Changing out the handguard on a CM16 Mod 0

Gepard
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
16 hours ago, Gepard said:

It's the 10.5" outer barrel with the 4" extension you're referring to right? 

Yes, that's correct. If you're looking for something similar in length to what you already have, try this one: https://www.weapon762.com/rifle-outer-barrels/1157-5ku-145-inch-m4-aeg-outer-standard-barrel.html

16 hours ago, Gepard said:

Okay, I've got the part of the delta ring that screws off now. I used the handguard as leverage. The barrel now detaches.

As for the gas block, I knocked out the two pins but it still won't budge. How do I remove the grubscrew you referred to, @Immortal? Is there a way to do it without specific tools?

20180112_012626.thumb.jpg.88432975f00f3fff8815772071d38ec0.jpg

I can't guarantee there is a grubscrew as it's not an A-sight gas block however if there is one it should be located where there would normally be a sling loop attachment on the underside of the block (yours is missing the link that would also normally be there). The bit I'm referring to is opposite the bayonet mount, the bit opposite with the rounded corners and a hole on each half. Inside should be the screw if it's there. Please note; there may be another pin in the sling loop area mentioned and you need to remove it to access the grub (if present).

I'm assuming the gas block is removable and not fixed as someone else mentioned! :)

You will need an allen/hex key. I don't know what size or if it's metric or imperial.

• Supporters
On 12/01/2018 at 5:18 PM, Immortal said:

I can't guarantee there is a grubscrew as it's not an A-sight gas block however if there is one it should be located where there would normally be a sling loop attachment on the underside of the block (yours is missing the link that would also normally be there). The bit I'm referring to is opposite the bayonet mount, the bit opposite with the rounded corners and a hole on each half. Inside should be the screw if it's there. Please note; there may be another pin in the sling loop area mentioned and you need to remove it to access the grub (if present).

I'm assuming the gas block is removable and not fixed as someone else mentioned! :)

You will need an allen/hex key. I don't know what size or if it's metric or imperial.

Jeez, that's tiny! I don't think I have any Allen keys that small.

Cool, you found one. I think you'll need to invest in a set of keys if you don't know the size you need.

They're handy to have and these will do for most jobs in a lifetime:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-Piece-Hex-Key-Set-Metric-And-Imperial-With-Case-Blue-Spot-15320-Allen/362123304190?epid=1904559068&hash=item54503b1cfe:g:18UAAOSwIylZ1y0l

One trick if you really want to get it out with the wrong tool is to find an even smaller key or a precision screw driver that fits in the opening and super glue it into the grub hole. You can let it set and turn it out. Bit extreme though but it does work.

I'd buy a key set!

• Supporters
Just now, Immortal said:

One trick if you really want to get it out with the wrong tool is to find an even smaller key or a precision screw driver that fits in the opening and super glue it into the grub hole. You can let it set and turn it out. Bit extreme though but it does work.

I'd buy a key set!

I didn't even know they made Allen keys that small. It's no bigger than 2mm wide.

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Immortal said:

Cool, you found one. I think you'll need to invest in a set of keys if you don't know the size you need.

They're handy to have and these will do for most jobs in a lifetime:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-Piece-Hex-Key-Set-Metric-And-Imperial-With-Case-Blue-Spot-15320-Allen/362123304190?epid=1904559068&hash=item54503b1cfe:g:18UAAOSwIylZ1y0l

Ordered this little set for a quid as I'm heading into town tomrorrow anyway and can just pick it up.

It has 1.5mm and 2mm Allen keys so hopefully I can get it out using this cheapo one. 

https://www.wilko.com/all-hand-tools/wilko-functional-metric-allen-key-8piece/invt/0209131

5 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Ordered this little set for a quid as I'm heading into town tomrorrow anyway and can just pick it up.

It has 1.5mm and 2mm Allen keys so hopefully I can get it out using this cheapo one. 

https://www.wilko.com/all-hand-tools/wilko-functional-metric-allen-key-8piece/invt/0209131

I was going to say take it with you and see what fits but... lol.... a barrel may look a little suspect! :D

For a quid it's worth a shot.

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Immortal said:

Did you get the grub out?

My item hasnt arrived at the store yet apparently, despite being in stock. Go figure, right? <_<

• Supporters

Got the bugger out using the smallest one in the set. Would highly recommend the one I bought for £1. I can see it coming in handy and there's a variety of sizes to use. 

Now I just need a barrel and I'm done! 

• Supporters

Got a couple of carbine length handguards to go with it. Just need a PEQ 2 box for the rail and I'll be good to go!

2018-01-21_05.35.38.jpg

17 hours ago, Gepard said:

Got a couple of carbine length handguards to go with it. Just need a PEQ 2 box for the rail and I'll be good to go!

2018-01-21_05.35.38.jpg

Looks fantastic! Really like the changes.

Archived