have a UKARA number, stick it in the address and don't worry about it.

Yeah I guess I'm just nervous because the VCRA makes the manufacturing, selling and importing of RIFs a crime which means so far I haven't had to worry about it as a domestic consumer. Logically I know it's fine it just makes me nervous, the whole defense business always sounded to me like "we will prosecute you but you can try saying this in court if you like". Not that reassuring; I'd be a lot happier if UKARA WAS a license.

3 hours ago, Lollingsgrad said:

Yeah I guess I'm just nervous because the VCRA makes the manufacturing, selling and importing of RIFs a crime which means so far I haven't had to worry about it as a domestic consumer. Logically I know it's fine it just makes me nervous, the whole defense business always sounded to me like "we will prosecute you but you can try saying this in court if you like". Not that reassuring; I'd be a lot happier if UKARA WAS a license.

The term of ‘defence’ in the VCRA is defined in the act and doesn’t mean ‘this is something to defend yourself in court with’

As a domestic buyer the offence lies with the seller, as an importer it lies with the individual.

But you are covered.  The problem would be importing the wrong thing.  Worst case with legitimate airsoft is the item gets destroyed and you lose the money you spent.   Customs are very used to dealing with imported RIFs and UKARA details.

If you remain concerned then another option is to support a UK retailer and ask them to import for you.  It will probably cost you a little extra for them to be the middle man but you get a good feeling and they may manage a trade deal saving some money 

• Supporters
23 hours ago, Lollingsgrad said:

I'd be a lot happier if UKARA WAS a license.

So say we all.  Guilty until proven innocent is the new face of justice though. :(

20 hours ago, Tommikka said:

The term of ‘defence’ in the VCRA is defined in the act and doesn’t mean ‘this is something to defend yourself in court with’

Ultimately, that's exactly what it means.  That defences are habitually treated as though they were licences doesn't guarantee that will be the case in every instance.  The State can and does occasionally take the huff over the strangest things, and it tends to dig in or double down long after a reasonable person would admit their error. Apropos example.

Archived